Frank de Waal

Default Audiorecordings with low latency on a laptop

Hi there,

I just read some older threads on this,
but the computerbusiness changes quickly,
so I wonder what's the way it is now.

I want to update my audiorecording gear
and prefer a laptop with an external firewire
sound'card' while I'd like to be mobile.
But if it's to critical to my needs I'd
rather spend my money on a desktop instead.

The laptop I'll buy would be at least
Pentium 4, 3GHz.
What's important for the soundcard to me is
that it can be connected to firewire, that
the latency is very low (for multitrack recording
and VSTi's) and that the driver-support is good.
Ofcoarse the quality of converters is important too,
but 2 analog inputs and 4 analog outputs are enough.
I don't need digital in- or outputs and already have a
midiman midi-interface for COMport.

So my question is:
Is it a good idea to do multitrack audiorecordings
on a laptop? And is it nowadays possible to have very
low latencies on that machine? And what audio-interface
is recommended for firewire?

I can't find much good info on this on the net,
so I really hope someone here can help me on thisone.

Thanx in advance!

Frank
Steve Jorgensen

On 28 Nov 2004 20:28:47 -0800, (Frank de Waal) wrote:

[...]

I think the firewire audio interfaces will not be your problem since most of
those are very low latency. Your problem is going to be the hard drive.
Standard notebook drives are 4800 RPM, or sometimes 5200 RPM.

You can get 7200 RPM, but it's almost never standard because it draws more
power, but you'll presumably be using it mostly with an outlet with a 3GHz
Pentium anyway, so that's probably OK. Look for a notebook you can order with
at least a 5200 RPM drive, and preferrably a 7200 RPM.
Frank de Waal

Thanx for your reaction.
You're telling me the harddrive is a critical part in this case.

So, if I buy a Laptop Pentium 4, 3GHz with a harddrive of 7200RPM,
Windows XP
and use my Midiman BiPort (via COMport) and a new external audiodevice
via firewire... should that be ok to get very low latencies (I prefer
below 5ms) compared to a desktop pc?

Frank

Steve Jorgensen wrote in message . ..
[...]

Steve Jorgensen

Yup - I routinely operate my MOTU 896 at 4 ms latency on a Mac dual G5.

On 29 Nov 2004 07:19:06 -0800, (Frank de Waal) wrote:

Thanx for your reaction.
You're telling me the harddrive is a critical part in this case.

So, if I buy a Laptop Pentium 4, 3GHz with a harddrive of 7200RPM,
Windows XP
and use my Midiman BiPort (via COMport) and a new external audiodevice
via firewire... should that be ok to get very low latencies (I prefer
below 5ms) compared to a desktop pc?

Frank

USB audio cards latency TiGr Pro Audio 0 May 10th 04 07:55 AM
Live Recording: Laptop or Alesis HD24? Mike Tulley Pro Audio 0 April 12th 04 12:28 AM
Neundo2 & Presonus Firestation (latency issue) Lost Pro Audio 3 March 29th 04 04:39 AM
Latency Tascam us-122 Ack Pro Audio 0 February 19th 04 02:54 AM
laptop to stereo? Sarahsmith Pro Audio 29 December 13th 03 03:59 AM