J Warren

Default Hi-MD pcm transfer now supported, but...

Sony has finally made available a new version of Sonic Stage (2.2) and
has released the Wave Converter program (a standalone utility) to allow
transfer of pcm-encoded files and subsequent conversion to .wav files.

I installed both and tried them out. As was the case with earlier
versions of Sonic Stage, you cannot even attempt a transfer if the disc
is write-protected. I tried it on a long (70 minute) pcm file that I had
previously transferred to an ATRAC file. The transfer took about as long
as I expected. There was vigorous hard disk activity at the end, which I
assume is the ATRAC conversion. Sad to say, after the transfer was all
finished there was NO file on my hard drive. Better yet, the original
file on the minidisc was gone! Nothing in the documentation mentioned
this behavior (of course, who would dare?)...

This was not an insurmountable loss, since I'd already copied the file
and "converted" it via a good-quality soundcard to a .wav file.

Undaunted (well, slightly daunted), I recorded a new pcm file via line-
in on the MD. I repeated the transfer operation and it worked this time.
So did the subsequent Wave Converter operation. But the original MD file
was wiped from the MD again. I tried a few more times and in all cases
the transfer/conversion worked. In all cases, the original file on the
MD was gone afterwards.

I don't know if this is a bug, but if it isn't it should be...

So, thanks, Sony, for coming through with the promised converter
program, but BOO! if erasing the source is SOP.

I've opened a support request to ask about this. No response so far.

Jason
etotheix

There's a button (Options?) at the lower right of the transfer window
in SonicStage. If you click on it, there's a check box that sets
whether SonicStage deletes a file when it tranfers from your MD.