WillStG

Default Gibson replacement caps?

I have nice old "Epiphone by Gibson" Sheridan, and I replaced the
intermittent caps on the tone controls with Gibson caps. But compared to how
the guitar sounds *without any* caps in there, they really bum me out. Any
suggestions for caps that sound better, that are more transparent?

If I didn't like to roll off the tone for jazz stuff occasionally I'd just
leave the caps out altogether.

Will Miho
NY Music & TV Audio Guy
Audioist 4 Fox News

Scott Dorsey

WillStG wrote:
I have nice old "Epiphone by Gibson" Sheridan, and I replaced the
intermittent caps on the tone controls with Gibson caps. But compared to how
the guitar sounds *without any* caps in there, they really bum me out. Any
suggestions for caps that sound better, that are more transparent?

You could try some higher grade film caps. But you're changing the loading
on the pickups with the capacitor, so _no_ capacitor is going to be
transparent. It isn't just rolling off the top end, it's changing the load
on the pickups too.

If I didn't like to roll off the tone for jazz stuff occasionally I'd just
leave the caps out altogether.

So get an amp that can roll the top end off. Or a speaker for the amp that
can.
Kendall

"Scott Dorsey" wrote in message
WillStG wrote:
[...]

Or, get one of those "push switch" volume knobs, and wire the cap to the
switch. Then, when you want the cap in circuit, you just push in the knob
to click it in, and then again to click it out. And the look of the guitar
will remain the same. Only you will know it is there.

Kendall

Pooh Bear

Scott Dorsey wrote:

WillStG wrote:
I have nice old "Epiphone by Gibson" Sheridan, and I replaced the
intermittent caps on the tone controls with Gibson caps. But compared to how
the guitar sounds *without any* caps in there, they really bum me out. Any
suggestions for caps that sound better, that are more transparent?

You could try some higher grade film caps. But you're changing the loading
on the pickups with the capacitor, so _no_ capacitor is going to be
transparent. It isn't just rolling off the top end, it's changing the load
on the pickups too.

If I didn't like to roll off the tone for jazz stuff occasionally I'd just
leave the caps out altogether.

So get an amp that can roll the top end off. Or a speaker for the amp that
can.

Or fit an active pre-amp in the guitar ?

Graham

Frank Vuotto

If I didn't like to roll off the tone for jazz stuff occasionally I'd just
leave the caps out altogether.

I use a 4 position rotary switch with the first postiton open and the
other 3 put a cap and resistor in circuit.

Frank /~ http://newmex.com/f10
@/

Caps in amps Carey Carlan Pro Audio 66 August 23rd 04 07:15 PM
bypassing electrolytic caps John Washburn Pro Audio 5 July 22nd 04 07:17 PM
FA: 2 RelCap 5uF/200VDC 10% caps and 4.7nF polyester bypass caps [email protected] Marketplace 0 March 23rd 04 03:37 AM
P&G Fader caps Josh Snider Tech 0 September 1st 03 12:07 AM
FS: Larrivee, 2 Gibson Acoustics Ted Spencer Pro Audio 0 July 9th 03 10:14 PM