Luther Bell

Default AKG C419 miking a piano

I am miking a jazz band and I took and clipped a AKG C419 to the
"sound plate" of a 7' grand piano. The mic sounds great. It's just
the the mid range sounds a little dull. I'm not the best with EQing,
so does anyone have any suggestions for what EQ setting to set for
this mic? I'm mixing with a Mackie SR40-8. I can either use the 4
band EQ on the specific board channel, or i have a Rane ME60 that i
can run the signal through.
-Luther
**bg**

"Luther Bell" wrote in message
om...
I am miking a jazz band and I took and clipped a AKG C419 to the
"sound plate" of a 7' grand piano. The mic sounds great. It's just
the the mid range sounds a little dull. I'm not the best with EQing,
so does anyone have any suggestions for what EQ setting to set for
this mic? I'm mixing with a Mackie SR40-8. I can either use the 4
band EQ on the specific board channel, or i have a Rane ME60 that i
can run the signal through.
-Luther

______________________

Hey L

Difficult question, you need to experiment a lot. Mic, position of mic is
critical, as is room ambience.

I'd pull a bit of bottom off so that the level could be stronger, then trim
off some out about 250, then push a bit at 5-7K while monitoring loudly on
headphones. Playing it loud as part of a check is important, shows you some
of what needs doing, as it highlights the 'objectionable.'

Once you get it up hot on the meters and playback volume, tweaking is in
order.

Then at 'normal' volumes, tweak more.

At very quiet volumes it's good to be able to at least hear the lead a
touch.

I'd go for as elaborate an eq unit at hand, a bit of compression, and a
stereo signal fer starters fer shur.

Here's a bit of stuff....

EQ Basics

12K air

8-10 K Upper Mids, Edge

5-7 K Articulation Zone

1.6-4K Hurtin' Zone

500-1.6 Mids

200-450 Lower Mid, Warmth, Mud Zone, only one lives here
commonly cut a lot

200 Moo Zone

100 Pop Zone, Warmth

50 Thud Zone