Default Opinions on lav. mics, Senn MKE2-5 vs. AT899

I could jump into the political discussion, but let's get back to audio...

I'm looking for a good omni lav. mic. Does anyone know how AT899 compares to
the Sennheiser MKE2 (eg., MKE2-5-C)? Based on specs alone, the Sennheiser is
supposed to be less noisy (26dBA vs 30dBA for the AT), but how do they compare
in practice? I'm inclined to go for the AT since it is cheaper ($150 vs more
than $200 for the Sennheiser). By the way, I'm looking for just the mic (with
3 wires so I can wire to a battery pack).

Richard
Scott Dorsey

In article , wrote:
I could jump into the political discussion, but let's get back to audio...

I'm looking for a good omni lav. mic. Does anyone know how AT899 compares to
the Sennheiser MKE2 (eg., MKE2-5-C)? Based on specs alone, the Sennheiser is
supposed to be less noisy (26dBA vs 30dBA for the AT), but how do they compare
in practice? I'm inclined to go for the AT since it is cheaper ($150 vs more
than $200 for the Sennheiser). By the way, I'm looking for just the mic (with
3 wires so I can wire to a battery pack).

The noise specs aren't comparable, because they are measured differently, but
I think you will find the MKE2 really is quieter.

Have you looked at the Countryman? As far as ruggedness goes, I think the
Countryman is really hard to beat. They sound good too.
Len Moskowitz

Richard wrote:

I'm looking for a good omni lav. mic. Does anyone know how AT899 compares to
the Sennheiser MKE2 (eg., MKE2-5-C)? Based on specs alone, the Sennheiser is
supposed to be less noisy (26dBA vs 30dBA for the AT), but how do they compare
in practice? I'm inclined to go for the AT since it is cheaper ($150 vs more
than $200 for the Sennheiser). By the way, I'm looking for just the mic (with
3 wires so I can wire to a battery pack).

You might consider a DPA 4060 or 4061 instead. In my opinion it's a
better sounding lav and the lowest noise miniature mic of its type.

(Disclaimer: We are DPA dealers.)

Tel: 201-801-0812, FAX: 201-801-0912