Mitzi

Default Post Sub install Questions.

I just had two kicker cvr comp 12", ported box, powered by the Sony P5
mono 1600w amp installed in my 2003 Volvo s60.

1. Does "Dynamat" trunk kit make a big difference?

2. My interior lights dim with the bass hits, how to correct this?
Capacitors?

3. Due to my HU shape, no one makes a kit for it. Would I gain
anything by putting in Infinity Kappa's in the doors on an amp.... Or
will I not get the benefit of the Kappa's' because they are running
off a signal from the stock HU?

Thank you greatly,

M.

If you have problems with rattling noises, dynamat will help a bit, but I
personally would get some polyfill or old pillow filling and stuff the ****
out of everything with a seam, use chopsticks or a similar instrument to jam
polyfill into seams, etc and between the trunk lid and the trunk frame if
there's space there. Also, don't buy dynamat, it's too expensive. Get Brown
Bread, it's cheaper & better, http://www.b-quiet.com

Yes, a capacitor would be the remedy for dimming interior lights.

-T

"Mitzi" wrote in message
om...
I just had two kicker cvr comp 12", ported box, powered by the Sony P5
mono 1600w amp installed in my 2003 Volvo s60.

1. Does "Dynamat" trunk kit make a big difference?

2. My interior lights dim with the bass hits, how to correct this?
Capacitors?

3. Due to my HU shape, no one makes a kit for it. Would I gain
anything by putting in Infinity Kappa's in the doors on an amp.... Or
will I not get the benefit of the Kappa's' because they are running
off a signal from the stock HU?

Thank you greatly,

M.

---

Eddie Runner

T wrote:

If you have problems with rattling noises,

Trunk Rattles
by Eddie Runner

I have posted this info on rec.audio.car several times but the same question
keeps
getting asked so I thought it should be written where I can find it easier....
http://installer.com/tech/rattles.html

fixing trunk rattles is usually quite a bit different than just sticking dynamat
on the
inside trunk lid surface.
first you have to identify what exactly is rattling.

the license plate frame is probably one of the most common culprits. Many
license
plates are only held on by 2 bolts instead of 4 and many license plates have
ADVERTISING rings around them that could add to the rattle. You can usually
put your finger on it and see if the rattling stops, if it does I put RTV
silicone
behind it and let it dry, then it wont rattle.

another common problem is air leaks passing through the trunk seal...
to isolate this problem I usually lay towels along the trunk seal and
close the trunk, if the noise stops then buy a new trunk seal, yours
is worn out.

sometimes the trunk lid surface vibrates on the trunk lid cross braces.
run a bead of silicone along the braces and in between the trunk
lid and brace if you can, let it dry and this should stop the
rattle.

Sometimes it is the car jack, or something in the trunk, wrap it
in a towel and stow it...

Once I had a customer complaining of a rattle, he brought his car in several
times and the installers could find nothing wrong. Finally he got SO ****ED
AT OUR INCOMPETENCE, that he asked me to go for a ride with him
so he could show me the rattle that my installers couldn't find....

I found it!

When the customer got into his car he hangs his sunglasses on his
rearview mirror... The sunglasses rattle like crazy! ha ha ha
Boy was he embarased! ha ha ha

Now, no amount of dynamat is gonna fix your problem if you put the
dynamat where the rattle IS NOT! ... ;-)

First identify where the rattle is, then fix it...

Dynamat will deaden a panel, it is great for the overall acoustics of the car. I

particularly like what it does to a metal door panel when you surround the
speaker mounting hole with Dynamat Super. It can make a cheap car seem
like your in a QUIET luxurious expensive car.

thelizman

Mitzi wrote:
I just had two kicker cvr comp 12", ported box, powered by the Sony P5
mono 1600w amp installed in my 2003 Volvo s60.

1. Does "Dynamat" trunk kit make a big difference?

That depends on what difference you want. I wont make your bass any
louder, clearer, or better. It may make your truck quieter, which will
allow you to enjoy your bass. For the price, though, you can buy a can
of great stuff expanding foam, some caulk, and some jute, and make your
trunk just as dead sounding for 1/10th the price.

2. My interior lights dim with the bass hits, how to correct this?
Capacitors?

A higher output alternator would be a better option. A cap will prevent
most dimming of the lights, but that's mostly treating the symptom. If
your lights are dimming, then chances are your amp is starved for
current. A cap will store current under normal load conditions and then
supply it to the cars electrical systemwhen there is a demand. It's
cheaper than a new alternator, easier and quicker to install, but
depending on the severity of dimming, not necessarily the only solution.

3. Due to my HU shape, no one makes a kit for it. Would I gain
anything by putting in Infinity Kappa's in the doors on an amp.... Or
will I not get the benefit of the Kappa's' because they are running
off a signal from the stock HU?

An amplifier will always benefit how your sound.

They do make kits for your car. Metra 99-9223 is the stock number. Talk
to any of the reputable dealers on this group, and one can order it for
you for about $30 (or less).

--
HammerAttack
http://www.teamrocs.com/forums/

Mark Zarella

****
out of everything with a seam, use chopsticks or a similar instrument to

jam
polyfill into seams, etc and between the trunk lid and the trunk frame if
there's space there.

And what happens when it sees moisture?