Trevor

Default Leslie Hot Rod

To whom it may concern,
I'm trying to biamp my new Leslie Speaker model 122A. My master plan
is to use the stock 40-watt amp to drive only the horn and a Mackie
SR1530 for the low-end duties. The Mackie is a solid-state tri-amped
system. In this scheme, I won't need the services of either the Mackie
mid or upper drivers. In other words I'll be using the Mackie amp to
power only its woofer, which now resides in the Leslie cabinet.

Here is the cut and paste spec sheet for the Mackie SR1530:

SR1530 Specifications
System:
Freq. Range (-10 dB)
40Hz - 20kHz
Freq. Response (-3dB)
45Hz - 18kHz
Horz. Coverage Angle (-6dB)
90°
Vert. Coverage Angle (-6dB)
40°
Directivity Factor; DI(Q)
10.77 (11.95) averaged 2kHz to 10kHz
Rated Maximum SPL (peak)
126dB @ 1m
Crossover Points
700Hz, 3,000Hz

Transducer:
Low-Frequency:
Diameter
15-inch (381mm)
Power Handling
300 watts Dynamic Program Power

Mid-Frequency:
Diameter
6-inch (152mm) diameter
Power Handling
100 watts Dynamic Program Power

High Frequency:
Exit Throat
1-inch (25.4mm)
Power handling
100 watts Dynamic Program Power

Amplifiers:
Low-Frequency Power Amplifier:
Rated Power
300 watts @ Low-Frequency Driver Impedance
Rated THD
0.05%
Cooling
Class AB Convection Extrusion

Mid-frequency amplifier:
Rated Power
100 watts @ Mid-Frequency Driver Impedance
Rated THD
0.01%
Cooling
Class AB Convection Extrusion

High-frequency amplifier:
Rated Power
100 watts @ High-Frequency Driver Impedance
Rated THD
0.01%
Cooling
Class AB Convection Extrusion

Being more musician than electrician results in the following
Shortcomings of knowledge;

Do I need a load of any kind where the mid and upper drivers were so
the Mackie amp doesn't suffer any ill effects from only being
connected to the woofer? (e.g. make amp run to hot, not at peak
efficiency, shorten its life, etc…)

If I need to have a dummy load where the mid and upper drivers were,
what is the best way to go about this. Just wire in the appropriate
resistor? If so what is the appropriate resistor?

The Leslie 122A is a 40 watt tube amp. I plan to put a load (16 ohm
10 watt resistor) on it where the original woofer was after the
crossover. Is that the best way to do it? The way I understand it
the woofer, driver and crossover all are 16ohm in the Leslie 122.

I would like to optimize the power going to the driver w/o alteration
of the driver's sound. Will running the amp into the crossover then
into the upper driver with a dummy load where the woofer was complete
the task? Or am I missing something here?
The driver is the new Leslie Ferro-fluid 100 watt driver.

I would be much obliged for any help I can get on this project.
Thanks.
Sincerely,
Trevor
I. Care

In article , =20
says...
To whom it may concern,=20
I'm trying to biamp my new Leslie Speaker model 122A. My master plan
is to use the stock 40-watt amp to drive only the horn and a Mackie
SR1530 for the low-end duties. The Mackie is a solid-state tri-amped
system. In this scheme, I won't need the services of either the Mackie
mid or upper drivers. In other words I'll be using the Mackie amp to
power only its woofer, which now resides in the Leslie cabinet.
=20
Here is the cut and paste spec sheet for the Mackie SR1530:=20
=20
SR1530 Specifications
System:
Freq. Range (-10 dB)
40Hz - 20kHz
Freq. Response (-3dB)
45Hz - 18kHz
Horz. Coverage Angle (-6dB)
90=B0
Vert. Coverage Angle (-6dB)
40=B0
[...]

What kind of auto are you going to fit all of this gear into? Will a=20
Leslie 122A Church Organ speaker fit into an automobile

This newsgroup is rec.audio.car.

Try posting to:

rec.audio.high-end
rec.audio.pro
rec.audio.tech

Mark Zarella

We welcome off topic.

However, I can't answer your questions. I'm not familiar with the equipment
you're referring to.

om...