alan

Default radio shack mic mods.

Hello out there, i reacently learned there is a mod for the radio shack
boundary mics that increases freq. response and less noise. has anyone tried
this? what kind of results? i also saw a tape-op article on homemade
mics-sounds like i need to hone my soldering skills! anyone else making
home-made mics? thanks
-alan

"alan" .@. writes:

Hello out there, i reacently learned there is a mod for the radio shack
boundary mics that increases freq. response and less noise. has anyone tried
this? what kind of results? i also saw a tape-op article on homemade
mics-sounds like i need to hone my soldering skills! anyone else making
home-made mics? thanks
-alan

Visit the Yahoo group, "micbuilders" (groups.yahoo.com).

Richard

Richard Crowley

"alan" .@. wrote ...
Hello out there, i reacently learned there is a mod for the
radio shack boundary mics that increases freq. response
and less noise. has anyone tried this? what kind of results?

Conventional search methods will turn them up.
However, last time I checked, they were all for models
that are not sold by RS anymore.

i also saw a tape-op article on homemade mics-sounds like
i need to hone my soldering skills! anyone else making
home-made mics? thanks

Define "homemade". Do you have a high-vacuum chamber
to sputter your own gold flash on your homemade diaphragms?

David Morgan \(MAMS\)

"alan" .@. wrote in message ...
Hello out there, i reacently learned there is a mod for the radio shack
boundary mics that increases freq. response and less noise. has anyone tried
this? what kind of results? i also saw a tape-op article on homemade
mics-sounds like i need to hone my soldering skills! anyone else making
home-made mics? thanks
-alan

There should be multiple plans and instructions for modification
of PZMs on Harvey Gerst's site... http://www.itrstudio.com/pzm.txt

Here's a site that with diagrams that converts the mic to total
phantom power... http://www.jdbsound.com/art/art520.html

--
David Morgan (MAMS)
http://www.m-a-m-s.com

Scott Dorsey

In article , alan .@. wrote:
Hello out there, i reacently learned there is a mod for the radio shack
boundary mics that increases freq. response and less noise. has anyone tried
this? what kind of results? i also saw a tape-op article on homemade
mics-sounds like i need to hone my soldering skills! anyone else making
home-made mics? thanks

This is Phil Rastoczny's mod, which was posted here originally in 1983.
It was for the original Radio Shack PZMs, which were OEM'ed by Crown and
weren't all that bad. A few years ago, Radio Shack discontinued them in
favor of the junky boundary mikes they are selling now, which are not worth
modifying.

The tape-op article uses now-discontinued Panasonic capsules. It's not bad
although the RF noise rejection isn't so hot. I don't know where you would
get capsules for it.

I did an article in Recording magazine about how various electret mikes work
inside, with a bunch of different schematics of working designs. That was a
couple years ago, though.

Mike Rivers

In article .@. writes:

Hello out there, i reacently learned there is a mod for the radio shack
boundary mics that increases freq. response and less noise. has anyone tried
this?

Unless there's something recent, the Radio Shack PZM (really made by
Crown) mics for which modifications were floating around were very
different than what you can buy today. So the first step is finding
one of the older mics.

The simplest modification is cutting off the 1/4" phone plug and
replacing it with an XLR so you have a balanced output. (it's a
two-conductor shielded cable). The next modification (or the first
modification if you do it first) is to replace the AA battery with two
6V photo batteries.

There's also at least one modification that removes the transformer.

These days, I suspect that anything beyond the battery and connector
wouldn't be worth the effort.

--
I'm really Mike Rivers )

Richard Crowley

"Mike Rivers" wrote ...
Unless there's something recent, the Radio Shack PZM
(really made by Crown) mics for which modifications
were floating around were very different than what you
can buy today. So the first step is finding one of the older
mics.

The simplest modification is cutting off the 1/4" phone
plug and replacing it with an XLR so you have a balanced
output. (it's a two-conductor shielded cable). The next
modification (or the first modification if you do it first) is
to replace the AA battery with two 6V photo batteries.

There's also at least one modification that removes the
transformer.

The current ones don't even have a transformer. They do,
however, have a transformer-size/shape inductor. (Inside
the microphone "head")

These days, I suspect that anything beyond the battery
and connector wouldn't be worth the effort.

Mike Rivers

In article .@. writes:

i have found an article by Rick Chinn that mentions the newer 330-3022, and
they sell a PCB to convert it for phantom power. even with the junky mics,
if this $30 mod would increase freq response and noise rejection...might be
good for classrooms and/or audiences.

I wouldn't spend the $30 on the mod. You won't change the pattern
(noise rejection) and you might clean up the low frequency response,
but you don't need that for classroom and audience recording. If the
modification gave you higher output for a given sound level, that
might help but that depends on what you're connecting it to.

--
I'm really Mike Rivers )

alan

"Mike Rivers" wrote in message

In article .@. writes:

i have found an article by Rick Chinn that mentions the newer 330-3022,

and
they sell a PCB to convert it for phantom power. even with the junky

mics,
if this $30 mod would increase freq response and noise rejection...might

be
good for classrooms and/or audiences.

I wouldn't spend the $30 on the mod. You won't change the pattern
(noise rejection) and you might clean up the low frequency response,
but you don't need that for classroom and audience recording. If the
modification gave you higher output for a given sound level, that
might help but that depends on what you're connecting it to.

--
I'm really Mike Rivers )

true, and they will be useful anyway. i'm going to give them a call and see
what they say. hey thanks for the input! i'll look for those older ones...

Bob Cain

Mike Rivers wrote:

Unless there's something recent, the Radio Shack PZM (really made by
Crown) mics for which modifications were floating around were very
different than what you can buy today. So the first step is finding
one of the older mics.

How were they very different, Mike? The things are so dirt
simple that it's hard to see where there is any room for
difference.

BTW, a member of the micbuilders yahoo newsgroup posted
links to some recent research showing that all the PZM mode
does is screw up the frequency response compared to a
surface mounted small omni without a baffle or gap.
Directional performance is the same, a hemisphere.

I think for a boundry application it would be hard to beat a
Knowles FG-3329, which is a omni in a stainless steel
cylinder .1 inches long and .1 inches in diameter, mounted
flush with the surface of a thin nick five or six inches in
diameter off a large radius dome. That capsule is three
wire which allows for source follower operation and low
distortion and has better noise and frequency response specs
than any of the Panasonics. It isn't as cheap, though.
Thirty dollars or so leaded from DigiKey. Don't even think
about attaching leads to the cheaper non-leaded versions
yourself without a micro-waldo. A very good tech friend
fried three of them attempting it for me and the fourth had
an intermittant connection.

Bob

simpler."

A. Einstein

Richard Crowley

"Bob Cain" wrote ...
Mike Rivers wrote:
Unless there's something recent, the Radio Shack PZM (really made by
Crown) mics for which modifications were floating around were very
different than what you can buy today. So the first step is finding one
of the older mics.

How were they very different, Mike? The things are so dirt simple that
it's hard to see where there is any room for difference.

Completely different mechanically. Capsule is not parallel
to the surface (likely circumventing Crown's patent?)
Completely different in every way. Likely uses different
(and cheaper) electret capsules, etc. etc. Completely different
circuit also. Uses a small (3/4-inch cube) inductor in lieu
of a load resistor, etc.

BTW, a member of the micbuilders yahoo newsgroup posted links to some
recent research showing that all the PZM mode does is screw up the
frequency response compared to a surface mounted small omni without a
baffle or gap. Directional performance is the same, a hemisphere.

PZM was a solution looking for a problem. Certainly there
were *some* situations where PZM was the perfect solution,
but the vast majority of the applications I saw (and heard
described) ranged from inappropriate to ridiculous. 4-ft
square sheets of clear plastic flown over the audience just
to provide an adequate baffle for a PZM? At an outdoor
venue even.

Mike Rivers

In article writes:

How were they very different, Mike? The things are so dirt
simple that it's hard to see where there is any room for
difference.

Another argument about a word, eh? Strike "very" and we'll just say
they're different. How's an SM57 different from an RE11? They're just
different - they both work on the same principle, but they have
different elements and are mounted in different cases, and they just
sound different. Some people would say "very different," some would
just say "different," and others wouldn't care even if they recognized
the difference.

The new Radio Shack boundary mics compared to the original ones look
different, they have different capsules, they have different
electronics. They have flat plates, they pick up sound in roughly a
hemispherical pattern, and they use a battery for power, so yeah, I
guess they're not so different after all.

The point is that the old Radio Shack PZM was actually a fairly useful
mic for things that you'd use a PZM for (which is far from
"everything"). The new ones have zero reputation around here so I see
no reason to recommend using them, or even modifying them. But there's
no reason why someone shouldn't experiment if he has the time, the
money, and most important, the means to evaluate the effect of the
modification.

BTW, a member of the micbuilders yahoo newsgroup posted
links to some recent research showing that all the PZM mode
does is screw up the frequency response compared to a
surface mounted small omni without a baffle or gap.
Directional performance is the same, a hemisphere.

Anyone can post a link. Have they experimented with this and posted
any real life experience? It sounds to me like they're questioning the
validity of Ed Long's original work in designing this microphone
configuration. Boundary mics have been made with a flush-mounted omni
capsule looking up through a plate for quite a while. Generally
they're used in installed sound applications like conference rooms.
What we know as a "PZM" is sometimes used in those applications, but
more often they're found in portable applications. The two concepts
may be interchangeable in the lab, but not necessarily in practice.

I think for a boundry application it would be hard to beat a
Knowles FG-3329, which is a omni in a stainless steel
cylinder .1 inches long and .1 inches in diameter, mounted
flush with the surface of a thin nick five or six inches in
diameter off a large radius dome.

Hey, the guy didn't ask about building his own microphone, he asked
about modifying a microphone that he could buy off the shelf. I doubt
that he has the facilities to build what you're describing, though it
certainly sounds like an interesting experiment for someone who's as
interested in building microphones as using them.

--
I'm really Mike Rivers )

Scott Dorsey

Bob Cain wrote:
Mike Rivers wrote:

Unless there's something recent, the Radio Shack PZM (really made by
Crown) mics for which modifications were floating around were very
different than what you can buy today. So the first step is finding
one of the older mics.

How were they very different, Mike? The things are so dirt
simple that it's hard to see where there is any room for
difference.

The capsule design is very different, and it's positioned differently
against the backplate. The capsule used in the earlier Crown-made one
was very different than the one used in the current one.

I think for a boundry application it would be hard to beat a
Knowles FG-3329, which is a omni in a stainless steel
cylinder .1 inches long and .1 inches in diameter, mounted
flush with the surface of a thin nick five or six inches in
diameter off a large radius dome. That capsule is three
wire which allows for source follower operation and low
distortion and has better noise and frequency response specs
than any of the Panasonics. It isn't as cheap, though.
Thirty dollars or so leaded from DigiKey. Don't even think
about attaching leads to the cheaper non-leaded versions
yourself without a micro-waldo. A very good tech friend
fried three of them attempting it for me and the fourth had
an intermittant connection.

The problem is that if you put a clean and flat omni against a boundary,
you get a rising top octave. You might be better off with a microphone that
has a deliberately rolled-off top end.

alan

"Mike Rivers" wrote in message

In article
writes:

[...]

Actually it would be fun to try, but you are correct. i know there are no
perfect solutions, but im just trying to save some dough, and thought i'd
stumbled onto something.
-alan

Bob Cain

Mike Rivers wrote:

BTW, a member of the micbuilders yahoo newsgroup posted
links to some recent research showing that all the PZM mode
does is screw up the frequency response compared to a
surface mounted small omni without a baffle or gap.
Directional performance is the same, a hemisphere.

Anyone can post a link.

???

Have they experimented with this and posted
any real life experience?

It was Eric Benjamin, you may have heard of him, and it was
published measurement data, not measurements he did himself.

It sounds to me like they're questioning the
validity of Ed Long's original work in designing this microphone
configuration.

Precisely. Do you happen to have a link to his acousitcal
analysis of the configuration? Everything I've seen is hand
waving with little solid technical substance.

Boundary mics have been made with a flush-mounted omni
capsule looking up through a plate for quite a while. Generally
they're used in installed sound applications like conference rooms.
What we know as a "PZM" is sometimes used in those applications, but
more often they're found in portable applications. The two concepts
may be interchangeable in the lab, but not necessarily in practice.

It boils down to a different shaped orfice and at the
wavelengths where that difference should manifest, we ain't
hearing much of anything. That's why I'd like to see Long's
analysis (assuming it is more than verbage and drawings.)
It's really hard to see what differing effect the
configuration would have, relative to a flush mount, on
anything but the highest frequencies and what it might do
there doesn't seem that it would be anything good.

What screws up the response relative to flush mount in
practice is the diffraction due to the cantilever that holds
things above the gap. The dimensions of that are such that
the effects reach down a ways.

I think for a boundry application it would be hard to beat a
Knowles FG-3329, which is a omni in a stainless steel
cylinder .1 inches long and .1 inches in diameter, mounted
flush with the surface of a thin nick five or six inches in
diameter off a large radius dome.

Hey, the guy didn't ask about building his own microphone, he asked
about modifying a microphone that he could buy off the shelf. I doubt
that he has the facilities to build what you're describing, though it
certainly sounds like an interesting experiment for someone who's as
interested in building microphones as using them.

Yeah, that was the spirit in which it was offered although
making such a thing doesn't amount to much more work than
modifying an existing widget.

Bob

simpler."

A. Einstein

Bob Cain

Scott Dorsey wrote:
Bob Cain wrote:

How were they very different, Mike? The things are so dirt
simple that it's hard to see where there is any room for
difference.

The capsule design is very different,

Hmmm, I had one of the old ones years ago and it had a 1/4"
aluminum can electret in it which I'm pretty sure is the
same as the current model. At about $.35 in OEM quantities
it's pretty difficult to understand why they'd have
substituted something inferior to the WM60A which I've seen
reported as the original capsule.

Don't they both hold the capsule in a similar cantilever
over a flat plate with the same gap?

The problem is that if you put a clean and flat omni against a boundary,
you get a rising top octave.

Why is that? What happens at a reflective surface isn't
frequency dependant. It should be no different than having
it in free space between two identical rooms with identical
contents and sources in them (thus the 6 dB increase in
sensitivity.)

Bob

simpler."

A. Einstein

Mike Rivers

In article writes:

It was Eric Benjamin, you may have heard of him, and it was
published measurement data, not measurements he did himself.

Yes, I know Eric Benjamin (the one at Dolby). But I forgot why you
brought this up.

It sounds to me like they're questioning the
validity of Ed Long's original work in designing this microphone
configuration.

Precisely. Do you happen to have a link to his acousitcal
analysis of the configuration? Everything I've seen is hand
waving with little solid technical substance.

No. They didn't have links back then. I'm sure the PZM was developed
experimentally with some analysis to show that the principle works. I
doubt there was any sort of optimization analysis. Someone who worked
with him at the time that he was hand-building PZMs said that he used
a dollar bill as a gage to set the spacing of the capsule off the
boundary plate. Not very scientific, but reasonably repeatable. Or
maybe it was his first dollar.

It boils down to a different shaped orfice and at the
wavelengths where that difference should manifest, we ain't
hearing much of anything. That's why I'd like to see Long's
analysis (assuming it is more than verbage and drawings.)
It's really hard to see what differing effect the
configuration would have, relative to a flush mount, on
anything but the highest frequencies and what it might do
there doesn't seem that it would be anything good.

How about Cain's analysis? You'te pretty good at that sort of thing.

What screws up the response relative to flush mount in
practice is the diffraction due to the cantilever that holds
things above the gap. The dimensions of that are such that
the effects reach down a ways.

I'm sure that Crown has frequency response and polar plots. Have you
looked there? The design was from the days when they didn't have a lot
of graphic artists so what you can find, if you can find old data, is
likely to be close to what you get. Maybe someone with a well indexed
library of audio magazines going back to the '70s can find a good
review of an early generation PZM - maybe a Studio Sound issue. I
might even have one myself.

The principle of the PZM (as it was explained to me by Farrell
Becker, an associate of Ed Long's at the time, back stage at
Wolf Trap) is that the path length from the source to the capsule
is independent of the distance between the source and the
microphone. Since everything that gets to the capsule (theoretically)
is reflected off the boundary plate, everything travels through the
same path which is much shorter than the shortest wavelength
supported by the microphone. So there is no phase cancellation
at certain frequencies due to the path length. The idea was to
make a microphone with flat frequency response, at least down to
the lowest frequency that could bounce off the boundary plate.

To me, the capsule looking outward from a hole in the boundary
plate always intuitively seemed like a different animal, but I
suppose it could be mathematically equivalent. I never tried to
prove it or research it. Like many folks, I'm not a great fan of
the PZM, but sometimes it's just darn convenient to stick up one
or a pair and get a usable recording. And then there are all the
clever studio tricks like taping one to the glass between the
studio and control room to record a singer, or sticking one on
the drummer's chest. I'm sure those worked fine for the person
who wrote the article, and it makes good copy.

Hey, the guy didn't ask about building his own microphone, he asked
about modifying a microphone that he could buy off the shelf.

Yeah, that was the spirit in which it was offered although
making such a thing doesn't amount to much more work than
modifying an existing widget.

Well, I dunno about that. I think he's talking about electrical
modifications, maybe replacing the original circuit board with an
aftermarket one - four or six wires. No precision mechanical work
involved. I'll be interested to see his report.

--
I'm really Mike Rivers )

Scott Dorsey

Bob Cain wrote:
Scott Dorsey wrote:
Bob Cain wrote:

How were they very different, Mike? The things are so dirt
simple that it's hard to see where there is any room for
difference.

The capsule design is very different,

Hmmm, I had one of the old ones years ago and it had a 1/4"
aluminum can electret in it which I'm pretty sure is the
same as the current model. At about $.35 in OEM quantities
it's pretty difficult to understand why they'd have
substituted something inferior to the WM60A which I've seen
reported as the original capsule.

Try measuring the frequency response. The original capsule is not
anything like the WM60A. The WM60A has a resonant chamber built in
front of the diaphragm to hold the high end up above the resonant point
of the diaphragm. The capsule that Crown uses does not have this, and
since the resonant point is fairly low, it has a very low dropoff of the
top end. This is combined with the top end rise from the boundary effect
to give a reasonably flat response on the whole combined system.

Don't they both hold the capsule in a similar cantilever
over a flat plate with the same gap?

No, the new one in fact mounts the capsule with the diaphragm perpendicular
to the boundary.

The problem is that if you put a clean and flat omni against a boundary,
you get a rising top octave.

Why is that? What happens at a reflective surface isn't
frequency dependant. It should be no different than having
it in free space between two identical rooms with identical
contents and sources in them (thus the 6 dB increase in
sensitivity.)

Think of it as a comb filtering effect. I can probably dig up the white
paper from Crown around here somewhere if you want to see it, though.
The top octave rise is part of what makes the whole thing work.

Bob Cain

Mike Rivers wrote:
In article writes:

It was Eric Benjamin, you may have heard of him, and it was
published measurement data, not measurements he did himself.

Yes, I know Eric Benjamin (the one at Dolby). But I forgot why you
brought this up.

Because he was the one that reported this testing of the PZM
which found it wanting in comparison to a simpler omni. I
mentioned his name because if you know him you know that he
rarely, never in my experience, reports anything that
diverges from fact. I also know him personally and know
that his nature admits no bull****.

No. They didn't have links back then. I'm sure the PZM was developed
experimentally with some analysis to show that the principle works. I
doubt there was any sort of optimization analysis. Someone who worked
with him at the time that he was hand-building PZMs said that he used
a dollar bill as a gage to set the spacing of the capsule off the
boundary plate. Not very scientific, but reasonably repeatable. Or
maybe it was his first dollar.

How about Cain's analysis? You'te pretty good at that

sort of thing.

Here's where my doubt about all this happens. There is no
difference at all between a PZM on a wall and two summed
capsules on cantilevers in free space facing each other with
twice the gap between them and where the room on one side of
the pair is a mirror image of what's on the other side. I
can't see how the PZM configuration offers anything positive
compared to a single omni at that position. The fact that
sound approaching the PZM at any angle other than
perpindicular reaches the opening at the center of the
capsule with a variety of delays only implies combing at the
highest frequencies. The cantilever itself introduces
diffraction and angular variations that reach lower.

Absolutely no benefit from this configuration is apparent to
me in theory.

What screws up the response relative to flush mount in
practice is the diffraction due to the cantilever that holds
things above the gap. The dimensions of that are such that
the effects reach down a ways.

I'm sure that Crown has frequency response and polar plots. Have you
looked there?

I've learned, as I think you have too, not to pay much
attention to manufacturer's plots.

The design was from the days when they didn't have a lot
of graphic artists so what you can find, if you can find old data, is
likely to be close to what you get. Maybe someone with a well indexed
library of audio magazines going back to the '70s can find a good
review of an early generation PZM - maybe a Studio Sound issue. I
might even have one myself.

It really isn't a review I'd like to see but some
theoretical acoustical analysis that defines the difference
and the benefits quantitatively.

The principle of the PZM (as it was explained to me by Farrell
Becker, an associate of Ed Long's at the time, back stage at
Wolf Trap) is that the path length from the source to the capsule
is independent of the distance between the source and the
microphone.

The same is truer with an omni having a small orfice at the
same postion.

Since everything that gets to the capsule (theoretically)
is reflected off the boundary plate, everything travels through the
same path which is much shorter than the shortest wavelength
supported by the microphone. So there is no phase cancellation
at certain frequencies due to the path length. The idea was to
make a microphone with flat frequency response, at least down to
the lowest frequency that could bounce off the boundary plate.

This is the hand waving (not yours, I know) that really
makes no acoustical sense. Reflection from the plate or a
wall on which it is mounted just gives rise to a virtual
source on the other side which is summed with the real
source at the capsule itself. Imagine the wall as a mirror
and you'll see what the mic hears.

I'm sure those worked fine for the person
who wrote the article, and it makes good copy.

That's what I think. It was a cute marketing ploy, an
intruiging looking widget with no substantial real
difference that isn't of a somewhat negative nature.

Bob

simpler."

A. Einstein

Chris Hornbeck

On Tue, 23 Nov 2004 15:36:02 -0800, Bob Cain
wrote:

Mike Rivers wrote:
path length. The idea was to
make a microphone with flat frequency response, at least down to
the lowest frequency that could bounce off the boundary plate.

This is the hand waving (not yours, I know) that really
makes no acoustical sense. Reflection from the plate or a
wall on which it is mounted just gives rise to a virtual
source on the other side which is summed with the real
source at the capsule itself. Imagine the wall as a mirror
and you'll see what the mic hears.

Is there any factor-of-two difference in the two arguments,
or have I just been watching too many French movies lately?

Bonjour,

Chris Hornbeck