Mark

Default Crest XR20 Direct outs to prefader ?

Hi,
Does anyone know the procedure for changing the direct outs of the Crest
XR20 to prefader (so I can take a feed to do multichannel recording) ? I
don't want my live eq and fader adjustments to affect the recording. As far
as I can see, I have to undo a lot of nuts on the jack sockets to take the
back off... ! :-( The sockets themselves will remain in place won't they if
I need to do this ?

Cheers,

Mark.

Mark

As an alternative, would there be anything wrong with me using the channel
inserts by having a cable that links the insert send and return, and
"tapping" it for a feed to the DAW. Would the extra impedance cause
problems ? My DAW cards are Delta 1010LT's.

Cheers,

Mark.
--

"Mark" wrote in message
Hi,
Does anyone know the procedure for changing the direct outs of the Crest
XR20 to prefader (so I can take a feed to do multichannel recording) ? I
don't want my live eq and fader adjustments to affect the recording. As
far as I can see, I have to undo a lot of nuts on the jack sockets to take
the back off... ! :-( The sockets themselves will remain in place won't
they if I need to do this ?

Cheers,

Mark.

Sean Conolly

"Mark" wrote in message
.. .
As an alternative, would there be anything wrong with me using the channel
inserts by having a cable that links the insert send and return, and
"tapping" it for a feed to the DAW. Would the extra impedance cause
problems ? My DAW cards are Delta 1010LT's.

You can do this, the only difference is that the send will be unbalanced
instead of balanced. Looking at the block diagram it looks pretty easy to
drive the direct out opamp from the pre-insert signal, which is what I've
been thinking about. For some reason I thought the direct outs were wired
like that when I bought it, but I found out the truth the first time I
recorded with it.

Sean

Mark

Yes I did worry a bit about the signal being unbalanced, but then I
remembered that most of my Delta 1010 LT inputs are unbalanced anyway
(except the mic inputs that I'm using in line input mode). I'm going to
use the shortest cables I can, and make sure I hang them away from mains
cables.

Thats fine then as long as I'm not compromising the live sound.

Cheers,

Mark.
--

Sean Conolly wrote:
"Mark" wrote in message
.. .

As an alternative, would there be anything wrong with me using the channel
inserts by having a cable that links the insert send and return, and
"tapping" it for a feed to the DAW. Would the extra impedance cause
problems ? My DAW cards are Delta 1010LT's.

You can do this, the only difference is that the send will be unbalanced
instead of balanced. Looking at the block diagram it looks pretty easy to
drive the direct out opamp from the pre-insert signal, which is what I've
been thinking about. For some reason I thought the direct outs were wired
like that when I bought it, but I found out the truth the first time I
recorded with it.

Sean

Roger W. Norman

I have the information here somewhere, but if you write Crest an email
(www.crestaudio.com) a tech WILL answer you. It has to do with resoldering
some 64 points on the 16 boards. Maybe less, but daunting enough that I
didn't care to take it on. If you want direct outs pre-fader and don't use
the inserts it's much easier to simply tie ring/sleeve together for a
properly connected TRS connector and use the inserts.

For my part, I've found nothing wrong since 2001 with leaving my direct outs
post fader and doing live recording. Up to you, but a lot of work and
probably not as good of an idea as it originally sounds.

--

Roger W. Norman
SirMusic Studio

"Mark" wrote in message
Hi,
Does anyone know the procedure for changing the direct outs of the Crest
XR20 to prefader (so I can take a feed to do multichannel recording) ? I
don't want my live eq and fader adjustments to affect the recording. As

far
as I can see, I have to undo a lot of nuts on the jack sockets to take the
back off... ! :-( The sockets themselves will remain in place won't they

if
I need to do this ?

Cheers,

Mark.

Roger W. Norman

Then you have your answer. I wouldn't worry about having recording going on
pre-fader anyway. It's a no-brainer unless you want to be doing something
else during the recording. I've probably done 150 recordings with the Crest
via direct outs and not once has it being post fader become a problem. But
everyone works differently, so whatever floats your boat. If you really
want, I'll see if I can look up Steve's email that gave me all the solder
points to change. Might take a few days, though! g

--

Roger W. Norman
SirMusic Studio

"Mark" wrote in message
Yes I did worry a bit about the signal being unbalanced, but then I
remembered that most of my Delta 1010 LT inputs are unbalanced anyway
(except the mic inputs that I'm using in line input mode). I'm going to
use the shortest cables I can, and make sure I hang them away from mains
cables.

Thats fine then as long as I'm not compromising the live sound.

Cheers,

Mark.
--

Sean Conolly wrote:
"Mark" wrote in message
.. .

As an alternative, would there be anything wrong with me using the

channel
inserts by having a cable that links the insert send and return, and
"tapping" it for a feed to the DAW. Would the extra impedance cause
problems ? My DAW cards are Delta 1010LT's.

You can do this, the only difference is that the send will be unbalanced
instead of balanced. Looking at the block diagram it looks pretty easy

drive the direct out opamp from the pre-insert signal, which is what

I've
been thinking about. For some reason I thought the direct outs were

wired
like that when I bought it, but I found out the truth the first time I
recorded with it.

Sean

Mark

"Mark" wrote in message
Hi,
Does anyone know the procedure for changing the direct outs of the Crest
XR20 to prefader (so I can take a feed to do multichannel recording) ? I
don't want my live eq and fader adjustments to affect the recording. As

far
as I can see, I have to undo a lot of nuts on the jack sockets to take the
back off... ! :-( The sockets themselves will remain in place won't they

if
I need to do this ?

Cheers,

Mark.
--

(This is a diffrent Mark)

Do the insert jacks on the Crest work like a Mackie, i.e. if you
insert a 1/4 inch phone plug into the insert jacks only one click
deep, then the jacks work as an output without interrupting the
through path. If you push them all the way in i.e. 2 clicks then
you need to use a TRS plug and the jack works as both an input and an
output with the output on the tip and the input on the ring (or maybe
the other way round)and ground on the sleeve .

Mark K
Richard Kuschel

"Mark" wrote in message
[...]

Rather than using the "iffy" method of usinng a TS connector to the first
click, take a TRS and solder the T&R together and pull the signal from that.

Richard H. Kuschel
Sean Conolly

om...

"Mark" wrote in message
[...]

The XR-20 inserts are wired with the send=tip and return=ring, which means
that you can't simply push it in one click to get a send only. This keeps
you from using the jack with the plug stuck in halfway, which is actually a
good practice for recording. This also matches the wiring for an RNP, so you
can patch one of these in with a simple TRS patch cord.

Sean

Brian Allen

Sean Conolly wrote:
"Mark" wrote in message
om...

"Roger W. Norman" wrote in message

I have the information here somewhere, but if you write Crest an email
(www.crestaudio.com) a tech WILL answer you. It has to do with

resoldering

some 64 points on the 16 boards. Maybe less, but daunting enough that I
didn't care to take it on. If you want direct outs pre-fader and don't

use

the inserts it's much easier to simply tie ring/sleeve together for a
properly connected TRS connector and use the inserts.

For my part, I've found nothing wrong since 2001 with leaving my direct

outs

post fader and doing live recording. Up to you, but a lot of work and
probably not as good of an idea as it originally sounds.

--

Roger W. Norman
SirMusic Studio

"Mark" wrote in message
. net...

[...]

I don't think it matters if it is ring or tip send. With this method
the connection is not broken from tip to ring within the jack (i tried
it in a jack) as the narrow part of the 1/4" plug tip is resting on the
ring 'bump' in the jack. This 'half insert' mehtod only taps the
tip-ring signal which since unbroken is the same thing as it is
conducting. Mackies I believe are tip send and you can do this for a
direct out.

Brian