Walter Harley

Default church sound install questions

Two questions that folks on this group might have good answers for. The
context is that I'm upgrading the sound system for an old church. Budget is
minimal; so, thankfully, are expectations.

1) I need a mic on the piano. It needs to be able to work with lid open or
shut. It needs to be permanently attached - no gaff tape! Less than $200
would be nice. Any recommendations? (Sorry, I don't subscribe to
Recording - I saw the mention of the article there.)

2) The mic lines will need to run about 100' through a cold-air return under
the sanctuary. Am I correct that this means I should be using plenum rated
cable, rather than my old standby Belden 9451? Is there a similarly
"standard" plenum rated cable that everyone uses for fixed installs?

Thanks!
-walter

Arny Krueger

"Walter Harley" wrote in message

Two questions that folks on this group might have good answers for. The
context is that I'm upgrading the sound system for an old church.
Budget is minimal; so, thankfully, are expectations.

1) I need a mic on the piano. It needs to be able to work with lid
open or shut. It needs to be permanently attached - no gaff tape! Less
than $200 would be nice. Any recommendations? (Sorry, I don't
subscribe to Recording - I saw the mention of the article there.)

If I was going to have to cover an church service, especially one with
congregational singing, with just one mic, it would be a mic inside the
piano. Which mic and where would depend on the piano. I use a Shure PZM (SM
93 I think) double-sided taped to the underside of the lid, about the
middle. I use quite a bit of Scotch's heavy-duty permanant double-sided
tape. When the piano was recently rebuilt, the mic left with it, and came
back with it.

Reason for the PZM is that I can't get the piano to cut through loud
congregational singing without feedback, using just my other mic which is
outside the piano, pointed at the underside of the far end of the sounding
board. In the end, SR is more about being heard than hi fi sound quality.

2) The mic lines will need to run about 100' through a cold-air
return under the sanctuary. Am I correct that this means I should be
using plenum rated cable, rather than my old standby Belden 9451? Is
there a similarly "standard" plenum rated cable that everyone uses
for fixed installs?

I've been told that plenum cable is really only rated for use in
applications like a dropped ceiling, where the whole ceilng is in essence a
cold air return. Putting it inside actual ducts is reportedly a no-no. I'd
like to see some discussion of this.

"Arny Krueger" wrote in
:

[...]

The only difference between plenum rated cable and it non-plenum rated
counterpart is the insulation.

Look up CAT5 cable specs for plenum and non-plenum use.

The local rules for the use of plenum cable may vary from the Natl. Code.
Check with your local building department.

DeserTBoB

On Sat, 4 Dec 2004 07:21:16 -0500, "Arny Krueger"
wrote:

Putting it inside actual ducts is reportedly a no-no. I'd
like to see some discussion of this. snip

It's also illegal in many localities. Check local codes. I've been
thumbing through the NEC for references, but haven't found it just
yet.

dB

DeserTBoB

On 04 Dec 2004 15:46:01 GMT, ospam (Leoaw3) wrote:

According to the NEC and it is the *LAW*, snip

The NEC is a bare bones baseline. Most local codes supercede NEC.
NEC still permits aluminum residential wiring (with "approved
devices"), but is now illegal in most areas due to many fires and
deaths attributed to it.

...in plenums you *must* use plenum
cables that are listed as "Type CMP"(Communications Plenum Cable). Article
800-53 of the NEC states: " Cables installed in ducts, plenums, and other
spaces used for environmental air shall be Type CMP". Permitted substitution
for "Type CMP" cables is "Type MPP" cables (Multipurpose Plenum Cable). snip

Thanks for finding the cite in the NEC, saving me some reading while
typing! True, NEC permits use of HVAC ducting as well as in wire
ducts and runways, but many local codes prohibit it. I know it's
illegal in Los Angeles city AND county, but then again, so is BX,
which has been since the 1950s.

The NEC requires that "Type CMP plenum cable shall be listed as being suitable
for use in ducts, plenums and other spaces used for environmental air and shall
also be listed as having adequate fire-resistant and low smoke-producing
characteristics". snip

No IBEW electrician would ever use CMP, even for signal cable, in an
HVAC duct; their training prohibits it on safety grounds. Although
CMP is "low smoke-producing," it also releases noxious PVC gas when it
melts, and that's a major health hazard. I was directly involved with
in a cable fire in a telephone central office many years ago, and the
work force on the involved floors of the complex had to undergo blood
gas tests immediately afterward, and some did get very ill. If the
cable had been in a return air space, the PVC gas could've been
propagated much further than it was. Also, the smoke damage from
burning PVC isn't just soot. It's conductive and very adhesive, and
was responsible for hundreds of thousands of dollars in equipment
repair and replacement in this single incident.

My vote? NO cables in HVAC plenums, period. It may seem like a real
longshot, but remember...if someone screws up and gets 220 on your mic
pair, it melts and causes damage, YOU'RE on the hook for it just as
much as the idiot who caused the failure if you're installation
violates code. If local code is permissive, then you're not liable,
but it wouldn't do much for your reputation.

dB

Cosworth

[...]

Walter, this question will probably get more attention over on
alt.audio.pro.live-sound.

Scott Dorsey

"Walter Harley" wrote in message
Two questions that folks on this group might have good answers for. The
context is that I'm upgrading the sound system for an old church. Budget
is minimal; so, thankfully, are expectations.

1) I need a mic on the piano. It needs to be able to work with lid open
or shut. It needs to be permanently attached - no gaff tape! Less than
$200 would be nice. Any recommendations? (Sorry, I don't subscribe to
Recording - I saw the mention of the article there.)

Nothing is ever going to sound good with the lid shut.

The PZM seems to be the most common choice for this sort of thing... I
don't much like the way it makes the piano sound (we are talking about
a grand, right?), but it is very low profile.

In a pinch, mounting a couple low-profile omni gooseneck mikes in the piano
might do a little better. Not much, though.

This is the exact application that the Helpenstil piano pickup was designed
for. It sounds even worse, though.

2) The mic lines will need to run about 100' through a cold-air return
under the sanctuary. Am I correct that this means I should be using
plenum rated cable, rather than my old standby Belden 9451? Is there a
similarly "standard" plenum rated cable that everyone uses for fixed
installs?

You cannot do this. You _can_ run them on the outside of the cold air
return, though, which will be almost as easy.

You must use plenum-rated cable in any space used as an air return, but
you cannot use it in ducts. There is a cable you _can_ use in ducts
(and Steve Lampen is the guy to ask about it), but it will cost you a
bloody fortune. As it is, the plenum-rated stuff is much more expensive
than the cheap PVC materials. Surely a member of the congregation is
an electrician and can be drafted into pulling some cables.

Bruce

"Arny Krueger" wrote in
:

[...]

I've done exactly the same with superb results. However, I would just leave
the lid down at this point. We used an SM-91, which is no longer in
production.

-Bruce
Walter Harley

"Scott Dorsey" wrote in message
Nothing is ever going to sound good with the lid shut.

The PZM seems to be the most common choice for this sort of thing... I
don't much like the way it makes the piano sound (we are talking about
a grand, right?), but it is very low profile.

Thanks. Yes, it's a grand; need the mic mostly for the sake of monitors, so
I'm not real concerned about the audio quality, though of course I don't
want it to suck utterly. Currently considering a Shure Beta 91.

This is the exact application that the Helpenstil piano pickup was
designed
for. It sounds even worse, though.

I remember using one of those on a couple of tours in the mid 80's. Don't
remember it ever sounding good.

You cannot do this. You _can_ run them on the outside of the cold air
return, though, which will be almost as easy.

No, it won't... the church is made entirely from concrete. The duct in
question is basically a concrete-lined trench in the foundations, under the
floor of the sanctuary. Running along the "outside" would involve
excavation :-) The only other alternative is to run them along the ceiling
or walls, which does not sound like a picnic as the ceiling is about 50' up
and everything is made of concrete.

There's already a bunch of cable running in that duct, but of course codes
have changed since it was put in (and probably the last installation job was
done by someone who didn't know about the code anyway).

David Morgan \(MAMS\)

"Scott Dorsey" wrote in message...

Nothing is ever going to sound good with the lid shut.

Don't you think that's a little harsh? ;-)

Asked with waaay too much close miked, closed lid experience.

What may be even more harsh... would be asking why a grand piano
that's loud enough not to be in the main PA of a large sanctuary, needs
a mic for insertion into just the monitors. Kinda' ruins the whole concept
of the question for me.

--
David Morgan (MAMS)
http://www.m-a-m-s DOT com

Leoaw3

why a grand piano
that's loud enough not to be in the main PA of a large sanctuary, needs
a mic for insertion into just the monitors.

Reminds me of a story of a famous father and daughter, both singers. I talked
to a guy who ran sound for their show. The daughter's technical rider
specified 4 15" monitors with 3,000 watts of amp power. She kept asking to be
turned up in her monitors... and still didn't track well with the band. The
dad got up, and the sound guy asked how he wanted his monitors. He said "turn
them off, I learned a long time ago how to hear the band. He was right with
the band and had solid pitch.

Seems like a lot of folks these days don't want to take the time to REALLY
learn their craft....

-lee-
Chris Hornbeck

On Sat, 4 Dec 2004 00:12:43 -0800, "Walter Harley"
wrote:

Two questions that folks on this group might have good answers for. The
context is that I'm upgrading the sound system for an old church. Budget is
minimal; so, thankfully, are expectations.

snipped for bandwidth
Questions:

Is there currently *any* sound system?

Who needs to hear the piano mic? The pianist, the band, the
congregation?

What could be done entirely on stage? Monitors can often be
set and forget, sort of. Could everybody live with a monitor
system located on stage? And no live adjustment possible?

If the problem is with the rest of the band hearing the piano
(yeah, I know, never really happens) is there an acoustical
solution practical? Moving people around, reflective wall, etc.

Good fortune. Sounds like you've got your work cut out for ya.
But that's what it's all about.

Chris Hornbeck
"Shi mian mai fu"
Walter Harley

"Leoaw3" wrote in message
Yes, it's a grand; need the mic mostly for the sake of monitors, so
I'm not real concerned about the audio quality, though of course I don't
want it to suck utterly.

I'm a bit confused by this -- its loud enough for the sanctuary, but not
loud
enough for the stage musicians? ::sigh:::

It's a positioning issue. Because of the layout of the stage, the musicians
are not all close together, and the stage/apse area is actually fairly dead;
most of the sound projects out toward the nave, not up into the apse. The
piano is down a few steps from most of the other musicians, actually closer
to the congregation than to the band. So, for instance, the drummer
(farthest to the back, and soon to be behind a plexi wall) doesn't have a
chance of hearing the piano.

But don't get me wrong, I'm not saying the piano will just be in the
monitors. It's just that for the congregation, most of the piano sound will
be acoustic; I'm not worried about the mic sound as much as I would be in,
say, a jazz club. I'm more concerned with helping them to spend as little
money as possible on their sound system, so they can spend it on the more
worthwhile causes they support, while still letting the band be able to make
music.

And in response to the 3kW monitor story :-) ... for a five-piece band,
they'll be using four 8" self-powered monitors. Not exactly overkill, I
think. But as for "learning their craft"; well, it's *not* their craft!
These are not professional musicians, they're just members of the
congregation trying to help out with the service. This is not a big modern
church with seating for 3000 and a professional band.

-walter

Walter Harley

"Chris Hornbeck" wrote in message
Questions:

See answers in my response to Leoaw3's post.

What could be done entirely on stage? Monitors can often be
set and forget, sort of. Could everybody live with a monitor
system located on stage? And no live adjustment possible?

Definitely not out of the question. Although, I'd like to keep as little
equipment as possible up on the stage - it tends to grow legs. The mix
position is more secure.

Good fortune. Sounds like you've got your work cut out for ya.
But that's what it's all about.

Yep.

It'll be a challenge, but they're fine folks doing some good work in the
world, I think; I don't mind going out of my way to try to ease their way.
And actually I kind of enjoy the "do it on a shoestring, what can we reuse"
projects, as long as the customer has reasonable expectations about the end
result; I feel like there are plenty of contractors out there who can do
great jobs with putting in expensive new turnkey systems, but maybe fewer
who can figure out how to get a couple more miles out of an existing system
and some duct tape and baling wire :-)

-walter

Chris Hornbeck

On Sun, 5 Dec 2004 19:29:20 -0800, "Walter Harley"
wrote:

Although, I'd like to keep as little
equipment as possible up on the stage - it tends to grow legs. The mix
position is more secure.

This only sounds silly to folks who haven't experienced it.
Churches are targets for thieves even worse than homes are,
because they trust perhaps overmuch. And don't report.
Could you armor a back"stage" location to suit?

My SR gig in a thrust-stage house has some similar balance
issues. We seat 635 but nobody is very far from the performers.
On stage, the grand piano needs to be mic'ed and monitored
if there is a backline (even just drums and electric bass).

Real singers perform here totally acoustic, but may use SR
for vocal intro's and specials. Church-ish in size.

I never mic drums; don't even own the mic's; or (electric) bass.
They're too frickin' loud already. No negative amplifiers
exist, so I'm stuck, maybe about where you are.

Outbreaks of sanity in the backline seem unlikely. Suicide
is immoral. What to do?

FWIW, I find myself much more interested in issues of monitoring
than in issues of FOH. Like Bob O. says "in front of the microphone".

Good fortune,

Chris Hornbeck
"Shi mian mai fu"
Leoaw3

It's a positioning issue. Because of the layout of the stage, the musicians
are not all close together, and the stage/apse area is actually fairly dead;
most of the sound projects out toward the nave, not up into the apse. The
piano is down a few steps from most of the other musicians, actually closer
to the congregation than to the band. So, for instance, the drummer
(farthest to the back, and soon to be behind a plexi wall) doesn't have a
chance of hearing the piano.

OK, fair enough. BTW, I apologize for the tone of my post -- I was too quick
on the posting switch.

But don't get me wrong, I'm not saying the piano will just be in the
monitors. It's just that for the congregation, most of the piano sound will
be acoustic; I'm not worried about the mic sound as much as I would be in,
say, a jazz club. I'm more concerned with helping them to spend as little
money as possible on their sound system, so they can spend it on the more
worthwhile causes they support, while still letting the band be able to make
music.

Right. It sounds like, in an ideal world, this building would be better served
by a quality piano keyboard, like a kurzweil or a Yamaha p250. Solid sound, no
feedback issues, complete control for the sound engineer. OTOH, I well know
the way that would be received by a lot of congregations -- oh well. :)

And in response to the 3kW monitor story :-) ... for a five-piece band,
they'll be using four 8" self-powered monitors. Not exactly overkill, I
think. But as for "learning their craft"; well, it's *not* their craft!
These are not professional musicians, they're just members of the
congregation trying to help out with the service. This is not a big modern
church with seating for 3000 and a professional band.

I told the monitor story more in terms of the general case of folks wanting a
louder and louder monitor mix. In my congregation its an ongoing issue where
the artists want the monitors so loud that they end up being a significant
component of the house mix. Again, I'm sorry -- I assumed it was a similar
situation for you.

But I would encourage the worship team to consider their role carefully. I
believe that worship teams should work hard for excellence in every area of
their ministry. Whether it is a small congregation, or a big church -- they
are participating in a holy activity -- and we should always strive to do our
absolute best, and to improve in every area of it. This includes voice
lessons, guitar lessons, etc. -- such that our ability to lead worship
improves, and we are able to "get out of the way" and not distract folks with
anything related to our musicianship, or sound reinforcement issues.

-lee-

Arny Krueger

"Leoaw3" wrote in message

Yes, it's a grand; need the mic mostly for the sake of monitors, so
I'm not real concerned about the audio quality, though of course I
don't want it to suck utterly.

I'm a bit confused by this -- its loud enough for the sanctuary, but
not loud enough for the stage musicians? ::sigh:::

Not all that hard to believe if you consider the other things that are
playing at the same time. In a traditional church, it would be a large pipe
organ, and in a modern church it would be well, modern music most likely
amplified.

Add congregational singing to that. Standing in front of 100's of people
singing perhaps at the tops of their lungs is not trivial.

Laurence Payne

On Sun, 5 Dec 2004 19:22:37 -0800, "Walter Harley"
wrote:

But as for "learning their craft"; well, it's *not* their craft!
These are not professional musicians, they're just members of the
congregation trying to help out with the service. This is not a big modern
church with seating for 3000 and a professional band.

None the less, they owe it to the listeners, to themselves (and to
their God) to take a better attitude than "we're crap amateurs, so
live with it". The answer to an over-enthusiastic drummer is NOT a
plexiglass screen. It's to play at an appropriate level. This is a
practical musician speaking, not a sound engineer :-)

Scott Dorsey

Walter Harley wrote:
"Scott Dorsey" wrote in message
Nothing is ever going to sound good with the lid shut.

The PZM seems to be the most common choice for this sort of thing... I
don't much like the way it makes the piano sound (we are talking about
a grand, right?), but it is very low profile.

Thanks. Yes, it's a grand; need the mic mostly for the sake of monitors, so
I'm not real concerned about the audio quality, though of course I don't
want it to suck utterly. Currently considering a Shure Beta 91.

In that case, go with the C-Ducer. The sound absolutely sucks, but it will
give you amazing gain before feedback, which is what you really want in the
monitor application anyway.

You cannot do this. You _can_ run them on the outside of the cold air
return, though, which will be almost as easy.

No, it won't... the church is made entirely from concrete. The duct in
question is basically a concrete-lined trench in the foundations, under the
floor of the sanctuary. Running along the "outside" would involve
excavation :-) The only other alternative is to run them along the ceiling
or walls, which does not sound like a picnic as the ceiling is about 50' up
and everything is made of concrete.

Running outside the building isn't as bad as it might seem, in part because
this is Class II wiring and does not need to be in conduit if it's outside.

There's already a bunch of cable running in that duct, but of course codes
have changed since it was put in (and probably the last installation job was
done by someone who didn't know about the code anyway).

Personally, this would scare me. Not that I have not seen similarly bad
things, but it would still scare me.

Walter Harley

"Scott Dorsey" wrote in message
Personally, this would scare me. Not that I have not seen similarly bad
things, but it would still scare me.

It scares me too.

Walter Harley

"Laurence Payne" wrote in message
None the less, they owe it to the listeners, to themselves (and to
their God) to take a better attitude than "we're crap amateurs, so
live with it". The answer to an over-enthusiastic drummer is NOT a
plexiglass screen. It's to play at an appropriate level. This is a
practical musician speaking, not a sound engineer :-)

I don't know why you think they have that attitude... hope that wasn't what
I said. They're earnest amateurs, trying as hard as they're able. But as
you well know, skill doesn't come in a day, and you can't just "wait until
you're good before you play."

I think it's to their credit that they're willing to stand up there and do
the best they can despite knowing full well that they're not great
musicians. My goal is to try to help them get a bit better - even the best
musicians have a hard time when they can't hear each other, and it's
demoralizing to feel like you're playing badly.

That said - personally I agree strongly about the drum volume issue. But
you work with what/who you've got... and it doesn't take much drums, in a
concrete church, to be too loud! I've been thinking I may want to try just
taping the heads and cymbals, before going the plexi wall route. The plexi
wall was something they were planning to do before I came on board. (The
drummer is already playing with bundled sticks and brushes.)

-w

Walter Harley

"Scott Dorsey" wrote in message
In that case, go with the C-Ducer. The sound absolutely sucks, but it
will
give you amazing gain before feedback, which is what you really want in
the
monitor application anyway.

I've heard of those, never used one. Do you know who in the USA carries
them? Their web site just lists an agent that I've never heard of in North
Carolina.

U-CDK_CHARLES\\Charles

On Mon, 6 Dec 2004 10:37:32 -0800, Walter Harley
wrote:
"Laurence Payne" wrote in message
None the less, they owe it to the listeners, to themselves (and to
their God) to take a better attitude than "we're crap amateurs, so
live with it". The answer to an over-enthusiastic drummer is NOT a
plexiglass screen. It's to play at an appropriate level. This is a
practical musician speaking, not a sound engineer :-)

I don't know why you think they have that attitude... hope that wasn't what
I said. They're earnest amateurs, trying as hard as they're able. But as
you well know, skill doesn't come in a day, and you can't just "wait until
you're good before you play."

The best solution to the "Drum Problem" is going electronic.

My grief and time are worth much more than the cost of an E-kit.

David Morgan \(MAMS\)

"Leoaw3" wrote in message ...
why a grand piano
that's loud enough not to be in the main PA of a large sanctuary, needs
a mic for insertion into just the monitors.

Reminds me of a story of a famous father and daughter, both singers. I talked
to a guy who ran sound for their show. The daughter's technical rider
specified 4 15" monitors with 3,000 watts of amp power. She kept asking to be
turned up in her monitors... and still didn't track well with the band. The
dad got up, and the sound guy asked how he wanted his monitors. He said "turn
them off, I learned a long time ago how to hear the band. He was right with
the band and had solid pitch.

Seems like a lot of folks these days don't want to take the time to REALLY
learn their craft....

-lee-

And fewer and fewer realize that 'listening' is a part of the art... not just
being innundated by SPL from a monitor wedge.

hank alrich

Walter Harley wrote:

I think it's to their credit that they're willing to stand up there and do
the best they can despite knowing full well that they're not great
musicians. My goal is to try to help them get a bit better - even the best
musicians have a hard time when they can't hear each other, and it's
demoralizing to feel like you're playing badly.

We all may keep in mind that Yo Yo Ma takes lessons.

--
ha
james of tucson

On 2004-12-07, hank alrich wrote:

We all may keep in mind that Yo Yo Ma takes lessons.

And he wears very funny Hawaiian shirts, and he is quite good natured
about it if you spill water on him. And I am NOT going to disclose
how I know this.

Walter Harley

"hank alrich" wrote in message
.. .
We all may keep in mind that Yo Yo Ma takes lessons.

Quite so. Every professional musician should, and many do. I'd guess more
of the very top tier of musicians take lessons than the lesser-known and
lesser-paid, and there's probably some degree of causality in that. I bet
Yo Yo Ma also practices a lot more than the guys in this church band do.

On the other hand, it's his day job. He can afford to take lessons. Heck,
he can't afford *not* to. Not quite the same for most of us poor schmucks
whose life is sadly not oriented around making music.

I don't actually know whether any of the people in this band are taking
lessons. They might be. (I don't guess the drummer is, though.)

Arny Krueger

"Walter Harley" wrote in message

"Laurence Payne" wrote in
message ...
None the less, they owe it to the listeners, to themselves (and to
their God) to take a better attitude than "we're crap amateurs, so
live with it". The answer to an over-enthusiastic drummer is NOT a
Plexiglas screen. It's to play at an appropriate level. This is a
practical musician speaking, not a sound engineer :-)

I don't know why you think they have that attitude... hope that
wasn't what I said. They're earnest amateurs, trying as hard as
they're able. But as you well know, skill doesn't come in a day, and
you can't just "wait until you're good before you play."

It stings when they blame their choice of tired anthems that put half the
congregation to sleep, off-tune signing and sloppy timing on the sound guy.

I think it's to their credit that they're willing to stand up there
and do the best they can despite knowing full well that they're not
great musicians. My goal is to try to help them get a bit better -
even the best musicians have a hard time when they can't hear each
other, and it's demoralizing to feel like you're playing badly.

In fact, some musicians don't want to hear themselves - they are apparently
afraid of hearing what they sound like. If they hear what they sound like it
will demoralize them, or some such.

That said - personally I agree strongly about the drum volume issue.

That's one reason why God made electronic drums.

But you work with what/who you've got... and it doesn't take much
drums, in a concrete church, to be too loud!

Or pipe organ or...

I've been thinking I
may want to try just taping the heads and cymbals, before going the
Plexiglas wall route.

There are such things as sticks and brushes that have built-in muting. A
rolled-up blanket can soften a kick.

The Plexiglas wall was something they were planning to
do before I came on board. (The drummer is already playing with
bundled sticks and brushes.)

Plexiglas ain't cheap, but neither are good electronic drums. Methinks that
the electronic drums are the Final Solution.

Scott Dorsey

Walter Harley wrote:
"Scott Dorsey" wrote in message
In that case, go with the C-Ducer. The sound absolutely sucks, but it
will
give you amazing gain before feedback, which is what you really want in
the
monitor application anyway.

I've heard of those, never used one. Do you know who in the USA carries
them? Their web site just lists an agent that I've never heard of in North
Carolina.

I think that Markertek carries them. Honestly, none of the pickups will
sound anything like a piano, but they will all give you all of the
isolation that you need. For monitors that's just fine.

Laurence Payne

On Tue, 7 Dec 2004 09:21:43 -0500, "Arny Krueger"
wrote:

The Plexiglas wall was something they were planning to
do before I came on board. (The drummer is already playing with
bundled sticks and brushes.)

Plexiglas ain't cheap, but neither are good electronic drums. Methinks that
the electronic drums are the Final Solution.

Electronic drums remove any possibility of playing with musical
subtlety. It's like playing a bad electric keyboard when you wanted a
piano.

Next time you're around an electronic kit ask for a snare drum roll.
Ask for jazz brushes. Ask for soft beaters on tom-tom quasi timpani.

I don't know who's encouraging this "praise music" that seems endemic
in the colonies, and is creeping in here in the UK. The kids would
turn up their noses at it anywhere outside church. I'm sure the
oldsters barely tolerate it. Hands up anyone who actually LIKES it,
or gets off religiously on it?

Michael R. Kesti

Laurence Payne wrote:

Electronic drums remove any possibility of playing with musical
subtlety. It's like playing a bad electric keyboard when you wanted a
piano.

Next time you're around an electronic kit ask for a snare drum roll.
Ask for jazz brushes. Ask for soft beaters on tom-tom quasi timpani.

I used to feel the same way, but I know a couple of guys who use e-kits
and deliver great performances. To me, the e-drums have become different
instruments rather than inferior instruments.

I don't know who's encouraging this "praise music" that seems endemic
in the colonies, and is creeping in here in the UK. The kids would
turn up their noses at it anywhere outside church. I'm sure the
oldsters barely tolerate it. Hands up anyone who actually LIKES it,
or gets off religiously on it?

You probably won't get too many hands here but there is no doubt that
praise is a huge music market.

| two, one and one make one."
| - The Who, Bargain
Arny Krueger

"Laurence Payne" wrote in
message

I don't know who's encouraging this "praise music" that seems endemic
in the colonies, and is creeping in here in the UK. The kids would
turn up their noses at it anywhere outside church.

Not a problem for many of the kids I know, but of course they are church
kids.

I think if you check sales of recordings, and we presume said recordings are
played outside church...

I'm sure the oldsters barely tolerate it. Hands up anyone who actually
LIKES it,
or gets off religiously on it?

I'm 58 and I like some of it. Old enough?

hank alrich

Michael R. Kesti wrote:

To me, the e-drums have become different
instruments rather than inferior instruments.

Miles Davis is alleged to have replied to an interviewer who asked him,
"When does a synthesizer become a real instrument?" with, "As soon as a
composer writes a part for it".

--
ha
Walter Harley

"Scott Dorsey" wrote in message
I think that Markertek carries [the C-Ducer pickups]. Honestly, none of
the pickups will
sound anything like a piano, but they will all give you all of the
isolation that you need. For monitors that's just fine.
--scott

Can't find 'em listed anywhere on Markertek's web site. I think I'm just
going to try a Shure Beta91 and see how it does.

Thanks,
-walter