Tony Fernandes

Default Sony CDX-C90 Aux Input Question

This unit accepts a BUS input from a mini disc changer, which I don't have.
It also has RCA inputs labled BUS aux input. I've got my car torn apart
right now reconfiguring my system as well as adding XM radio. I would
prefer to hook the XM tuner up to the head's RCA inputs (as opposed to FM
modulated), but I'm not sure if RCAs are for the audio-only portion of the
mini disc, or if they can be used independently. Unfortunately, I can't
turn the car on to test this theory because the front seats, which have
removed from the car for the time being, have side-impact air bags and
turning the car on will give the ECU an error reading that Nissan will have
to reset for me (for a charge, of course).

It would save me quite a bit of time if someone knew the answer. The
owner's manual doesn't specifically cover this.

Thanks,

Tony

--

What's more likely? That an all-powerful mysterious god created the
universe and then decided not to give any proof of his existence? Or, that

Paul Vina

You need a Sony AUX input adapter. The bus in cables are for Sony changers
but only become active when you complete the bus loop by connecting the
Uni-Link cable.

Paul Vina

"Tony Fernandes" wrote in message
[...]

Tony Fernandes

Can I hook up a uni-link cable to the BUS input just for the purposes of
activating the RCA aux inputs? I believe I have one of those cables laying
around. Or am I totally off base here?

Tony

--

"Paul Vina" wrote in message
[...]

Tony Fernandes

"Can I hook up a uni-link cable to the BUS input just for the purposes of
activating the RCA aux inputs?"

No, I can't. I just tried that.

Tony

--

"Paul Vina" wrote in message
[...]

Paul Vina

Just make sure you ordered the correct part. They have two that look
similar, but one is an AUX inout adapter and the other is a multi-changer
adapter. www.xplodsony.com and click on accessories.

"Paul Vina" wrote in message
[...]

Tony Fernandes

Paul,

I searched a variety of places (spent way too long doing so), including the
Sony website, and couldn't find exactly what I wanted. The only Sony
product I could find that came close was a $99 unit that allows you to
connect a CD changer AND two other RCA input devices...one even had a
mini-jack headphone output. Plus it had a computer USB input. But it was
more than I wanted to spend.

I ended up ordering a JVC auxiliary input adapter. The plug looked
IDENTICAL to the Sony bus input. I hope it works. Here's the link:

http://www.crutchfield.com/cgi-bin/S... &cc=01&avf=N

Tony

--

"Paul Vina" wrote in message
[...]

Paul Vina

You're going to have to send it back, Tony. The plug may be the same but
the way they are used is different. The Uni-Link cable has a control line
in it that tells the C90 to turn on the AUX inputs. You're going to have to
pony up for the XA-300 or go without.

"Paul Vina" wrote in message
[...]

Tony Fernandes

Well, the guy at Crutchfield said if it didn't work I could send it back at
their expense.

I really don't want to spend $100, but the XM radio sounds like total ****
through the FM modulator. I mean worse than I ever expected. Can't even
listen to it...

Tony

--

"Paul Vina" wrote in message
[...]

Paul Vina

I'm not surprised considering how weak Sony tuners are in general. I'd
spend the extra $100. It souds high now, but just wait until you get it in.
Why dont youuse the Sony XM module? It connects through the Uni-Link cable
like the AUX input adapter, but you control it from the radio.

"Paul Vina" wrote in message
[...]

Tony Fernandes

Why dont youuse the Sony XM module? It connects through the Uni-Link cable
like the AUX input adapter, but you control it from the radio.

You know...I thought I researched the hell out of XM radio and chose the
best one I could find. You mean to tell me that Sony makes such a device?
WFT!!!! :-)

I'll look into this. Thanks man!

Tony

--

****

"Paul Vina" wrote in message
[...]

Tony Fernandes

Why dont youuse the Sony XM module? It connects through the Uni-Link cable
like the AUX input adapter, but you control it from the radio.

Oh...I remember now. I looked at this item. My understanding was you
needed an XM compatible receiver. My C-90 is pretty old...they didn't even
have XM back then. I think the module only works with certain receivers
made after 2000.

Tony

--

"Paul Vina" wrote in message
[...]

Tony Fernandes

Alright, Paul. I just got off the phone with a tech rep at Sony and he said
the XM controller WILL work with the C-90. He didn't sound very convincing,
but he double checked whatever reference he was looking at.

I looked at the module's specs and saw that my receiver's display probably
won't show everything that a stand-alone XM unit with its own dispay will
show, but it gives me yet another option.

And yes...I agree...my receiver's tuner SUCKS.

I'm pleasantly happy!

Tony

--

"Paul Vina" wrote in message
[...]

Paul Vina

Tony, that was the whole purpose behind Uni-Link. ANY Uni-Link HU will
control ANY Uni-Link add-on piece. You are correct that you may not get
some of the display options, but as long as it works and sounds better than
FM, what the heck.