Nick

Default Mixer wigging out

I use a Mackie CR1604-VLZ. Recently it has started causing me problems.
It's a little hard to describe. I hear a click in the monitors, then the
only output is a loud hum even if all faders are all the way down. All the
solo lights turn on.

It usually happens soon after I turn the unit on.

When I shut it off and turn it back on, it functions properly although the
problem is getting worse (occurring more frequently).

Any ideas what might be causing this?

--
Nick D.
http://cultv.com

Phil Allison

"Nick"

I use a Mackie CR1604-VLZ. Recently it has started causing me problems.
It's a little hard to describe. I hear a click in the monitors, then the
only output is a loud hum even if all faders are all the way down. All the
solo lights turn on.

It usually happens soon after I turn the unit on.

When I shut it off and turn it back on, it functions properly although the
problem is getting worse (occurring more frequently).

Any ideas what might be causing this?

** A cracked solder joint in the PSU regulators.

Get it to a tech - quick.

............ Phil

Michael R. Kesti

Nick wrote:

I use a Mackie CR1604-VLZ. Recently it has started causing me problems.
It's a little hard to describe. I hear a click in the monitors, then the
only output is a loud hum even if all faders are all the way down. All the
solo lights turn on.

It usually happens soon after I turn the unit on.

When I shut it off and turn it back on, it functions properly although the
problem is getting worse (occurring more frequently).

Any ideas what might be causing this?

I would bet that one or more power supply voltages are intermittently
faulty, probably due to regulators or capacitors, or both, going bad.

| two, one and one make one."
| - The Who, Bargain
Scott Dorsey

Nick wrote:
I use a Mackie CR1604-VLZ. Recently it has started causing me problems.
It's a little hard to describe. I hear a click in the monitors, then the
only output is a loud hum even if all faders are all the way down. All the
solo lights turn on.

One of the power supply rails is going out.

It usually happens soon after I turn the unit on.

When I shut it off and turn it back on, it functions properly although the
problem is getting worse (occurring more frequently).

Any ideas what might be causing this?

Make it happen on the bench. If you can't, look for ribbon cable problems
and bad solder joints on the power supply board. My bet is that with the
thing disassembled on the bench, by tapping on things with a wooden stick
you can find the thing that is intermittent.