RB

Default what do I need to do?

What are the the steps to getting an mp3 file on my hard drive from an
external audio source such as a tape deck?

I know I need to put cables between the deck and computer audio in, and
that, when other things are set up and ready, I then need to play the tape.

The part I'm fuzzy on is:

1. what software do I play the tape through in the computer? I have Nero,
Real Player, and Media Player. Is it any or none of these?

2. does the computer automatically make separate mp3 files for each piece
of music when the music stops? If so, it would seem I could simply play
through a whole reel and have however many separate files that ends up
being.

3. Or, is start-stop of the mp3 file governed by something I'm expected to
do on the computer side?

4. Or, is start-stop of the mp3 file to be controlled by my turning the
tape deck off at the end of each piece of music?

Todd H.

"RB" writes:
The part I'm fuzzy on is:

1. what software do I play the tape through in the computer? I have Nero,
Real Player, and Media Player. Is it any or none of these?

Do you have Nero Wave Editor? That appears to have recording
capability so you can extract the contents of your tapes into the
digital domain. Once you get teh file in WAV, any number of programs
such as musicmatch.com (musicmatch jukebox) can help you convert
uncompressed WAV into mp3. You may find that if you're interested in
archiving your tapes, mp3 isn't a terribly great format for doing so
as it does contain audible artifacts of the lossy compression. I'd
keep the files in WAV format at least until you burn an audio format
CD of them for archival purposes. From there, mp3 format would be
useful for compact storage on your hard disk, or portable audio
player.

2. does the computer automatically make separate mp3 files for each piece
of music when the music stops? If so, it would seem I could simply play
through a whole reel and have however many separate files that ends up
being.
3. Or, is start-stop of the mp3 file governed by something I'm
expected to do on the computer side?

Some but not all recording software has a notion of creating new
tracks when it hears enough "silence." They're not always fool-proof
though. Worst case, you open a WAV editor and place track markers and
cut the files manually in the WAV editor. Goldwave.com makes an
excellent shareware WAV editor if you don't like Nero WAV editor.

4. Or, is start-stop of the mp3 file to be controlled by my turning the
tape deck off at the end of each piece of music?

Usually not... as the recording programs that do automatically
"trackify" things don't differentiate between turning off the tape
player and relative silence on the tape. Conceptually, they just look
for a low audio level that lasts a couple seconds. The threshold is
usually adjustable to accomodate for scratchy records, or hissy
tapes.

You'll also find these entries in the CD-R Frequently asked questions
list helpful:
http://www.cdrfaq.org/faq03.html#S3-12

http://www.cdrfaq.org/faq03.html#S3-12-2

Best Regards,