TheBIessedDead

Default Amp bridging?

I am bridging the 4 channels of my 5 channel Hifonics amp to run my Directed
Audio components in the front of my car. I noticed tonight that the little
diagram on the amp that shows which channels to bridge is actually not right
for what I need. I want to bridge the two left channels to the left speaker,
and the two right channels to the right speaker, but if I follow the little
diagram on the amp, I have the front left and rear right bridged, and the front
right and the rear left bridged. This is no good for my purposes, so I'm
wondering if its ok to bridge it how I want to, even though the diagram on the
amp doesn't show it that way. Bridge the two left channels and the two right
channels. Is that diagram just a suggestion for those who aren't sure how to
bridge, or do those channels have something special about them that requires
ONLY those to be bridged?

Nick

Paul Vina

Why won't it work? It doesn't matter which pair you bridge as long as you
end up with two bridged channels. The you connect the left front rca from
the HU to one input and the right front rca output to the other. Does that
makes sense, I think it reads funny. Stop thinking in terms of front and
rear after you bridge the amp and you'll be fine. If you want I can email
you some pics of my wife's car. I bridged a 4 channel amp to her front
speakers and it's the same way.

Paul Vina

[...]

TheBIessedDead

Why won't it work? It doesn't matter which pair you bridge as long as you
end up with two bridged channels. The you connect the left front rca from
the HU to one input and the right front rca output to the other. Does that
makes sense, I think it reads funny. Stop thinking in terms of front and
rear after you bridge the amp and you'll be fine. If you want I can email
you some pics of my wife's car. I bridged a 4 channel amp to her front
speakers and it's the same way.

I think I understand what you are saying Paul.

Here is what I did: I bridged the front two channels to the left speaker, and
the rear channels to the right speakers. Just like the amp shows.

Then, I took the left input from the first RCA, and the left input from the
second RCA, and ran it to the front channels... And then the right two to the
rear channels. Is this ok? Some people at Car Audio Forum told me this would
work.

Any thoughts on this?

My main concern about doing it the other way is that each speaker would be
getting a left and a right signal, and I just can't see how that could be good
for stereo. I mean, a guitar solo thats suppose to be coming from the left
side, would then be coming from both sides. At least, thats the impression I
got when thinking about it.

Nick

Mark Zarella

that should work fine. remember tto keep the fader centered at all times.

Or even better, just use Y's. The fader can possibly be used as a level
adjuster elsewhere.

TheBIessedDead

Or even better, just use Y's. The fader can possibly be used as a level
adjuster elsewhere.

What do you mean by a level adjuster elsewhere?

The only reason I didn't use Y's was that I had this other set of RCA's laying
around that I could use instead of spending 10 bucks on more parts.

Nick

TheBIessedDead

You're biamping, right? Well, assuming you have a sub level control
already, you could use the fader to control midrange/tweeter balance.

Nah, I'm not bi amping... I'm just bridging the 4 channels of my 5 channel amp
so that I will have more power/headroom to my components. 50x2 vs. 160x2.