SL

Default iTunes question: possibly OT

Sorry group,

The only references to my question gave a few Deja hits in this newsgroup.
Please bear with me.

After many unfair years of downloading songs via p2p, I did it the honest
way...honest. I tried iTunes.

Im experimenting with my first and only purchase to find out if it suits my
needs. It appears that I downloaded an AAC file of appx 4.5 megs in size.
As I can only use their prog to play with (so far as im aware), I can not
tell the finer details beyond Mpeg-4. I have yet to use Gspot to analyze
it. I use that prog for my many divx/xvids etc... nice little program.

Anyways, are these things possible:

1-Download the file in an uncompressed (appx 45 meg) original size

2-recode to mp3 or other?

I am early into my investigation as you may see. But a quick yes...no might
help in my efforts.

thanks all,

SL

david

In article , SL
wrote:

I tried iTunes.

Im experimenting with my first and only purchase to find out if it suits my
needs. It appears that I downloaded an AAC file of appx 4.5 megs in size.
As I can only use their prog to play with (so far as im aware), I can not
tell the finer details beyond Mpeg-4. I have yet to use Gspot to analyze
it. I use that prog for my many divx/xvids etc... nice little program.

Anyways, are these things possible:

1-Download the file in an uncompressed (appx 45 meg) original size

2-recode to mp3 or other?

I am early into my investigation as you may see. But a quick yes...no might
help in my efforts.

thanks all,

SL

With that AAC file and iTunes software you can burn a standard audio
CD. From that CD, you can then rip MP3 files, which don't have any copy
protection. But that ain't a good idea sonically imo.

You can also copy that original AAC file to a few of your other
computers before the copy protection kicks in. I forgot how many copies
you get to make, think it's 3. Or you can just leave it as is and play
it on your computer and your iPod if you got one. Or play the CD you
made.

The iTunes store only sells the compressed file, not the uncompressed
version. You buy the physical CD in a store for that.

There also is software around that will rewrite your AAC file without
the copy protection.

David Correia
Celebration Sound
Warren, Rhode Island

www.CelebrationSound.com
geek

There's a really great app called "Anapod Explorer"
(www.redchairsoftware.com) that allows you to explore the iPod the same way
you'd do with any other drive. I really like it for backing up 30 gig of
songs. Everything on my pod is paid for. It took me forever to rip all my
CD's. I'd really hate to do that again if the pod crashed.

Mike.

--

mikerekka at hotmail dot com hates spam

"david" wrote in message
In article , SL
wrote:

[...]

KelL

In article klcqd.372868$%k.21228@pd7tw2no,
"terry" wrote:

!itunes is a proprietary version of mp3 style compression, similar to wma.

I was under the impression that iTunes is the software for playing mp3's
mp4 (AAC) and CD's
\I believe you are referring to AAC/mpeg4.

!There's an unofficial pluggin for Winamp playback. Some hacks have started
!to appear to make ipod a bit more flexible, but its primarily a service
!delivery system for their istore. Pay Per View.

The only PPL is if one purchases music from the ITMS. then the codec is
locked via DRM which is propietary to Apple:Fair Play

!
!So... no it doesn't replace CDs.

--
KelL
AFTRA
terry

yup.

SL

thanks all. It proved helpful. I did the copy to cd and back again. It
worked fine enough. For a simple pc based home theater, it sounds good.

What I need to investigate is the options I saw for the file size I
originally downloaded. If I recall, I had several kb sizes to choose from.

sl
"geek" wrote in message
There's a really great app called "Anapod Explorer"
(www.redchairsoftware.com) that allows you to explore the iPod the same
way you'd do with any other drive. I really like it for backing up 30 gig
of songs. Everything on my pod is paid for. It took me forever to rip all
my CD's. I'd really hate to do that again if the pod crashed.

Mike.

--

mikerekka at hotmail dot com hates spam

"david" wrote in message
In article , SL
wrote:

[...]

Eric Desrochers

Why do you need the songs in mp3?

iTune is a very capable player, actually, it's becoming the new de facto
standard.

AAC from iTunes Music Store are 128 kbps, re-encoding in mp3 won't give
you smaller files.

--
Eric (Dero) Desrochers
http://homepage.mac.com/dero72