Thomas Althouse

Default Recommend mic's please

I'm looking for someone who actually has used and listened to a lot of
microphones for advice please.

I have 2 Apex, large area condensors, 3 AKG 100's and a range of dynamics. I
reaaly like the Apex's on a lot of applications such as vocals, acoustic
guitar etc. Usely the dynamics are used for live situations.

I'd really like to find the best for dollar large area cond. and buy two
more that would be even better than the Apex's. I've seen a lot of reports
about AT's, AKG's, Russians. Rodes, Studio Projects etc. Is there something
that would be a huge step above the Apex without being $800 or more?

Has someone out threre actually compared them and now has a preference?

Thanks

Tom eh!

Ty Ford

On Fri, 5 Nov 2004 22:29:11 -0500, Thomas Althouse wrote
(in article ):

I'm looking for someone who actually has used and listened to a lot of
microphones for advice please.

I have 2 Apex, large area condensors, 3 AKG 100's and a range of dynamics. I
reaaly like the Apex's on a lot of applications such as vocals, acoustic
guitar etc. Usely the dynamics are used for live situations.

I'd really like to find the best for dollar large area cond. and buy two
more that would be even better than the Apex's. I've seen a lot of reports
about AT's, AKG's, Russians. Rodes, Studio Projects etc. Is there something
that would be a huge step above the Apex without being $800 or more?

Has someone out threre actually compared them and now has a preference?

Thanks

Tom eh!

Please feel free to check out my archives.

Right now I'd suggest the Rode NT2-a, a serious update from the NT2.

Ty Ford

stuff are at www.tyford.com

Mike Rivers

In article writes:

I'm looking for someone who actually has used and listened to a lot of
microphones for advice please.

I have 2 Apex, large area condensors, 3 AKG 100's and a range of dynamics. I
reaaly like the Apex's on a lot of applications such as vocals, acoustic
guitar etc. Usely the dynamics are used for live situations.

Unfortunately people who listen to and use a wide variety of
microphones have been doing this for a long time and unless there's
some compelling reason to do so (like they're getting paid to write a
review) they don't go for low end mics like the Apex. And people who
do go for mics in that price range usually do so because that's all
they can afford. If an Apex is cheaper than an MXL and that's all the
money they have, they don't compare by listening, they compare by
asking and usually make a decision based on where they can get the
lowest price on the mic that nobody has anything particularly bad to
say about it.

I'd really like to find the best for dollar large area cond. and buy two
more that would be even better than the Apex's. I've seen a lot of reports
about AT's, AKG's, Russians. Rodes, Studio Projects etc. Is there something
that would be a huge step above the Apex without being $800 or more?

There are many which will be different, and that may be what you're
really looking for. I'd suggest that you go with a "tradeable" brand
this time around. Audio Technica and RODE have plenty of mics under
$500, and even under $300. Shure has a couple now too. Buy something
that you can afford, that has a decent reputation, and that you won't
lose much on if you decide after a few months that it isn't improving
your life. Reputable mics don't lose their value very fast. And you'll
be buying a reputable brand from a reputable dealer who will let you
return it within a reasonable period, a couple of weeks or a month, if
you decide early on that it's no better than what you have now and
there's no reason to keep it.

--
I'm really Mike Rivers )