Patrick

Default basic 4 speakers setup

Hello,

I'm trying to improve a little bit the sound in my van, but I would
like to avoid the use of external amp (for battery saving, as the
headunit is used a lot while parked). Currently I only have 2 JBL 4"
dash speaker driven by the headunit (jvc sh99). The sound is
acceptable to me in the cabin, as I usually do not listen very loud,
although lacking bass. My main problem is that the sound does not fill
the rear (only 2 small dash speaker firing upward). So I would like to
put two other speakers in the back doors to help filling the rear.

My main concern is: does the internal amp will be powerful enough to
drive two additional speakers without too much distortion, and without
overheating. What is the experience of the people in the group about
using internal amp with four speakers (assuming I do not push the
volume much high) ? Driving the front with a separate 2 channel amp
would be better of course, but the second battery already has to power
light, the parking heater, the headunit, a compressor driven fridge,
my notebook, the cell phone charger and I think that an amp would put
too much load on it!

Thanks for your advices.

amsjsj

So theres only 4 speakers in your car right? the two up front have been
replaced with JBl's right? What size are the rear speakers? You need an amp
unless your looking for extreme clarity. If you get some good speakers and a
good headunit, it will sound great, use your headunit to adjust them to what
you like.
"Patrick" wrote in message
[...]

Patrick

"amsjsj" wrote in message news:lOxSb.12291$fZ6.11437@lakeread06...

So theres only 4 speakers in your car right? the two up front have been

Currently, I only have two speakers (the front). These are 4" coaxial
JBL (GTO 425). They are sounding Ok at moderate volume, which is
acceptable to me.

replaced with JBl's right? What size are the rear speakers?

The factory speakers were 2 pioneers, that I replaced with the JBl
(better mid range in my hearing). Currently I do not have any rear
speakers. The back doors (I mean, the hatch as it is a van) can accept
5.25" or even 6" speakers. I would probably go for 5.25", as I don't
want to push the sound image in the back and the rear speaker will
only be used to help filling the rear, so I will setup the balance
with 70% of the power to the front and 30% to the rear. I also think
that 5.25" would help having a bit more bass. I'm afraid that 6" would
be too big to be driven correctly by the internal amp, so 5.25" seems
a good trade off to me.

You need an amp
unless your looking for extreme clarity. If you get some good speakers and a
good headunit, it will sound great, use your headunit to adjust them to what
you like.

The headunit sounds quite good in the current setup. I'm just
wondering whether two additional speakers would not be "too much" for
the small internal amp, and sound worse instead of sounding better!

Thanks!

Paul