ReadThis

Default The Final Word on Audio Cables

Found this very interesting article and discussion on audio cables at ecoustics.com.
http://www.ecoustics.com/bbs/messages/5/6528.html

Arny Krueger

"ReadThis" wrote in message
news:uPoxb.15794$Ac3.11758@lakeread01
Found this very interesting article and discussion on audio cables at
ecoustics.com. http://www.ecoustics.com/bbs/messages/5/6528.html

What I found interesting is the fact that this article references this
article:

http://www.audioholics.com/techtips/...cts/Audio-Cabl
e-Vendor.html

Which says this:

Top Ten Signs an Audio Cable Vendor is Selling You Snake Oil
By: Gene DellaSala Date: 10/08/03 Updated with Audioquest Response:
10/19/03 Watch out if a.

(1) Cable vendor promotes that their product allegedly eliminates audio
related Skin Effect and "Strand Jumping" problems.

Which references this article:

http://www.audioholics.com/techtips/...cts/CableInduc
tance.html

Which says this:

:As frequency increases, skin effect causes the internal inductance to
become negligible, since the current is forced to the surface of the
conductors."

Jim H

more from the 'John Carrier school' of uk.rec.audio-ism:

My favorite "upgrade" is the exotic power cable. Run the power to the
plug via 100+ feet of 12G romax...

Not to mention a few kilometers to the substation, or a few hundread to the
power plant!

--
Jim H jh
@333
Badger

Arny Krueger" wrote in message
"ReadThis" wrote in message
[...]

I'm not sure I see your point. The skin effect is what it is. No one's cable
can make it do other wise, and no one can hear it anyway.
I think thats the point.
Maybe I'm missing something?
Clay

Ethan Winer

RT,

Found this very interesting article

I'm all for debunking nonsense, but in the guise of doing that I spotted
this howler:

"We generally recommend about 5-7% of total system cost."

In my opinion $10 is the most one should spend on a normal length of speaker
cable, regardless of how much the rest of the system cost.

--Ethan

Arny Krueger

. com
"ReadThis" wrote in message
[...]

Agreed.

No one's cable can make it do other wise, and no one can hear it anyway.

Agreed. I see irony in an article that says that skin can be ignored
referencing an article that talks about the effects of skin effect.

I think that's the point.

I see that as your point...

Maybe I'm missing something?

It's not all that important, anyway.

Arny Krueger

"Ethan Winer" ethanw at ethanwiner dot com wrote in message

RT,

Found this very interesting article

I'm all for debunking nonsense, but in the guise of doing that I
spotted this howler:

"We generally recommend about 5-7% of total system cost."

Agreed, this doesn't belong in any factual discussion of audio gear. It
fails on two counts - one being that percentage breakdowns of system costs
are often bogus, secondly because paying $70 for cables in a $1000 system is
like paying about $50 too much.

In fact the interconnects that come with the components generally suffice,
and $20 worth of 12 gauge should suffice for most if not all systems, even
5.1 systems.

In my opinion $10 is the most one should spend on a normal length of
speaker cable, regardless of how much the rest of the system cost.

Agreed for a 2 channel system.

C G

Ethan Winer wrote:

RT,

Found this very interesting article

I'm all for debunking nonsense, but in the guise of doing that I spotted
this howler:

"We generally recommend about 5-7% of total system cost."

In my opinion $10 is the most one should spend on a normal length of speaker
cable, regardless of how much the rest of the system cost.

Interesting eh? Same goes for the rest of the cables. The only reason
I can see for spending more on cables is if I need more of them, not
because I bought a more expensive receiver.
Stuart Stebbings

[...]

Actually genrleman
I think you are being a little unkind and selectively quoting.
If you read the entire article the says that 5-& % is the absolute
maximum and uses a phrase like "spend as little as is reuired to get
the job done"

He also goes on to say that there is nothing wrong with spending if
you want the aesthestics of a particular cable brand.

The overall feel of the article is the same as your own views. Maybe
the problem is the poor grammar and writing style.?

Dave Plowman

In article ,
Stuart Stebbings wrote:
He also goes on to say that there is nothing wrong with spending if
you want the aesthestics of a particular cable brand.

Quite. If I spent a fortune on designer gear and you could see the back,
I'd expect to spend a fortune on designer cables.

If only they sold them on looks rather than performance the argument could
end right here...

--
*If a thing is worth doing, wouldn't it have been done already?

Dave Plowman London SW 12
RIP Acorn
Ethan Winer

Stuart,

The overall feel of the article is the same as your own views.

Yes, thanks for keeping this on point.

--Ethan

Stuart Stebbings

"Ethan Winer" ethanw at ethanwiner dot com wrote in message ...
Stuart,

The overall feel of the article is the same as your own views.

Yes, thanks for keeping this on point.

--Ethan

I re-read my post... My word what terrible typing. Many apologises for that!

I shall slope off and do some practice.
Gene DellaSala

Greetings all. First time reader and poster here so bear with me. I

noticed criticism in my article about my recommendation for 5-7% of

system budget in cables. My statement here was not absolute and was

meant as a maximum expenditure. I believe I commented on this is a

feedback post at the actual interview forum.

I have also discussed this in our Cable Budget Guidelines at:

http://audioholics.com/techtips/buyi...ble_budget.php

For more links to our cable articles, check us out at:

http://audioholics.com/techtips/audi...les/cables.htm

Again, our stance is, we don't condemn high priced exotic cables so

long as the vendor doesn't promote bogus and untruthful claims and the

product performs well. Hey what's wrong with spending high dollars for

a beautifully crafted cable to dress up your system so long as it

measures at least as well as ordinary $.50/ft 10AWG Zip Cord? There

is something to be said about cosmetics after all, else none of us

would buy designer watches.

Best Regards;

Gene DellaSala (GDS)

President of Audioholics.com

"Pursuing the Truth in Audio"

Where audio and video equipment undergoes rigorous objective and

subjective tests by our staff, ensuring that marketing slogans

aren't the only guideline for your home theater choices.

Website: http://www.audioholics.com

Forums: http://www.audioholics.com/cgi-bin/i.../ikonboard.cgi

AUDIO CABLES VFTECH General 0 November 10th 03 03:01 AM
Audio Source vs. Cambridge Audio vs. NAD vs. Adcom Mark General 8 August 5th 03 07:39 PM
-Ultimate Audio Reviews Online- Steven R. Rochlin General 0 August 5th 03 05:21 PM
switching audio between two rooms...? Dave Plowman General 3 July 20th 03 02:05 AM
fix audio files [email protected] General 1 July 15th 03 05:44 PM