gary

Default how much RAM is enough?

So I understand that the more RAM the better but how much is enough
considering the following context:

I have a G4 (AGP graphics) with 512 MB RAM, running DP2.7, using an
Echo Gina 24.

I curious about my RAM needs because I get a lot of different
information regarding it and the problems that occur when you don't
have enough. Case in point: My DP sessions often quit with type 2 or 3
errors. I have been told a number of reasons for this; it's because I
am using the same computer to go on line and there are extention
conflicts, the Gina is an ASIO card and they are sketchy with DP, that
I don't have enough memory.

So how much is enough? DP warns that 128MB is necessary and I have 4
times that. I run on a bare extention set, don't use a lot of effects,
don't use POLAR, don't work on projects over a few minutes with more
than a dozen mono tracks, don't run other programs like REASON with
DP (anymore). The memory meter shows plenty to spare and I have the
buffers set up for efficient not fast play and recording.

I'm thinking of upgrading to a G5, DP4.0, and an 828. So my memory
question is all the more pressing.

Any advice or just plain RAM talk is appreciated. Also, what's the
wisdom on my upgrade plans?

Thanks,

gary

(I think I screwed up my last post so my apologies if this posts
twice.)

Terms and Conditions - Posting Style Guide - Posting FAQ