Ron B

Default Appreachable difference in 96khz recording?

I'm a newbie to digital recording, but not a newbie to music or
electronics. So that being said, I'm looking for a simple DAW setup.
I'll be using a laptop to record solo guitar for the most part. I'll
either be going firewire or usb, but I digress.... In deciding on
gear, since I'll mainly be doing solo direct in guitar work I want
good quality audio. That seems fairly easy to do since at best it will
be two inputs of stereo. But since CD quality has to be 44.1khz at 16
bits, what do you experienced people hear in terms of quality when
recording at 24 bit 96khz? Since you'll have to dither that down to CD
quality do you still prefer the higher sampling? Does the dithering
process alter the sound quality? Enquiring mind wants to know.....and
thanks for the replies......

Ron B
Scott Dorsey

Ron B wrote:
I'm a newbie to digital recording, but not a newbie to music or
electronics. So that being said, I'm looking for a simple DAW setup.
I'll be using a laptop to record solo guitar for the most part. I'll
either be going firewire or usb, but I digress.... In deciding on
gear, since I'll mainly be doing solo direct in guitar work I want
good quality audio. That seems fairly easy to do since at best it will
be two inputs of stereo. But since CD quality has to be 44.1khz at 16
bits, what do you experienced people hear in terms of quality when
recording at 24 bit 96khz? Since you'll have to dither that down to CD
quality do you still prefer the higher sampling? Does the dithering
process alter the sound quality? Enquiring mind wants to know.....and
thanks for the replies......

For sampling rate, it depends entirely on the converters. Some converters
sound worse at 96 ksamp/sec than they do at 44.1 ksamp/sec. Some might
sound better. Many folks record at 88.2 ksamp/sec because it's easier to
SRC down to 44.1. That becomes a question very specific to the conversion
hardware you're running.

But the wider word length is always a good idea because it gives you more room
to be sloppy about levels.

Tony Briggs

But the wider word length is always a good idea because it gives you more

room
to be sloppy about levels.

Craig Anderton would agree....
Watch these videos on this page:
http://www.emplive.com/create/home_recording/index.asp

Arny Krueger

"Tony Briggs" wrote in message
But the wider word length is always a good idea because it gives you
more room to be sloppy about levels.

Craig Anderton would agree....

Watch these videos on this page:
http://www.emplive.com/create/home_recording/index.asp

Just to pick a nit, he makes a factual mistake when he specifically says
that *all* "24 bit" converters have at least 16 bit resolution. They don't,
a leading example being the popular M-Audio AP2496.

If you check

http://audio.rightmark.org/rus/test/...hile-2496.html

you'll see that the unweighted dynamic range in 24/96 mode is less than 95
dB.

This is just one example of many 24/96 converters with less than 96 dB
unweighted dynamic range.

Codifus

Arny Krueger wrote:

"Tony Briggs" wrote in message

But the wider word length is always a good idea because it gives you
more room to be sloppy about levels.

Craig Anderton would agree....

Watch these videos on this page:
http://www.emplive.com/create/home_recording/index.asp

Just to pick a nit, he makes a factual mistake when he specifically says
that *all* "24 bit" converters have at least 16 bit resolution. They don't,
a leading example being the popular M-Audio AP2496.

If you check

http://audio.rightmark.org/rus/test/...hile-2496.html

you'll see that the unweighted dynamic range in 24/96 mode is less than 95
dB.

This is just one example of many 24/96 converters with less than 96 dB
unweighted dynamic range.

Just get and Echo MIA It's 24/96 converters ROCK.

http://audio.rightmark.org/test/echo-mia.html

CD

Ron B

(Scott Dorsey) wrote in message ...
Ron B wrote:
[...]

Thanks Scott.
So I guess the next logical question is one of recommendation. is an
MBox at 48khz tops better than a M-Audio Quattro at 96 khz (both at 24
bits). Anyone with experience with these? I would ask about the
Stienberg System|4 but the posts on that say the drivers and firmware
are really screwed up, to bad since it comes with Cubase. I also like
the OmniStudio (usb) but in most cases would need to buy the software
seperately ($$).

Ron

EggHd

So I guess the next logical question is one of recommendation. is an
MBox at 48khz tops better than a M-Audio Quattro at 96 khz (both at 24
bits).

At doing what?

---------------------------------------

Lorin David Schultz

"Ron B" wrote in message
m...

be two inputs of stereo. But since CD quality has to be 44.1khz at 16
bits, what do you experienced people hear in terms of quality when
recording at 24 bit 96khz? Since you'll have to dither that down to CD
quality do you still prefer the higher sampling? Does the dithering
process alter the sound quality?

While I applaud *any* step towards better sound, my practical experience
has been that there is very little benefit to higher sampling rates. So
little, in fact, that I decided it wasn't worth the extra processing
overhead and storage requirements. I've gone back to recording at 44.1
for CD-destined material and 48K for video stuff.

On the other hand, I found a genuine, appreciable improvement going to
24 bit from 16. I can keep levels more sensible while tracking without
a graininess penalty. Mostly, though, I noticed a significant
improvement on sessions with a lot of processing going on. Maybe the
longer digital word keeps the calculations more accurate so the result
sounds better?

I dither down to 16 bits as the very last step, and have found the
result sounds better than if I used a 16 bit session throughout.

- Lorin David Schultz
in the control room
making even bad news sound good

(Remove spamblock to reply)

Kurt Albershardt

Definitely. Lots and lots of preaching.

Kurt Albershardt

Definitely. Lots and lots of preaching.

TonyP

http://audio.rightmark.org/rus/test/...iophile-2496.h
tml
you'll see that the unweighted dynamic range in 24/96 mode is less than 95
dB.
This is just one example of many 24/96 converters with less than 96 dB
unweighted dynamic range.

Which is what I've been saying for years when people claim 24 bit gives much
more room for sloppy level setting.
In the case of the AP2496 there is no real extra headroom only wasted bits.
In the case of *MANY* 24 bit cards there is a gain of 1 bit extra
resolution, 2 if you're lucky, and 3 only in the case of the very best cards
available. However 95dB unweighted is quite adequate for tracking, and
better than any analog recorder anyway.

TonyP.

"Appreachable" is a good word for this group too, with SO many people
preaching their twisted versions of the audio gospel :-)

TonyP

"Lorin David Schultz" wrote in message
On the other hand, I found a genuine, appreciable improvement going to
24 bit from 16. I can keep levels more sensible while tracking without
a graininess penalty. Mostly, though, I noticed a significant
improvement on sessions with a lot of processing going on.
Maybe the longer digital word keeps the calculations more accurate so
the result sounds better?

Or maybe not in the case of most modern DAW software which processes at 32
bit or even 64 bit!
Just be carefull to save any intermediate files at 32 bit, not 16 bit.
Problem solved.

I dither down to 16 bits as the very last step, and have found the
result sounds better than if I used a 16 bit session throughout.

Of course, but have you tried recording at 16/44 and processing at 32/44 or
64/44?
Or done a double blind listening test of a file recorded at 16/44 and one at
24/44 with the same card?
Of course hard drive space is so cheap these days, it's really a non issue
for most people now. Saving heaps of wasted bits doesn't cost you too much
as long as the hardware can handle the overhead.

TonyP.

Scott Dorsey

TonyP wrote:

Which is what I've been saying for years when people claim 24 bit gives much
more room for sloppy level setting.
In the case of the AP2496 there is no real extra headroom only wasted bits.
In the case of *MANY* 24 bit cards there is a gain of 1 bit extra
resolution, 2 if you're lucky, and 3 only in the case of the very best cards
available. However 95dB unweighted is quite adequate for tracking, and
better than any analog recorder anyway.

This is not an argument against 24-bit converters. This is an argument
against calling many of those devices 24-bit unless they actually have
24 bits of real data coming out.

Many of the devices advertised out there as 24-bit, though, have twenty or
so actual significant bits, and that's not shabby. They should be called
twenty-bit converters. I know my Prism 20-bit box has at least 19 real
valid bits and only one doubtful one, which I figure is pretty good. The
Lavry stuff is at least in the same league. Some of the 20-bit soundcards
don't even have 16 valid bits.

Ty Ford

On Sat, 2 Oct 2004 08:20:35 -0400, Scott Dorsey wrote
(in article ):

TonyP wrote:

[...]

And at least as important, how do they actually sound?

Regards,

Ty Ford

stuff are at www.tyford.com

Scott Dorsey

Ty Ford wrote:
And at least as important, how do they actually sound?

I will make a bet that there is a direct corellation between monotonicity
specs and the actual sound. It would be a fun thing to test, too.

It's interesting, though, that some of the chips that have nice monotonicity
specs actually measure pretty poorly when you throw a cheap op-amp front end
on them. It's not the converter proper that has the linearity problem.

It is lots of fun to look at the noise floor on typical converters, though.
The Prism is pretty flat and even, but some of them have big spikes here
and there.

locosoundman

I hear a definite difference in clarity in the high end when I go from
44.1 to 48kHz. It is subtle but there. I do 48kHz at 24 bit and then
at the end use the Waves L2 on the bounce before going to CD, but with
a flat noise shaping curve, which also seems to lend clarity to the
high end when compared to a shaped curve. There is a quantifiable
reason for that having to do with convertor design/philosophy which is
too deep for this thread.

I have never recorded at the higher rates (at present in the interest
of disk space conservation - I never had a DAT machine that would do
96k). However, my opinion is that all of the calculations made in
processing (plug-ins and such) will end up being more accurate if you
are using a higher sample rate and bit depth than your end target,
which will resort in less distortion of your final product than errors
made in calculation going from 48kHz back down to 44.1.

As mentioned before though, I think the quality of the convertor makes
a bigger difference than the nominal sample rate and bit depth. An
Apogee Rosetta 200 at 44.1/16 bit will no doubt sound "better" than an
M-Audio interface at 96/24.

All of this is from my unscientific $.02 which is probably more than
it's worth anyway :-)

Scott Dorsey

locosoundman wrote:
I hear a definite difference in clarity in the high end when I go from
44.1 to 48kHz. It is subtle but there. I do 48kHz at 24 bit and then
at the end use the Waves L2 on the bounce before going to CD, but with
a flat noise shaping curve, which also seems to lend clarity to the
high end when compared to a shaped curve. There is a quantifiable
reason for that having to do with convertor design/philosophy which is
too deep for this thread.

This is sign that you have some kind of converter issue going on, or else
the clarity improvement actually has to do with the noise shaping (which
is very common).

What sort of converters are you using?

I have never recorded at the higher rates (at present in the interest
of disk space conservation - I never had a DAT machine that would do
96k). However, my opinion is that all of the calculations made in
processing (plug-ins and such) will end up being more accurate if you
are using a higher sample rate and bit depth than your end target,
which will resort in less distortion of your final product than errors
made in calculation going from 48kHz back down to 44.1.

There are some things, like noise reduction for 78s, that benefit a lot
from ultrasonic response, even if ultrasonics are inaudible. That alone
makes high sampling rates a useful thing to have around in the studio.
I'm not convinced it's something I'd want to use all the time yet, though.
But then, I'm still using the Ampex half the time.

Scott Dorsey

Carey Carlan wrote:
You've lost me again, Scott. I know mathematically what monotonicity
means, but what are you correlating in the converter? Analog to digital?
That's a pretty tough test to measure.

Right. It's very difficult to measure, which is part of the problem. The
data sheet numbers are often derived from models rather than actually measured,
too.

Lorin David Schultz

"TonyP" wrote

Of course, but have you tried recording at 16/44 and processing at

32/44 or
64/44?

I don't know if I have or not. What's Pro Tools' internal processing
depth?

Or done a double blind listening test of a file recorded at 16/44 and

one at
24/44 with the same card?

Yeah, and there's not enough difference to care about if that's all I
was gonna do with it. The benefit of the longer word really only became
apparent to me on sessions with a fair amount of processing going on.
"Lots of processing" includes things like mixing a lot of tracks, making
any fairly healthy level changes, and/or applying plugs.

Of course hard drive space is so cheap these days, it's really a non

issue
for most people now. Saving heaps of wasted bits doesn't cost you too

much
as long as the hardware can handle the overhead.

I suppose, within reason. At some point the benefits become so small
that practical realities like backup space/cost, processing time (when
the client is paying by the hour) and plug-in limits become a higher
priority than absolute limits of audiophility.