Geoff Wood

Default Biamp specs

I just acquired some powered speakers which feature a 400wrms 'lo' amp and
100wrms 'hi' amp.

How do I describe these to reantal customers - 400W or 500W ?

FWIW the lo amp is Class D and sounds pretty good to me ( unlike some other
attempted class D amps I have heard ). This coupled with the neodium B+C
bass driver makes for a reasonably light unit; significantly lighter than a
RCF/Mackie ART500A and sounding *almost* as smooth.

geoff

Mike T.

On Fri, 29 Oct 2004 22:22:25 +1300, "Geoff Wood"
-nospam wrote:

I just acquired some powered speakers which feature a 400wrms 'lo' amp and
100wrms 'hi' amp.

How do I describe these to reantal customers - 400W or 500W ?

FWIW the lo amp is Class D and sounds pretty good to me ( unlike some other
attempted class D amps I have heard ). This coupled with the neodium B+C
bass driver makes for a reasonably light unit; significantly lighter than a
RCF/Mackie ART500A and sounding *almost* as smooth.

We all know that the wattage of the amp bears only an indirect
relationship to the loudness of the speaker, right?
OK, now that we agree on that, I would call them a 500W speaker
because they can go at least as loud as the same speaker with a
passive Xover and a 500W amp.
Mike T.
Geoff Wood

"Mike T." wrote in message

We all know that the wattage of the amp bears only an indirect
relationship to the loudness of the speaker, right?

Yeah, but the punters need something they can relate to, and 123dB really
doesn't mean much to most people.

OK, now that we agree on that, I would call them a 500W speaker
because they can go at least as loud as the same speaker with a
passive Xover and a 500W amp.

That's more or less what I was thinking, but I'm still not sure technically.
LIke you can get 500W-worth unless it's a full-range signal including HF
content.

On the other hand, offering a system rated at 1KW may scare people off,
compared with calling it 800W ;-?

geoff

Eric Desrochers

Mike T. wrote:

I would call them a 500W speaker
because they can go at least as loud as the same speaker with a
passive Xover and a 500W amp.
Mike T.

"At least" is an understatement! A multi-amped, active system
equivalent power is higher than the sum of its separate power specs.

But to avoid speculation about equivalent power and possibly false
representation to your clients, I would market your 400 + 100 as a 500
watts.

--
Eric (Dero) Desrochers
http://homepage.mac.com/dero72