Will_Skillz

Default Does 2 sealed = 1 vented?

Hey peoplez,

Gotta question.

Will 2 subs in optimum sealed enclosures with rated power be equal to 1
sub in an optimum vented enclosure with rated power?

I've heard different answers to this question here and there, but "I"
need to know for sure.

Here is my situation. I have quite a few subs, but I'm using an Eclipse
sw9152 right now in a vented box made for one of my Crystal CMPx2 15"
subs. The box is perfect for my Crystal sub, but my Eclipse barely
moves in it. I also have 2 sealed enclosures that just happen to be
optimum for 2 sw9152's, according to the Eclipse tech.

Now, to get a custom vented box made from a guy on this forum is the
exact same cost for me to buy another Eclipse sw9152. So...should I get
a matching sub and have 2 of them sealed, or should I get the vented
box made and just have one?

If it helps any, I have a Phoenix Gold Tantrum 1200.1 for my power.
1429wrms @14.17v into a 2 or 4ohm load.

Feedback is appreciated

--
Will_Skillz

Soundfreak03

Now, to get a custom vented box made from a guy on this forum is the
exact same cost for me to buy another Eclipse sw9152. So...should I get
a matching sub and have 2 of them sealed, or should I get the vented
box made and just have one?

If the sealed enclosures are optimum for those subs then I would get another
sub. If you are looking for more bass then that is the route to go.

Les
ReEfErMaDnEsS

how much bass does one need??? that thing must freaking pound....tried the
single eclipse in the sealed box yet? might be enough for you

"Will_Skillz" wrote in message

[...]

Will_Skillz's Profile:

http://www.realcaraudio.com/forums/m...fo&userid=1186
View this thread:

http://www.realcaraudio.com/forums/s...threadid=45604

Will_Skillz

Hey,

Thanx alot bruh.

--
Will_Skillz

Will_Skillz

Have I heard one sealed?

Yes and No

I've heard one sealed, but it was only moving about an inch. I've never
heard one while it's moving 3 inches.

My Tantrum 1200.1 is stable to 2ohms, and each sub has dual 3.1ohm
voice coils. So as you can see, when I did have it sealed I could only
power it in series, not in parallel due to the impedance load. And at
6ohms only the low notes were worth listening to, because the speaker
didn't even move unless I played low low notes, and then barely.

Actually I am running the coils in parallel at this moment, but in that
undersized Crystal vented box. I don't want to have it like that for
long. It still barely moves 3/4". With 2 sealed in series my amp will
get a 3ohm load, which is acceptable.

--
Will_Skillz

Will_Skillz

Also

My sealed boxes are supposedly 2.4 cu.ft. internally, and the sub take
up .3 cu.ft., which gives them 2.1 cu.ft

And optimum is actually, according to the tech, 2.2 cu.ft., so ther
not exactly optimum. So I was thinking of adding some polyfil. When yo
add polyfil, how much bigger does the enclosure seem to the sub? 10%
20%

-
Will_Skill

Paul Vina

the .1 cf difference won't make even a little difference. don't worry about
it.

Paul Vina

"Will_Skillz" wrote in message

Also,

My sealed boxes are supposedly 2.4 cu.ft. internally, and the sub takes
up .3 cu.ft., which gives them 2.1 cu.ft.

And optimum is actually, according to the tech, 2.2 cu.ft., so there
not exactly optimum. So I was thinking of adding some polyfil. When you