Jay Levitt

Default AKG C414 cases?

I just got two of the new C414-XLII mics, and they came in these really
cheap metallic-painted-plastic cases that *look* like shipping cases but
are probably less sturdy than the foam inside. The sides of the cases
aren't even attached - they're plastic inserts. I think I've seen the
same cases on Rode mics.

Anyway, I was surprised to see this on a mid-priced mic - even my TLM103
comes in a nice wooden box - but I just chalked this up to "today's
industry trends of cutting costs", etc. But then I read Paul Stamler's
review in Recording where he mentions the sturdy metal cases. Have they
changed cases, perhaps? Paul, were your mics preproduction? Did you
have your glasses on?

--
Jay Levitt |
Wellesley, MA | Hi!
Geoff Wood

"Jay Levitt" wrote in message
I just got two of the new C414-XLII mics, and they came in these really
cheap metallic-painted-plastic cases that *look* like shipping cases but
are probably less sturdy than the foam inside. The sides of the cases
aren't even attached - they're plastic inserts. I think I've seen the
same cases on Rode mics.

Anyway, I was surprised to see this on a mid-priced mic - even my TLM103
comes in a nice wooden box - but I just chalked this up to "today's
industry trends of cutting costs", etc. But then I read Paul Stamler's
review in Recording where he mentions the sturdy metal cases. Have they
changed cases, perhaps? Paul, were your mics preproduction? Did you
have your glasses on?

I haven't seen the XL-II here yet, but the AKGs we have in the warehouse are
in stiff black plastic card sided boxes with metal edge mouldings and
clasps. Not flimsy in the slightest, and not that you would hestite to
place in a box along with a bunch of other gear (unlike a nice wooden case).

geoff

Ty Ford

On Fri, 29 Oct 2004 19:25:34 -0400, Geoff Wood wrote
(in article ):

"Jay Levitt" wrote in message
[...]

I have two of them here. Not flimsy.

Regards,

Ty Ford

stuff are at www.tyford.com

Jack

In article , in
rec.audio.pro, says...
In article ,
says...
I'd say it's a fluke for sure (or at least somebody screwed with your
case). I have a C414B-XLS and it is in a metal case. Did yours have an
AKG sticker on the front of it? Mine has one that's black with silvery
lettering saying AKG Acoustics with their company logo on it and the
identifier of C414B-XLS.
Maybe someone changed the case your came in. Even AKG's site says it
comes in a metal case.

I think if you look closer at the case, you'll see it's not metal... tap
on it and give it a listen It's all (or at least mostly) painted
plastic, except for the hinges. My case is this one:

http://www.akg.com/products/powersla...id,798,pid,798,
_language,EN.html

Where does the AKG site say it's a metal case?

It's in the product description (quoted below):
"The C 414 B/XLS has a transformerless output and all-metal chassis,
making it immune to electrical interference and RF from digital
equipment, video monitors and wireless systems. It comes complete in an
all-metal road case with the AKG H-85 shock mount, a PF80 external two-
stage pop filter, a W414X external windscreen an individually-measured
chart showing the response curve of the microphone. It is also available
in factory-matched stereo pairs packaged with a H50 stereo bar instead
of the external pop filter."

This was reached from http://www.akgusa.com/product.aspx after clicking
on the mic model in question.
--
de Jack N2MPU FN20
Modeling the NYC and NYNH&H in HO and CP Rail and D&H in N
Geoff Wood

http://www.akg.com/products/powersla...id,798,pid,798,
_language,EN.html

The ones of those I have seen, with older 414s, are all metal.

The less expensive mics come in the same 'chassis' case with black plastic
panels. The edge-mouldings are aluminium in both cases (pun intended).

geoff

Ty Ford

On Sat, 30 Oct 2004 22:19:53 -0500, Jack wrote
(in article ) :

In article , in
rec.audio.pro, says...
In article ,
says...
I haven't seen the XL-II here yet, but the AKGs we have in the warehouse
are
in stiff black plastic card sided boxes with metal edge mouldings and
clasps. Not flimsy in the slightest, and not that you would hestite to
place in a box along with a bunch of other gear (unlike a nice wooden
case).

geoff

I have two of them here. Not flimsy.

OK, I guess I was a little miffed at the plastic cases when Paul seemed
to get metal ones, and suspicious when one of them came with the handle
broken off, but maybe that's a fluke.

I'd say it's a fluke for sure (or at least somebody screwed with your
case). I have a C414B-XLS and it is in a metal case. Did yours have an
AKG sticker on the front of it? Mine has one that's black with silvery
lettering saying AKG Acoustics with their company logo on it and the
identifier of C414B-XLS.
Maybe someone changed the case your came in. Even AKG's site says it
comes in a metal case.

These cases are silver (can't tell if the material is metal or something
else) The lettering is black. One of the clasps is a bit misplaced; a bit
loose, but with the foam inside pushing the case open. it holds.

All in all, given what they did to improve the mics and the new features
WHILE KEEPING THE PRICE FLAT, I'd say they have a winner.

Want to mess with someone? Hold down one of the switches as you plug the mic
into a phantom supply. When I did it here, it froze the logic circuits.
Unplug and replug and you unlock them.

Regards,

Ty Ford

stuff are at
www.tyford.com

Geoff Wood

"Ty Ford" wrote in message

Want to mess with someone? Hold down one of the switches as you plug the
mic
into a phantom supply. When I did it here, it froze the logic circuits.
Unplug and replug and you unlock them.

A firmware upgrade for a mic maybe ?!!!

geoff

Ty Ford

On Fri, 20 May 2005 20:25:38 -0400, Geoff Wood wrote
(in article ):

"Ty Ford" wrote in message

Want to mess with someone? Hold down one of the switches as you plug the
mic
into a phantom supply. When I did it here, it froze the logic circuits.
Unplug and replug and you unlock them.

A firmware upgrade for a mic maybe ?!!!

geoff

Weird. Two post from what, last year. I have no clue what they're doing here.
I didn't post them. Has usenet sprung a leak?

Ty

stuff are at www.tyford.com

FA: CD Jewel Cases Hev Pro Audio 0 October 7th 04 02:38 PM
Cases for Macs? JMS Pro Audio 6 September 27th 04 06:06 PM
Cases for Macs? JMS Pro Audio 0 September 27th 04 03:24 AM
FS: NEW AKG C414 BULS w/ flight cases----$599.00 Musician's Advocate Pro Audio 0 August 22nd 04 09:34 PM
Combo Cases for taller mixers? D. Lemon Pro Audio 2 March 18th 04 02:43 AM