Mike Rivers

Default Finding A Song On Line

Awright, whatcha gotta do to get one of them legal music downloads?
I'm searching for a song that's on a relatively unavailable CD. I'd be
happy to download an MP3 version for $.99 if I could only find it, so
I went looking.

As far as I can figure out, in order to search the iTunes data base,
you first have to download a program. Same for the Real
whatevertheycallit. Apparently the same for Napster. MP3.com lets me
search, but the song I'm looking for isn't there.

I did a Google search and found it on what I guess is a P2P network.
It says it's a Magnet file. When I went looking to see what the heck
that was, apparently I have to download some software that looks like
a P2P program (there are several that use that format). And I guess
that would be a bootleg download anyway. I've heard enough warning
about those programs so that I don't want to indiscriminantly install
one on my computer. And besides, if I'm going to get a bootleg copy of
a song, I'd just as soon get it from someone I know.

So if anyone has any advice for me, please shoot. And if someone has a
copy of Sherman Linton's song "Santa Got a DWI" and would like to
e-mail it to me at the Yahoo address in my tag line (if you reply to
this address, the message will go in the bit bucket because it's too
large) I'd be thankful.

And, yeah, I need it yesterday, so I can't wait and order the CD from
Amazon. I already tried the local Barnes & Trouble and Tower stores
and they don't have it in stock. It's on the Rhino compilation Bummed
Out Christmas.

--
I'm really Mike Rivers )
David Morgan \(MAMS\)

http://www.rhino.com/store/ProductDe...o?Number=70912

Maybe a call straight to Rhino could get you a copy overnighted (?).

David Morgan \(MAMS\)

http://www.rhino.com/store/ProductDe...o?Number=70912

Maybe a call straight to Rhino could get you a copy overnighted (?).

Ricky W. Hunt

"Mike Rivers" wrote in message

Awright, whatcha gotta do to get one of them legal music downloads?
I'm searching for a song that's on a relatively unavailable CD. I'd be
happy to download an MP3 version for $.99 if I could only find it, so
I went looking.

As far as I can figure out, in order to search the iTunes data base,
you first have to download a program. Same for the Real
whatevertheycallit. Apparently the same for Napster. MP3.com lets me
search, but the song I'm looking for isn't there.

Yeah. That's the main suckage. They all want you install their program (and
usually give them a credit card number) before they'll even let you look to
see if they have what you want. The exception is Wal-Mart (and if they don't
have it chances are none of the other online retailers do either). You can
at least search first. My problem is most of the songs I want to "cherry
pick" (1-hit-wonders or obscure stuff) is not available at most of these
places.

L David Matheny

[...]

Did you try Froogle? http://froogle.google.com/froogle_advanced_search
Search for all the words: Bummed Santa DWI
Maybe something within driving distance will show up.
And I know this still doesn't answer your question.

An idea would be to create a database website with all the
titles/artists listed and where they are available for
download,including the "download" sites, pay or otherwize, so that you
can know in advance, where they are, before and if they are encumbered
to download software first/browse later, for example
artistX/SongX available at "99cent_songs_for_rent_r_us","peermonger",
"www.artistx.com".

People who use these sites could contribute to the database, and also
comment on the quality and restrictions placed on the tunes. A consumer
review, supplied by people who have used the sites.

The sites that want you to commit to first downloading thier software,
before browsing thier
"store", aren't interested in selling you what you want, just selling
you a service, then hoping that even if they don't have what you are
looking for, you will accept,and pay for similar substitutions. This
hurts both you and the artist that you are looking for.
Andrea
http://www.andrearogers.com

I hear what you're saying about worrying about using a P2P group or
even downloading one of those apps, but I seriously doubt that Rhino is
hunting down silly Christmas songs as ones to focus on during their
"witch hunt". Unless it's from an artist like Brittany, Metallica, U2
or other band, I'd imagine you'd have no problems grabbing it.
For what it's worth, if it's on itunes, I'd be glad to grab it for you
and send it over.

later,

Mike Rivers

Thanks to an unnamed co-conspirator who sent me a copy of the song.

What I was hoping to learn was more about those music downloading
services that make what I really wanted (a copy of one song, quickly,
and with some concern to royalty payment) available. I was a bit
baffled by what I found - how these things apparently work and don't
work, and was looking for some education as to what's a safe'n'sane
way to download music without opening my computer up to even more
exposure.

I guess what I want is a "pro" version of a music download service,
and I guess there isn't one yet.

--
I'm really Mike Rivers )

Nathan West

Mike Rivers wrote:

I guess what I want is a "pro" version of a music download service,
and I guess there isn't one yet.

iTunes comes the closest. I have it installed, but they didn't have the
tune. There are music library services available, but they have rather
large monthly subscription rates. Though a lot of AV Companies use them
all the time.

--
Nathan

"Imagine if there were no Hypothetical Situations"

Blues_Jam

I have the iTunes software installed tough I rarely use it. It's quite
benign and safe. There's just two things to remember when installing: They
want to become your default music player for certain file types but that is
easily changed in options (or denied during install) if I recall correctly.
The other thing is that the install sets up a service to run on start-up of
your computer. This service is to allow you to burn CDs from within the
iTunes software but may interfere with other burn software you might use. It
can be disabled within START/RUN/msconfig/startup but I think it may get
re-enabled automatically when the iTunes software is run.

hmmm, kind of a pain, come to think of it.....

Blues

Thanks to an unnamed co-conspirator who sent me a copy of the song.

What I was hoping to learn was more about those music downloading
services that make what I really wanted (a copy of one song, quickly,
and with some concern to royalty payment) available. I was a bit
baffled by what I found - how these things apparently work and don't
work, and was looking for some education as to what's a safe'n'sane
way to download music without opening my computer up to even more
exposure.

I guess what I want is a "pro" version of a music download service,
and I guess there isn't one yet.

--
I'm really Mike Rivers )

Lorin David Schultz

wrote in message
oups.com...

For what it's worth, if it's on itunes, I'd be glad to grab it for you
and send it over.

I don't think that wouldn't do him any good. My understanding is that
tracks from the iTunes store will only play in iTunes (or an iPod). If
he has to install iTunes anyway to play it, he might as well go get the
song himself.

- Lorin David Schultz
in the control room
making even bad news sound good

(Remove spamblock to reply)

Lorin David Schultz

"Blues_Jam" wrote in message

The other thing is that the install sets up a service to run on

start-up of
your computer. This service is to allow you to burn CDs from within

the
iTunes software but may interfere with other burn software you might

use. It
can be disabled within START/RUN/msconfig/startup but I think it may

get
re-enabled automatically when the iTunes software is run.

Yes and no. iTunes for Windows does install a "starter" app that keeps
certain parts of the application running in the background, but once
disabled it does NOT automatically reactivate. I unchecked it with
msconfig and I'm still able to burn CDs with iTunes.

Under XP, it also installs a service entry for an iPod, but on my
machine its resource use shows up as zero, so I'd consider it completely
benign. It's really easy to disable if you felt the need though, just
one checkbox under Services.

- Lorin David Schultz
in the control room
making even bad news sound good

(Remove spamblock to reply)

S O'Neill

Mike Rivers wrote:

Awright, whatcha gotta do to get one of them legal music downloads?
I'm searching for a song that's on a relatively unavailable CD. I'd be
happy to download an MP3 version for $.99 if I could only find it, so
I went looking.

As far as I can figure out, in order to search the iTunes data base,
you first have to download a program.

For me, iTunes regularly saves a tough moment when somebody wants to
know how a particular songs goes or "how they did something" in it.
Sometimes I buy it and sometimes the 30-second clip is enough. This is
in addition to streaming WKSU into my living room from my wife's
computer and all the other good stuff it does: it's like having a
jukebox with an integrated record store selling 45's and LP's with
delivery in about 30 seconds.

While they have an amazing selection, including some very obscure stuff,
they don't have your song either.

S O'Neill

Mike Rivers wrote:

Thanks for checking. I would have, but didn't want to take the time to
download and install their software just to see if they had the song.

Sure, no problem! My point, though, is that it's a darn useful thing
and you may want to reconsider installing it.

hank alrich

S O'Neill wrote:

Mike Rivers wrote:

Thanks for checking. I would have, but didn't want to take the time to
download and install their software just to see if they had the song.

Sure, no problem! My point, though, is that it's a darn useful thing
and you may want to reconsider installing it.

None o' this newfangled software for Mike; he only uses vintage tube
software.

--
ha