they call me frenchy!

Default Rudy Van Gelder leaves his microphones out all the time question...

Hello, there was some recent discussion around here about the Rudy Van
Gelder interview in TapeOp. I read that article yesterday. I noticed
a picture intermingled with the article where all of his microphone
stands were grouped in a corner with all the mics still on them and
the mic cables wound up and draped on the stand. (They were all pretty
beefy stands on wheels and didnt look like they tipped easily).

I, being a selftaught recordist that never worked at another studio,
always put my mics away for fear of dust, being knocked, etc....but
then set-up is always much longer. Do all of you put your mics away
each time or leave them out, wired and ready to go ala Rudy Van
Gelder?

This guy has been recording since the 50s or so, so I can only imagine
how much dust is on his mics. Maybe thats his unknown secret.

thx,
frenchy
zz zzzz

Is old Rudy a rich man? That might explain it.

In article , they call me
frenchy! wrote:

[...]

http://www.usenet.com

hank alrich

they call me frenchy! wrote:

I, being a selftaught recordist that never worked at another studio,
always put my mics away for fear of dust, being knocked, etc....but
then set-up is always much longer. Do all of you put your mics away
each time or leave them out, wired and ready to go ala Rudy Van
Gelder?

Lots of professional facilities are equipped with HVAC that effectively
filters most of the grit out of the air. In my case, I leave them out if
they're going to be used shortly, leave them out and covered with Crown
Royal bags (that I get from a local saloon) if they'll be needed fairly
soon but ought to be covered, and put them away if the stands will be in
the way fairly shortly.

This guy has been recording since the 50s or so, so I can only imagine
how much dust is on his mics. Maybe thats his unknown secret.

LOL!

--
ha

hank alrich

they call me frenchy! wrote:

Its nice to make you laugh.

Thank you; I am grateful for good medicine that is also free.

You definitely made me laugh back in Feb
2002 with "When I finish chuckling I shall be asleep." That was a
good one. Thx for your input. I actually have a sizeable collection
of crown royal bags and have actually wondered if covering my
condensers that way would be worse due to the dust/lint inside the
bags. I need a shot, I'm too uptight I think.

Turn the bags inside out and launder them. You won't have lint problems
unless you stuff them under your shirt. They work well enough if the
airborne dust burden isn't out of hand. If ti is, then mics shouldn't be
out, maybe even to be used. g

--
ha

ScotFraser

leave them out and covered with Crown
Royal bags (that I get from a local saloon) BRBR

Oh I see, from a local saloon, a likely story.

Scott Fraser

Bob Olhsson

"they call me frenchy!" wrote in
message ...

Do all of you put your mics away
each time or leave them out, wired and ready to go ala Rudy Van
Gelder?

Many studios did this in the mid '60s. Some even left them all in place on
studio-owned instruments. Most mikes came with a dust cover for when you
weren't using it. Remember that almost all music sessions at the time
involved ensembles that used 6 to 12 mikes rather than the two or three used
in overdub sessions today. Most sessions also involved well paid union
musicians who wouldn't be very likely to rip studios off.

--
Bob Olhsson Audio Mastery, Nashville TN
615.385.8051 http://www.hyperback.com

Tommy B

Not because they were well paid studio musicians, but because they had a
date there the next day. ;-)
I hate to say this but I also think the air was a lot cleaner 30-40 years
ago and back then, most studios were built to last, no real home studios,
except for Les Paul and a few other folks. If you were a busy studio, you
didn't have time, everything was left miked, drums, piano, amps, only the
vocal mikes were moved out of the away.

Tom

"Bob Olhsson" wrote in message
"they call me frenchy!" wrote in
message ...

Do all of you put your mics away
each time or leave them out, wired and ready to go ala Rudy Van
Gelder?

Many studios did this in the mid '60s. Some even left them all in place on
studio-owned instruments. Most mikes came with a dust cover for when you
weren't using it. Remember that almost all music sessions at the time
involved ensembles that used 6 to 12 mikes rather than the two or three

used
in overdub sessions today. Most sessions also involved well paid union
musicians who wouldn't be very likely to rip studios off.

--
Bob Olhsson Audio Mastery, Nashville TN
615.385.8051 http://www.hyperback.com

John Washburn

"they call me frenchy!" wrote:
Hello, there was some recent discussion around here about the Rudy Van
Gelder interview in TapeOp. I read that article yesterday. I noticed
a picture intermingled with the article where all of his microphone
stands were grouped in a corner with all the mics still on them and
the mic cables wound up and draped on the stand. (They were all pretty
beefy stands on wheels and didnt look like they tipped easily).

I, being a selftaught recordist that never worked at another studio,
always put my mics away for fear of dust, being knocked, etc....but
then set-up is always much longer. Do all of you put your mics away
each time or leave them out, wired and ready to go ala Rudy Van
Gelder?

This guy has been recording since the 50s or so, so I can only imagine
how much dust is on his mics. Maybe thats his unknown secret.

I'm sure he covers them when not in use. He might also have them cleaned
from time to time.

Since he's the only engineer who uses the studio (except perhaps/hopefully
for his assistant during off hours) it probably doesn't matter where he
stores them. He could put them in a closet, or he could just leave them out
for the next session.

Sorceror in NY used to leave their 47's and 48's on stands in the live room
upstairs. I'm sure that had to have brought in business.

-jw

Chris!

I hate to say this but I also think the air was a lot cleaner 30-40 years
ago and back then,

True, but everybody smoked 30 or 40 years ago.

Back in the day, one studio I worked in sent a U47 to Gotham to be cleaned
because you could actually SEE the tar build up on the diaphram.

--
Chris White, Freelance Advertising Writer & Voice Overs*
Email: Web: www.chriswhite.com

Don Cooper

Eric Toline wrote:

As did Gotham Recording in NY during the 60's. With over 40 Neumann
mics with power supplys spread out over 4 studios that were used every
day it was easier to just leave them on their stands.

We did at United, too. We only had about five rooms by the time I got
there, but there were Neumanns set up in each room.

Shawn

Rudy has little covers that he puts over the mics before and after
recording. He wears white anti-static gloves when he sets up in his
room. His room is very nice sounding and was built to his spec as I'm
sure you know. His drum booth is pretty basic and so are his micing
techniques. He uses the usual mics mostly Neumann and sometimes
manufacturers give him mics to try out. Last time I was there he had a
couple of Sony mics that he was trying out. I can't impress upon
people enough that the room, which is quite large with very high
ceilings accounts for his beautiful sound. He knows where to place
people in the room to achieve what he wants. It is true as I have
witnessed on occassions that if you touch, wink, or move a mic you
will regret it.

Chris

Ricky W. Hunt

"Shawn" wrote in message
om...
Rudy has little covers that he puts over the mics before and after
recording. He wears white anti-static gloves when he sets up in his
room.

Ah, must be the gloves. What's the best white anti-static gloves for under
$2.50?

Don Cooper

I finally had a chance to read the interview. They really captured his essence.

Tape-Op remains my favorite, much like RE/P was 20 - 25 years ago.

Don Cooper

I finally had a chance to read the interview. They really captured his essence.

Tape-Op remains my favorite, much like RE/P was 20 - 25 years ago.
Scott Dorsey

Don Cooper wrote:
I finally had a chance to read the interview. They really captured his essence.

They didn't really talk very much about philosophy at all. They talked a
little bit about what he did, but they didn't really talk very much about
why he did things. Not in any detail, anyway. I think that's kind of a
shame, but even so it was one of the better interviews I have seen with him.

Tape-Op remains my favorite, much like RE/P was 20 - 25 years ago.

Tape-Op is one of the most fun magazines around today, but it's still a
pale shadow of R/E/P.

Jay Kadis

Don Cooper wrote:

I finally had a chance to read the interview. They really captured his
essence.

Tape-Op remains my favorite, much like RE/P was 20 - 25 years ago.

I recently acquired several years ('87-'92) of RE/P. Tape Op is not in the same
league as RE/P from a technical standpoint, although it is probably the best of
the current publications.

-Jay

Don Cooper

Mike Rivers wrote:

I finally had a chance to read the interview.

I haven't, but that issue of Tape Op just arrived yesterday. Should
have read the Van Gelder article instead of listening to the VP
debate. Ho, hum.

Maybe they distribute them regionally, because mine just arrived this
week, too.
Don Cooper

Jay Kadis wrote:

I recently acquired several years ('87-'92) of RE/P. Tape Op is not in the same
league as RE/P from a technical standpoint, although it is probably the best of
the current publications.

I still have all the issues of RE/P. The early ones are especially fun.
They take up a bit of space, but I like having them.

I also have all the Mix magazines. I'm thinking of getting rid of EQ and
some others.
Jay Kadis

Don Cooper wrote:

Jay Kadis wrote:

I recently acquired several years ('87-'92) of RE/P. Tape Op is not in the
same
league as RE/P from a technical standpoint, although it is probably the
best of
the current publications.

I still have all the issues of RE/P. The early ones are especially fun.
They take up a bit of space, but I like having them.

I also have all the Mix magazines. I'm thinking of getting rid of EQ and
some others.

I finally dumped the old Modern Recordings when we moved last. The ads were
fun, but I couldn't stand the haircuts anymore. Speaking of ads, did you see
the Tascam ad in the MIX TEC supplement? For a second I thought they re-issued
the 3440!

-Jay
Don Cooper

Jay Kadis wrote:

I finally dumped the old Modern Recordings when we moved last. The ads were
fun, but I couldn't stand the haircuts anymore.

I plead guilty to keeping those, too. They started in 1975, and ended
some time in the '80's, I think.

Speaking of ads, did you see
the Tascam ad in the MIX TEC supplement? For a second I thought they re-issued
the 3440!

I saw that. I thought it was funny that they had to say "Old!" next to
the 4 track. It probably cut down on people asking for the "warm,
vintage" equipment.

It is pretty amazing to consider the prices of the 4 track vs. the 24
track, and what one can get now for the dollar.
Don Cooper

"they call me frenchy!" wrote:

I noticed
a picture intermingled with the article where all of his microphone
stands were grouped in a corner with all the mics still on them and
the mic cables wound up and draped on the stand.

I also noticed one of those "plant lights" in the picture.

Hmmmmm....