Jonathan Wolfson

Default Microphone Needed

Hello all,

I am looking for a microphone that can amplify my voice without
needing any sort of amplifier. Does such a product exist? Is there
anything that can amplify your voice without an amp? If so, what is
the price range for such a device? I play acoustic guitar for senior
citizens and they cannot hear me when I sing, so I just need some
simple device to slightly amplify my voice. You would think such a
product exists!

Thanks,

Jonathan

Sander

Jonathan Wolfson wrote:

I am looking for a microphone that can amplify my voice without
needing any sort of amplifier. Does such a product exist?

http://tinyurl.com/5ga47
Logan Shaw

Jonathan Wolfson wrote:
I am looking for a microphone that can amplify my voice without
needing any sort of amplifier.

Wouldn't anything that *amplifies* your voice by definition be some
sort of *amplifier*? What you've said is somewhat like going to
The Container Store and asking if they have anything you can keep
your stuff in that isn't a container.

I assume what you're actually looking for is some sort of self-contained
device that looks like a microphone and yet amplifies your voice. You
can battery powered megaphones, such as this:

http://www.emprep.com/megaphone.html

The problem is, they are designed solely for intelligibility and
volume, not for sound quality, so it's going to sound like total
crap when you sing through it. Also, it's big and bulky, and you'll
look silly. And it'll be hard to find a way to mount that thing on
some sort of stand while you sing. (It would be difficult to play
guitar while holding one of those...)

To be more practical, the simplest solution is probably to get a small
portable keyboard amp and plug a microphone into it. Such as (just
pulling this example out of thin air) a cheap Roland, like this:

http://www.music123.com/Roland-KC60-...p-i79274.music

and a Shure SM58 microphone:

http://www.shure.com/microphones/models/sm58.asp

and a boom mic stand, and a 20-ft XLR cable. Total cost to buy this
stuff new would probalby be $400 to $500, but you could probably do
a whole lot better if you look around for used stuff.

Alternatively, if you haven't already, get some vocal training and
learn to project your voice, like they used to do before electronics
existed.

- Logan

Geoff Wood

"Jonathan Wolfson" wrote in message
m...
Hello all,

I am looking for a microphone that can amplify my voice without
needing any sort of amplifier. Does such a product exist? Is there
anything that can amplify your voice without an amp? If so, what is
the price range for such a device? I play acoustic guitar for senior
citizens and they cannot hear me when I sing, so I just need some
simple device to slightly amplify my voice. You would think such a
product exists!

Megaphones exist. And toy mics with a built-in reverberator/amplifier.

Or do you want really want a microphone with a little amp/speaker pack ?

All the above are available - Toa do the megaphones and the little pa packs.

geoff

Steven Sena

Hey do you guys remember when actual real audio engineers would post
here...?
--
Steven Sena
XS Sound Recording

"Jonathan Wolfson" wrote in message
m...
Hello all,

I am looking for a microphone that can amplify my voice without
needing any sort of amplifier. Does such a product exist? Is there
anything that can amplify your voice without an amp? If so, what is
the price range for such a device? I play acoustic guitar for senior
citizens and they cannot hear me when I sing, so I just need some
simple device to slightly amplify my voice. You would think such a
product exists!

Thanks,

Jonathan

TimPerry

"Steven Sena" wrote in message
Hey do you guys remember when actual real audio engineers would post
here...?
--
Steven Sena
XS Sound Recording
www.xssound.com

"Jonathan Wolfson" wrote in message
m...
Hello all,

I am looking for a microphone that can amplify my voice without
needing any sort of amplifier. Does such a product exist? Is there
anything that can amplify your voice without an amp? If so, what is
the price range for such a device? I play acoustic guitar for senior
citizens and they cannot hear me when I sing, so I just need some
simple device to slightly amplify my voice. You would think such a
product exists!

Thanks,

Jonathan

i think Jonathan is simply asking for a practical solution to a real
problem. even if he lugs a small PA system in his audience will have
differing volume needs.

the key at this point is to supply headphones either wired or wireless to
those whom are in need of it. a number of companies make assisted listening
devices for example http://williamssound.com/.

alternatively a part 15 FM transmitter and low cost portable radios with
headsets or headset type radios might suffice.

add a headworn mic, a small mixer and the whole show should fit into a
largish briefcase.

another possibility is a stage IEM (in ear monitor) unit. this will probably
cost more then the other systems but it has the same functionality.

another idea is to use a wired headphone amp system. the downside of this it
the tangle of wires you have to deal with.

there are also some infrared type wireless headphone systems intended for
home consumers. these have found there way into studios from time to time.

Tim

Jonathan Wolfson

Sir, do you know where I can get a toy mic with a built in amplifier?
I need something cheap and that will just amplify my voice a little
bit. Getting a toy product seems like a wise idea.

Megaphones exist. And toy mics with a built-in reverberator/amplifier.

Or do you want really want a microphone with a little amp/speaker pack ?

All the above are available - Toa do the megaphones and the little pa packs.

geoff

T Maki

You might look at Califone products, specifically the
VoiceSaver. It's a little belt-worn, battery-operated
amplifier/speaker unit with a wired head-worn microphone.

My wife is a high school theatre tech/choir teacher and
usually doubles as dance coach/choreographer for the
musicals. She bought one for the times she has to be on
stage teaching dance steps. She says it works well for its
purpose, is easy to use and won't break the bank.

Google Califone+"voice saver" and you'll find it at several
places. It's only about $65.00 and may fit your needs. You
might also go to Califone's Web site and look at other
products in their line that might be suitable. Products like
this are rarely found in "professional audio", so you need
to look in other places. Educators and presenters have a
need for a product just as you describe, and you have to
look in places that are oriented to that market. Califone
has been in business for decades supplying media products to
educators.

For substantially more money, you might look at the Azden
APS 25. It's a little wireless mic/amp/speaker system that
is quite small and would be easily carried and set up. It is
quite versatile in that it can be configured with a variety
of mics and headsets. It might be worth checking out
(http://www.azden.com).

Just a couple of places to get you started.

TM

Jonathan Wolfson wrote:

I just need some
simple device to slightly amplify my voice. You would think such a
product exists!

Mike Rivers

"Jonathan Wolfson" wrote in message
m...

I am looking for a microphone that can amplify my voice without
needing any sort of amplifier. Does such a product exist? Is there
anything that can amplify your voice without an amp?

By definition, you need an amplifier, but it doesn't always have to be
separate from the microphone. A "bullhorn" that you see on cop and
rescue TV shows is the typical product. Sometimes the amplifier and
its batteries are built in to the same unit and you use it like a
megaphone. Others have a belt pack with the electronics with the mic
on one end of the hand-held assembly and the speaker on the other.

I believe Radio Shack has a near-toy version, and a cop shop will have
a real one. Don't expect anything better than megaphone/telephone
fidelity though. They're designed to amplify the speech range and
emphasize intelligibility at the expense of warmth and airy top end
that we seek in music production of the voice.

--
I'm really Mike Rivers - )
Geoff Wood

"Jonathan Wolfson" wrote in message
m...
Sir, do you know where I can get a toy mic with a built in amplifier?
I need something cheap and that will just amplify my voice a little
bit. Getting a toy product seems like a wise idea.

Any major toy shop should have something like it. Called something like
"Echo-Mike" , but sounds pretty bad. Maybe it's electronic, or done with a
diaphram and springs. Really NOT what you need.

What you need is something compact like the Toa Meeting Amplifier

WA-1822 http://www.toaelectronics.com/wa-1822.asp

or WA-641 http://www.toaelectronics.com/disc/m...a-641_641c.pdf

geoff