Robert Pascarella

Default Routing Headphones Mix directly from ProTools

Hi. Due to a slight hum in my aux channells on a Trident Series 64
Console (of which I use as headphone sends), I am considering running
a headphone mix directly out of my ProTools 192 I/O. I'm thinking this
might give me a fast fix and a quieter headphone signal.

In my current set up, I use my plugins exclusively and return back to
the board from PT through output 1 and 2. Thus, my other outputs are
rarely used and certainly 15 and 16 could be utilized for headphones
(or 7 and 8)

So, here are my questions:

1. Has anyone done this?
2. Can I set up an additional bus or aux in PT for each track and
route this to outputs 15 and 16 (or maybe 7 and 8). Then feed that
directly to the headphone amp?
3. If this is possible, then it is possible to use more I/O outputs to
provide for multiple headphone mixes?

Your comments are appreciated.

Bob Pascarella
(who should know the answer to this question but is just being lazy)
Lorin David Schultz

How long is the throughput delay with a 192? Is there a chance that the
process of converting the source to digital, running it through Pro
Tools and converting it back to analog would introduce enough delay to
mess up a musician? If so, don't do it.

I can't think of any other potential obstacles though.

- Lorin David Schultz
in the control room
making even bad news sound good

(Remove spamblock to reply)

"Robert Pascarella" wrote in message

[...]

Robert Pascarella

On Fri, 15 Oct 2004 07:49:19 GMT, "Lorin David Schultz"
wrote:

How long is the throughput delay with a 192? Is there a chance that the
process of converting the source to digital, running it through Pro
Tools and converting it back to analog would introduce enough delay to
mess up a musician? If so, don't do it.

I can't think of any other potential obstacles though.

Aux send out of each channel through Interface 7 and 8, I was able to
simply patch those outputs directly into the phones amp at the patch
bay.

The phones sounded really good just testing with a mic. And I didn't
hear any delay that I could notice. But testing is different than
recording and I'll try to track guitar/vocals and see if it feels
weird to me. Biggest problem in doing this was in disconnecting the
console Auxs to the headphones, I lost my TB mic at the mixer.

I thought to set up a mic and send it to a rec channel to get TB
through ProTools but that would eat up an input channel and I don't
want to do that.

I'm going to try to merge the Aux out on the console with the I/O
signal in some kind of merge box that I'm sure I can buy. Then I can
have both the TB and the aux send from PT into the headphone amp.

I actually like doing this and I hope it works out. Now I can automate
the headphone mix, add EQ and effects easily to it and best of all
SAVE those settings. Very good for me because I'm usually doing
several projects at a time and each one has different headphone
requirements.

Thanks
BP