Visitor

Default 24-bit audio card models: can one hear a difference ?

Under which circumnstances can one particular 24-bit card model be
regarded as better or worse, sonically speaking (that is, other than
extra hardware features) ?
I've read that even a pcmcia card such as Digigram's can pass
unnoticed in sound comparison with bigger units, and that there isn't
sound benefit in using a 96k sampling rate over 48 or even 44.1. How
accurate are such statements, and how and when can they be proven
wrong in a practical world ?
Geoff Wood

"Visitor" wrote in message
m...
Under which circumnstances can one particular 24-bit card model be
regarded as better or worse, sonically speaking (that is, other than
extra hardware features) ?
I've read that even a pcmcia card such as Digigram's can pass
unnoticed in sound comparison with bigger units, and that there isn't
sound benefit in using a 96k sampling rate over 48 or even 44.1. How
accurate are such statements, and how and when can they be proven
wrong in a practical world ?

I'm sure the are good 16 bitters than sound better than a bad 24 bitter.
But as there hasn't been a 16 bit A-D manufactured for years, why stress
about it ? Just get a good soundcard.

geoff

Carey Carlan

"Geoff Wood" -nospam wrote in news:jMZod.7324$3U4.208034
@news02.tsnz.net:

I'm sure the are good 16 bitters than sound better than a bad 24 bitter.
But as there hasn't been a 16 bit A-D manufactured for years, why stress
about it ? Just get a good soundcard.

It's my understanding that the best bitters can be found in an English pub.
Geoff Wood

"Carey Carlan" wrote in message
. 191...
"Geoff Wood" -nospam wrote in news:jMZod.7324$3U4.208034
@news02.tsnz.net:

I'm sure the are good 16 bitters than sound better than a bad 24 bitter.
But as there hasn't been a 16 bit A-D manufactured for years, why stress
about it ? Just get a good soundcard.

It's my understanding that the best bitters can be found in an English
pub.

Naa, they run too warm and have high noise.

geoff

agent86

Geoff Wood wrote:

"Carey Carlan" wrote in message
. 191...
"Geoff Wood" -nospam wrote in news:jMZod.7324$3U4.208034
@news02.tsnz.net:

I'm sure the are good 16 bitters than sound better than a bad 24 bitter.
But as there hasn't been a 16 bit A-D manufactured for years, why stress
about it ? Just get a good soundcard.

It's my understanding that the best bitters can be found in an English
pub.

Naa, they run too warm and have high noise.

Yeah, but "warm" is the Holy Grail we're all after, right? If I can get
warm, I'll Dolby the noise.

Kurt Albershardt

Geoff Wood wrote:
"Carey Carlan" wrote in message
. 191...

It's my understanding that the best bitters can be found in an
English pub.

Naa, they run too warm and have high noise.

It's not warm! It's hand pulled, cellar temperature, cask conditioned ale.

Mmmmmmmm...

"Geoff Wood" -nospam wrote :
I'm sure the are good 16 bitters than sound better than a bad 24 bitter.
But as there hasn't been a 16 bit A-D manufactured for years, why stress
about it ? Just get a good soundcard.

OK, so which 24-bit card is a "bad" one, that would really make a
noticeable difference against "better" ones? Not including the PC game
cards.
Geoff Wood

wrote in message
m...
"Geoff Wood" -nospam wrote :
I'm sure the are good 16 bitters than sound better than a bad 24 bitter.
But as there hasn't been a 16 bit A-D manufactured for years, why stress
about it ? Just get a good soundcard.

OK, so which 24-bit card is a "bad" one, that would really make a
noticeable difference against "better" ones? Not including the PC game
cards.

I was thinking along the lines of game cards marketed as quality audio
cards. You know the ones !

geoff

Arny Krueger

wrote in message
"Geoff Wood" -nospam wrote :
I'm sure the are good 16 bitters than sound better than a bad 24
bitter. But as there hasn't been a 16 bit A-D manufactured for
years, why stress about it ? Just get a good soundcard.

OK, so which 24-bit card is a "bad" one, that would really make a
noticeable difference against "better" ones? Not including the PC game
cards.

It's getting harder and harder to find bad sound cards unless you look at
legacy products.

If you want to listen to differences among audio cards given this a spin:

http://www.pcabx.com/product/soundcard/index.htm

The Soundblaster samples are pretty easy to distinguish.

However, I should point out that they were from an obsolete version of the
card. The current product sounds appreciable better.