Mark GEE33

Default Hello, and help GM install. Anyone?....

Just wanted to formally say hi (new poster) and repost my question
from yesterday. Any help is greatly appreciated.

I've done a few of my own HU and amp installs in the past, but some of
these GM head unit warnings mentioned on the board raised some
concerns.

Simple question: 2003 Chevy Silverado LS, With 3-in-1 (Tape, CD,
Stereo). Is the HU replacement a "basic" install, or do I have to
disable the airbag... as some posts warn?

Basically, if it's a simple wire harness and install the amp job, then
I'll do it myself. Anything more and I'll probably have a shop install
the HU and do the amp myself.

TIA for any advice,
Mark Gluba - Corona, CA
David

No worries... Just use the dash kit, wiring harness, and antenna adapter.

The radio install has nothing to do with the airbags!

David
UnderTheDash.com

"Mark GEE33" wrote in message
om...
Just wanted to formally say hi (new poster) and repost my question
from yesterday. Any help is greatly appreciated.

I've done a few of my own HU and amp installs in the past, but some of
these GM head unit warnings mentioned on the board raised some
concerns.

Simple question: 2003 Chevy Silverado LS, With 3-in-1 (Tape, CD,
Stereo). Is the HU replacement a "basic" install, or do I have to
disable the airbag... as some posts warn?

Basically, if it's a simple wire harness and install the amp job, then
I'll do it myself. Anything more and I'll probably have a shop install
the HU and do the amp myself.

TIA for any advice,
Mark Gluba - Corona, CA

ReEfErMaDnEsS

does your radio have "RDS" anywhere on it?...if it does there is some issues
about air bags and oil lights and such...but they do make adaptors to handle
this issue....I would consult crutchfield for the truth...or a local
shop...if it has RDS you do have an extra issue to worry about...but nothing
more than an extra adaptor from what I was told about my install....2k1
impala

"Mark GEE33" wrote in message
om...
Just wanted to formally say hi (new poster) and repost my question
from yesterday. Any help is greatly appreciated.

I've done a few of my own HU and amp installs in the past, but some of
these GM head unit warnings mentioned on the board raised some
concerns.

Simple question: 2003 Chevy Silverado LS, With 3-in-1 (Tape, CD,
Stereo). Is the HU replacement a "basic" install, or do I have to
disable the airbag... as some posts warn?

Basically, if it's a simple wire harness and install the amp job, then
I'll do it myself. Anything more and I'll probably have a shop install
the HU and do the amp myself.

TIA for any advice,
Mark Gluba - Corona, CA

Mark GEE33

"ReEfErMaDnEsS" wrote in message news:uEsUb.223615$I06.2439413@attbi_s01...
does your radio have "RDS" anywhere on it?...if it does there is some issues
about air bags and oil lights and such...but they do make adaptors to handle
this issue....I would consult crutchfield for the truth...or a local
shop...if it has RDS you do have an extra issue to worry about...but nothing
more than an extra adaptor from what I was told about my install....2k1
impala

YES, it does have RDS. If it's just another adapter though, that's
OK. I just didn't want to have to start disabling things. So if any
local shop should have these adapters, I'll do it myself.

Mark

Simple question: 2003 Chevy Silverado LS, With 3-in-1 (Tape, CD,
Stereo). Is the HU replacement a "basic" install, or do I have to
disable the airbag... as some posts warn?

Basically, if it's a simple wire harness and install the amp job, then
I'll do it myself. Anything more and I'll probably have a shop install
the HU and do the amp myself.

TIA for any advice,
Mark Gluba - Corona, CA

Mark GEE33

Default GM install

Thanks for the help. Everything sounds tight!!! Only problem is... no
more door chime (is this really a "problem though"?) It's kind of nice
not dealing with the noise.

I put in a, KDC-X579, (2) PG Tantrum 10" DVC, and a Tantrum 300.2 AMP,
and some kicker 4 X 6's in the back doors. Much louder than it needs
to be for such a small cab.

Thanks to those who replied.

[...]

Eddie Runner

it has nothing to do with RDS (radio data system)

it does have to do with GMs class 2 data buss radio
that has the chimes built in it....

ReEfErMaDnEsS wrote:

I think that's from removing the RDS system...I think it controls you oil
change lights and such...

"Mark GEE33" wrote in message
om...
[...]

Mark GEE33

Eddie Runner wrote in message ...
it has nothing to do with RDS (radio data system)

it does have to do with GMs class 2 data buss radio
that has the chimes built in it....

So, are the missing door chimes going to be my only "problem" or is
there something else I need to woory about or know? Everything but
the chimes seems to be working fine.

Also, the guy at the shop said they sell an adapter to put the door
chime back in for about $80. Isn't this a little too much? I
probably won't do it, but just wanted to know. If it can be done
cheaply, I may put the chime back in.

Mark