Cristiano

Default MP3 unit for 03 Civic

I spent some time trying to find a post about this but none of them
seemed to help me.

I would like to get some suggestions about MP3 players having at least
the following:

- Play CD-RW
- Customize at least the background color of the display
- Good radio reception
- Display ID3 tags information

A friend of mine has a JVC-SH707 and he is very satisfied with it
but he told me that you cannot customize the display.

Look at the Alpine units.

I have the 9815 (blue display, not changeable), but it's worth it to
sacrifice no color option because the display is dot matrix making the text
much more readable and supporting upper/lowercase. 9813 has orange/green
switchable illum. but no dot matrix display.

The Alpine units support CD-RW, have good radio reception, and support not
only ID3v1, but ID3v2 which removes character limits, etc.

The Alpine manual says there is a 30 character limit on ID3 tags/filenames,
but this is completely BUNK and contradicts with their own manual in that
the 30 char limit is a ID3v1 issue, but the HU supports ID3v2. I have many
mp3 files that have filenames longer than 30, and ID3 tags longer than 30
characters.

-Tom

"Cristiano" wrote in message
om...
I spent some time trying to find a post about this but none of them
seemed to help me.

I would like to get some suggestions about MP3 players having at least
the following:

- Play CD-RW
- Customize at least the background color of the display
- Good radio reception
- Display ID3 tags information

A friend of mine has a JVC-SH707 and he is very satisfied with it
but he told me that you cannot customize the display.

---

kkmike

"T" wrote in message ...
Look at the Alpine units.

I have the 9815 (blue display, not changeable), but it's worth it to
sacrifice no color option because the display is dot matrix making the text
much more readable and supporting upper/lowercase. 9813 has orange/green
switchable illum. but no dot matrix display.

The Alpine units support CD-RW, have good radio reception, and support not
only ID3v1, but ID3v2 which removes character limits, etc.

The Alpine manual says there is a 30 character limit on ID3 tags/filenames,
but this is completely BUNK and contradicts with their own manual in that
the 30 char limit is a ID3v1 issue, but the HU supports ID3v2. I have many
mp3 files that have filenames longer than 30, and ID3 tags longer than 30
characters.

-Tom

I have the 9813. There is no difference in the text display between
the 9815 & 9813, they both have scrolling LCD. Don't know what dot
matrix is - other than an old printer. They do though have character
limit. I don't know if it's 30, but long song names do get cut off
after a certain point.
Also the 9813 doesn't have color switching, it changes to orange when
settings are being modified, then goes back to green when they are
saved.
Anyway, I love mine and I pretty much only listen to MP3 discs. The
price recently dropped, so you should be able to pick it up for a
little over $300.
Mike

The displays of the 9813 and 9815 are VERY different. Dot matrix means
there's little pixels (not your typical LCD lines) that illuminate and can
render text much more readable in both upper & lower case. Look closely. The
9815 has a two line display, whereas the 9813 has a one line display. The
9815 also has i-Personalize whereas the 9813 does not.

Maybe on the 9813 there is a character limit. But I've tested my 9815 to 60
characters and it still isn't cutting off.

I was wrong about color switching on the 9813, must've misread that
somewhere.

Things to think about when deciding.

-T

"kkmike" wrote in message
om...
"T" wrote in message

[...]

kkmike

"T" wrote in message ...
The displays of the 9813 and 9815 are VERY different. Dot matrix means
there's little pixels (not your typical LCD lines) that illuminate and can
render text much more readable in both upper & lower case. Look closely. The
9815 has a two line display, whereas the 9813 has a one line display. The
9815 also has i-Personalize whereas the 9813 does not.

Maybe on the 9813 there is a character limit. But I've tested my 9815 to 60
characters and it still isn't cutting off.

I was wrong about color switching on the 9813, must've misread that
somewhere.

Things to think about when deciding.

-T

Ok, I saw a dot matrix last night at Circuit City. They didn't have
the Alpine, but I saw what you meant on another unit. Maybe the
Alpine has nicer dot matrix, but the one I saw last night - cant'
remember the brand, didn't look as nice as the LCD on the 9813 (not as
bright, and a little too small).
The 9813 does have the i-Personalize, you just have to manually input
the settings after you print out the configuration from their website
- vs downloading it and saving it on a CD for the 9815. You can't
save multiple configurations on the 9813 either. You can't go wrong
with either unit.

Mike

ec

"kkmike" wrote in message
m...
"T" wrote in message

[...]

Alpine has all new models out, including the 9835, which has 512 different
colors. It is the 9815's replacement.

John Opezdol

"ec" wrote in message news:eogXb.66207$F15.50212@fed1read06...

"kkmike" wrote in message
m...
"T" wrote in message

[...]

Do any of these units skip while playing audio CDs or MP3 cds?
I have a rather stiff suspension and plan to ditch Blaupunkt mp3 player,
hopefully sometime soon.

ec

"John Opezdol" wrote in message

"ec" wrote in message news:eogXb.66207$F15.50212@fed1read06...

"kkmike" wrote in message
m...
"T" wrote in message

[...]

I have the 9815 so can only comment on it. It has never skipped while
playing MP3 or CD Audio. My mp3 are 44K/320Kbps. My car is a 92 5.0 Mustang
with an Eibach Pro-Kit for springs, 5-way adjustable shocks set on 5, and
full chassis bracing including strut brace, sub-frame connectors, rear
panhard bar, HD upper and lower rear control arms, etc. So, it's stiff :P I
was shocked the 1st two weeks I had the deck that it just would NOT skip. It
hasn't to this day, purchased 12/03.

kkmike

"John Opezdol" wrote in message Do any of these units skip while playing audio CDs or MP3 cds?
I have a rather stiff suspension and plan to ditch Blaupunkt mp3 player,
hopefully sometime soon.

I have the 9813 in a 1999 Suburban 4x4 and I've smacked a few pot
holes & RR crossings; haven't had any problems skipping yet.

Mike