Ken MacGregor

Default Recording Studio Fire

Local LA news this morning was showing taped coverage of a major fire at
International Recording in Burbank. Fire crews had been pouring water on the
facility for hours and it was still burning. There was a shot of the front of
the studio, with water pouring out like a waterfall down the front steps. They
said an explosion blew the roof off the building, and debris was thrown half a
block away. No one is believed to have been injured as the building was
thought to be empty at the time the fire started. The facility looked to be
quite large from the exterior shots.
Dale Farmer

Ken MacGregor wrote:

Local LA news this morning was showing taped coverage of a major fire at
International Recording in Burbank. Fire crews had been pouring water on the
facility for hours and it was still burning. There was a shot of the front of
the studio, with water pouring out like a waterfall down the front steps. They
said an explosion blew the roof off the building, and debris was thrown half a
block away. No one is believed to have been injured as the building was
thought to be empty at the time the fire started. The facility looked to be
quite large from the exterior shots.

Well ****. Hope they had their insurance up to date. Gas leak?

--Dale

Rail Jon Rogut

They're a film post facility.. with a Euphonix digital console I believe.

Rail
--
Recording Engineer/Software Developer
Rail Jon Rogut Software

"Ken MacGregor" wrote in message
Local LA news this morning was showing taped coverage of a major fire at
International Recording in Burbank. Fire crews had been pouring water on

the
facility for hours and it was still burning. There was a shot of the front

of
the studio, with water pouring out like a waterfall down the front steps.

They
said an explosion blew the roof off the building, and debris was thrown

half a
block away. No one is believed to have been injured as the building was
thought to be empty at the time the fire started. The facility looked to

be
quite large from the exterior shots.

Benjamin Maas

Euphonix has them listed as System 5 users... Seems like they've done some
pretty big stuff.

--Ben

--
Benjamin Maas
Fifth Circle Audio

Please remove "Nospam" from address for replies

"Rail Jon Rogut" wrote in message
k.net...
They're a film post facility.. with a Euphonix digital console I believe.

Rail
--
Recording Engineer/Software Developer
Rail Jon Rogut Software
http://www.railjonrogut.com

hank alrich

Benjamin Maas wrote:

Euphonix has them listed as System 5 users... Seems like they've done some
pretty big stuff.

What's the best mic for recording studio fire?

--
ha

Glenn Dowdy

"hank alrich" wrote in message
.. .
Benjamin Maas wrote:

Euphonix has them listed as System 5 users... Seems like they've done

some
pretty big stuff.

What's the best mic for recording studio fire?

Some type of shotgun mic, I'd warrant.

Glenn D.

Arny Krueger

Benjamin Maas wrote:

Euphonix has them listed as System 5 users... Seems like they've
done some pretty big stuff.

What's the best mic for recording studio fire?

Some type of shotgun mic, I'd warrant.

I favor cheap omnis that you sacrifice as the fire progresses. Gives you
that close up live/death sound.

;-)

Hev

I keep reading the subject and thinking "what is the best way to record a
studio fire"

Hope they had insurance.

--
-Hev
Find Me He

S O'Neill

Hev wrote:

I keep reading the subject and thinking "what is the best way to record a
studio fire"

Me too. I keep thinking, "before the fact with a camera".
John Washburn

"Hev" wrote:
I keep reading the subject and thinking "what is the best way to record a
studio fire"

Close mic'ed with an AKG C1000.

-jw

WillStG

Hev wrote:

I keep reading the subject and thinking "what is the best way to record a
studio fire"

How about with an MS pair like a Sennheiser MKH30 and MKH40 or 50, in a
Rycote Bilmp mounted onto video tape - at a safe distance?

Will Miho
NY Music & TV Audio Guy
Off the Morning Show! & sleepin' In... / Fox News

Bobby Owsinski

In article mhTad.227099$MQ5.17339@attbi_s52,
"Benjamin Maas" wrote:

Euphonix has them listed as System 5 users... Seems like they've done some
pretty big stuff.

--Ben

I understand that they actually saved the console, which is unbelievable
considering the amount of water pouring out of the building during the
news clip.

--
Bobby Owsinski
Surround Associates
islander

On Tue, 12 Oct 2004 16:35:09 GMT, "Glenn Dowdy"
wrote:

"hank alrich" wrote in message
. ..
Benjamin Maas wrote:

Euphonix has them listed as System 5 users... Seems like they've done

some
pretty big stuff.

What's the best mic for recording studio fire?

Some type of shotgun mic, I'd warrant.

Is this in place of a gunshot Mic?

Geoff Wood

Benjamin Maas wrote:

Euphonix has them listed as System 5 users... Seems like they've done
some
pretty big stuff.

What's the best mic for recording studio fire?

Wonder if somebody had a meth lab going in the basement ...

geoff

Don Cooper

Ken MacGregor wrote:

Local LA news this morning was showing taped coverage of a major fire at
International Recording in Burbank.

I hope no part of SMiLE was done there.
Peter Larsen

hank alrich wrote:

Benjamin Maas wrote:

Euphonix has them listed as System 5 users... Seems like they've done some
pretty big stuff.

What's the best mic for recording studio fire?

B&K hydrophone?

--
ha

WillStG

Peter Larsen

hank alrich wrote:
What's the best mic for recording studio fire?

B&K hydrophone?

Maybe for a forest fire? There is a very cool Electronic Musician article
about recording a *tree* with a B&K hydrophone.

http://emusician.com/daw/emusic_going_wild/

€œEver heard a tree singing?€?

Bernie Krause said they were recording bats which are up in the 47Khz
range, and they heard a steady sound that got louder as they got near the tree.
They drilled a little hole in the tree and dropped in the hydrophone, and
turns out the tree had a song it was singing - at 70Khz! Of course in order to
really hear it they had to slow it down 7 times. The B&K hydrophone is flat
from .1 hz to 20Khz, but only 3.5db down at 100hz. Don't try recording that
gig with a Porta-dat.

Interesting also that as sound travels more than 4x faster under water, in
order to do stereo micing they placed the mics 200 feet apart. Lots of great
stuff in that article.

Will Miho
NY Music & TV Audio Guy
Off the Morning Show! & sleepin' In... / Fox News

EggHd

Talk about a "spaced pair"... g

Cheech & Chong?

Gareth Magennis

Interesting also that as sound travels more than 4x faster under
water, in
order to do stereo micing they placed the mics 200 feet apart. Lots of

great
stuff in that article.

If you go SCUBA diving you'll notice, for the same reasons, that it's
impossible to tell where any sound is coming from. Unless your ears happen
to be 200 feet apart I guess.