Z Gluhak

Default Alternator whine when gains are set more than half way

I adjusted the gains on my MTX 4200x amp to about 3/4 of the way. Now the
sound is good but the system is making a little bit of whine noise. Not a
lot but enough to bug me. If I turn the gains back down to 1/4 way the
noise is gone.

A couple cars ago the RCA inputs on the amp broke off from the board (the
shield part) and I couldn't solder them back to where they would hold well
so I used a small piece of wire, soldered it to the gold plated connector
and then soldered the other end to the board so the flexing of the
connectors wouldn't break the connection. It appears to work fine.

I don't know enought to know if that may have something to do with it or if
I simply have noise in my system that doesn't appear until the gains
increase the voltage going into the amp therefore increasing the noise
coming in with the signal.

Any help appreciated.

My RCAs run on one side of the car (by the door), everything except the HU
is grounded under the back seat to a single point, to bare metal with a
tight metal screw. The power wire runs through the opposite side in the
center of car, there is at least 2 ft between and I've done my best to
separate the power from signal as best as possible.

Gordon

Besides all the normal stuff like ensuring that your amp chassis is
not grounded, and that your amp ground is nice and solid (Can't stress
this enough): I would most likely suspect the broken RCA. Be sure
that the RCA shield is grounded to the PCB properly. You may want to
experiment by grounding the RCA ground to different/multiple points on
the PCB as multiple paths may have been broken. Try to get'em all!

Try moving your amp ground as well.

Gordon

"Z Gluhak" wrote in message ...
[...]

thelizman

franky wrote:
While we're at it?

cheers,

Franky

While you're at it...quote...ya dumb****.

--
thelizman "I didn't steal the FAQ either"

teamROCS Car Audio Forums
http://www.teamrocs.com/caraudio/
teamROCS Car Audio News http://www.teamrocs.com/news/
"It's about the music, stupid"

This post is Copyright (C) 2004. Reproduction of its content anywhere
other than usenet without the express written permission of the author
is forbidden.
franky

While we're at it?

cheers,