Studio-D

Default Solution for small room drums

There have been plenty of posts about recording drums and room sizes.
My question is this:
Is it possible at all to get closer to a nice room sound while still
recording in a small room? All the close mcs sound good when solo'd,
but I'd like to use them more for supporting the room and OH mics. The
close mics sound too artificial when used without anything else. Too
blunt

Here are the specifics

OH mics - u89's, Great River MP-2NV \
room mic - u87, Avalon M5 / Into a digi 002

room size - w/7ft ceiling

-----------------
| | drums |
| here |
| |
| 18ft |
| |
| 20ft |
-----------------

I have the floor carpeted and some studio absorbers attached to a
portable wall which I place in front of the drumset. Recordings are
done with guitar and vocal scratch tracks which are DI so we can get a
clean drum track without bleedover.

I have a Lexicon PCM80 which I can add to the OH and room, but can't
get it to sound really natural and a LA2A fo mono compression (would a
stereo unit make much difference?). I'm I trying too hard for nothing?
There has to be a way a create the sound I'm looking for by using what
I have. I'm just trying to get that really GREAT sound and am
convinced its the room thats killing me. If anyone has any suggestions
I'm willing to try something new! Thanks,