Al

Default Fixed-install mic cables

Hi all...

I am considering hard-wiring some mic interconnect wall panels in my home
studio. Total cable length will be no more than 40 feet from the panel in my
control room to the one in the piano room. Not a huge number of cables,
either--12 or so. Terminations on the panels will be XLR.

Obviously it's not necessary to run stage-type mic cabling for this purpose.
Can anybody recommend a good practical fixed-install cable (the normal
two-conductor plus ground) for the purpose?

I'm not looking for boutique silver-plated oxygen-free copper here, just a
good workmanlike product that would be affordable ("not cheap!") and easy to
work with.

Thanks in advance...

Alan

Animix

I've been using Mogami snakes for quite a while now and I like it a lot,
though it's really gone the way of the *boutique* cabling pricewise. I think
you can still order the raw 4, 8, 12 and 16 pair cabling at places like
Markertek for a fairly decent price. I have also used Belden and Gotham and
they were both excellent choices.

Regards,

Doug Joyce
Animix Productions
Durango, CO
http://www.graphicresultsofdurango.com/musicstudio.html
"Al" wrote in message
Hi all...

I am considering hard-wiring some mic interconnect wall panels in my home
studio. Total cable length will be no more than 40 feet from the panel in

my
control room to the one in the piano room. Not a huge number of cables,
either--12 or so. Terminations on the panels will be XLR.

Obviously it's not necessary to run stage-type mic cabling for this

purpose.
Can anybody recommend a good practical fixed-install cable (the normal
two-conductor plus ground) for the purpose?

I'm not looking for boutique silver-plated oxygen-free copper here, just a
good workmanlike product that would be affordable ("not cheap!") and easy

work with.

Thanks in advance...

Alan

Al

Thanks for the info. MarkerTek still carries the Mogami and, given the
modest length we're talking about, I can afford an 8- or 12-pair snake.

But help me understand something (I've never assembled a snake cable
before):

Does the Mogami multi-strand cable (like the 8-pair MG2932) have eight
individual twisted pairs, each with its own shield and jacket? Or do you
have one common ground conductor for the whole cable, with just the hot and
cold conductors going to individual XLR connectors?

The Mogami catalog is a tad cryptic about this. At least the way I read it.

Thanks...

Alan

"Al" wrote in message
Hi all...

I am considering hard-wiring some mic interconnect wall panels in my home
studio. Total cable length will be no more than 40 feet from the panel in

my
control room to the one in the piano room. Not a huge number of cables,
either--12 or so. Terminations on the panels will be XLR.

Obviously it's not necessary to run stage-type mic cabling for this

purpose.
Can anybody recommend a good practical fixed-install cable (the normal
two-conductor plus ground) for the purpose?

I'm not looking for boutique silver-plated oxygen-free copper here, just
good workmanlike product that would be affordable ("not cheap!") and easy

work with.

Thanks in advance...

Alan

Allen Corneau

On 11/23/04 3:48 PM, in article xeOod.452222$D%.342688@attbi_s51, "Al"
wrote:

Does the Mogami multi-strand cable (like the 8-pair MG2932) have eight
individual twisted pairs, each with its own shield and jacket?

Yes, split the main jacket open and you'll find each has it's own jacket
labeled with a number and containing a twisted pair surrounded by a shield
(not foil or braided, but multiple strands in a twist pattern).

Mogami is great cable to work with and is high quality, too!

Allen
--
Allen Corneau
Mastering Engineer

Paul Stamler

You might consider making the cable StarQuad from either Canare or Mogami.
You may not have any bad interference problems at your house now, but you
never know what might move in down the block. Given the annoyance factor of
having to go in and redo your installation, I'd go ahead with StarQuad from
the beginning. Pain in the ass to unbraid and solder, but less of a pain
than maybe tearing open the walls again in a few years. Not that much more
expensive, either.

Peace,
Paul

Nmm

"Paul Stamler" wrote in message ...
You might consider making the cable StarQuad from either Canare or Mogami.
You may not have any bad interference problems at your house now, but you
never know what might move in down the block. Given the annoyance factor of
having to go in and redo your installation, I'd go ahead with StarQuad from
the beginning. Pain in the ass to unbraid and solder, but less of a pain
than maybe tearing open the walls again in a few years. Not that much more
expensive, either.

Peace,
Paul

I don't know if Mogami or Canare have caught onto this but the GEPCO
Star-quad has a Drain wire on the "Double Braided Shield". makes it
easy to work with. All you need is some teflon tubing to connect the
shield.

If it's a permenant install, I'd run individual lines; a lot easier to
add, subtract and fix things.

Scott Dorsey

Eric K. Weber wrote:
Why do you think star quad is required with 100percent foil shield?

Because the foil shield does nothing to eliminate magnetic interference and
only shields against the E field?

....More of a marketing ploy....

No, not at all. Every little bit of noise rejection helps.
EganMedia

I'm not looking for boutique silver-plated oxygen-free copper here, just a
good workmanlike product that would be affordable ("not cheap!") and easy to
work with. BRBR

Redco audio (redco.com) has a house brand of oxygen free snake cable that is
(to me) indistinguishable from Mogami in terms of how it looks, feels, and
terminates. I won't open the "how it sounds" can of worms, but we used it in
our smallest room and I can not tell an iota of diffference between it and the
mogami in the other three rooms. It costs a whole lot less too. I also really
like how the Gepco multipair terminates. It also sounds fine to my tin ears.

Joe Egan
EMP
Colchester, VT
www.eganmedia.com