Gear Lust

Default WTB: Telefunken U47 (Original)

Hi. I am looking for an original, unmodified Telefunken U47 with a
vf14 tube and a m7 capsule. Please include the serial number in your
email to me, so I can confirm that it has not been reported stolen.
Must see pictures of the inside and have original power supply. I can
pay with Paypal, or other methods which provide financial protection,
do not ask for a cashier's check without proof from a third party(ie
Klaus Heyne) that the mic works very well. I will consider mics with
a problem if discounted accordingly and disclosed from the beginning.
Thank you for you time,

David Satz

Gear Lust wrote:

Hi. I am looking for an original, unmodified Telefunken U47 with a
vf14 tube and a m7 capsule.

I hope you're aware that Telefunken acted solely as the distributor for
this microphone, and that it is in fact simply a Neumann U 47 with a
Telefunken badge on it; there is no other difference between a Neumann
and a Telefunken U 47 from any given period of the microphone's production.

I hope you're also aware that very nearly all M 7 capsules which were ever
originally installed in Neumann CMV 3, U 47, U 48 or M 49 microphones have
deteriorated severely by now; the PVC substrate of the membranes dries out
and develops cracks, causing drastic changes in the tensioning and thus
the resonant properties of the capsule. No U 47 of today can sound like
the U 47 originally sounded, and insisting on an M 7 capsule is a sure
way to make sure that you do NOT get a sound much like that of the
original U 47.

A Mylar-based Neumann K 47/49 replacement capsule, in good condition
(which an M 7 will almost certainly not be) won't sound identical to
the original M 7--but it is likely to be closer than any deteriorated
and cracked M 7 that you're likely to find for sale used.

As I said, just making sure that you aren't deluding yourself about these
matters ...

--best regards
mark

I have 6 restored U- 47's and my favorite is one rebuilt by BLUE w/ a
KK-47 capsule and an EF-14 tube (same sound easier to replace) Mic has
a Tele badge but as the writer said that's only a cosmetic diff. I
actually have a U-67 w/ a Tele badge. Not sure how that could have
happened, but it is cute.

Have two other identical looking ones that aren't quite as sensational
sounding. We went through close to 10 capsules for those two mics but
never found any that sounded quite as good as the original mic.

I have one dead mint original 47 w an M-7 "glue"capsule. Haven't used
it in years, but it sounded fantastic last time I heard it (maybe 6
years ago). The glue capsules can survive if the mic was well cared
for. Mine came from Gotham audio and had been in storage since the
early 60's. Still has the factory decals and instruction labels btw.

(David Satz) wrote in message . com...
Gear Lust wrote:

[...]

David Satz

mark wrote:

I have 6 restored U- 47's and my favorite is one rebuilt by BLUE w/ a
KK-47 capsule and an EF-14 tube (same sound easier to replace) Mic has
a Tele badge but as the writer said that's only a cosmetic diff. I
actually have a U-67 w/ a Tele badge. Not sure how that could have
happened, but it is cute.

Telefunken was still distributing Neumann in much of the world when the
U 67 was introduced--though not in the United States any more--so there
definitely were (and are) U 67s with Telefunken labels on them. I have
Telefunken sales literature for the U 67 from this time; the same series
of brochures also includes Telefunken-labeled Beyer and Sennheiser
microphones.

But: My understanding, and the fairly clear wording in BLUE's literature
and on their Web site, is that their restorations always use their own
capsules, not Neumann's. How did your restored U 47 come to have a
Neumann Mylar capsule in it? Did they install that, or did you?

(It's not KK 47, by the way--that would be the entire screened capsule
head of a U 47. "KK" = "Kapselkopf" in German while "K" = "Kapsel". The
two are equivalent only in the small-diaphragm models in which the entire
capsule head is the only interchangeable unit, e.g. the KK 84.)

I have one dead mint original 47 w an M-7 "glue"capsule. Haven't used
it in years, but it sounded fantastic last time I heard it (maybe 6
years ago). The glue capsules can survive if the mic was well cared
for. Mine came from Gotham audio and had been in storage since the
early 60's. Still has the factory decals and instruction labels btw.

My point was that for the microphone to approach what a U 47 was meant
to sound like originally, there's a higher probability at this point
that a new K 47/49 capsule would have closer behavior to the design
ideal than an M 7 in the condition which one typically finds these days.
It's a statistical "bell curve" type of situation--and the main part of
the bell has long since tolled for most Neumann (Berlin) M 7 capsules,
all of which are 40+ years old by now. 40 years is a plausible life span
for a Mylar diaphragm, but very unlikely for one that is PVC-based.

Even a diaphragm that doesn't have spider cracks will no longer have the
tension and elasticity which it had originally, and thus will not have
the same resonant properties. Certainly there's a thrill value to owning
an old, original microphone--but on average, one would probably get a
closer approximation of the original U 47 sound from a new Mylar capsule.

Besides, it isn't quite realistic to speak of one original U 47 "sound"
since all the responsible manufacturers change the materials and methods
used in the production of their microphone as times change--so the "sound"
of that series of microphone (generically) will change over time anyway.
Gord

How about this one?
http://telefunkenusa.com/products/sh...tem=7&cat=mics

Gord

David Satz

Gord wrote:

How about this one?

Are you serious?

Copyright, patent and trade mark law are complicated, and they differ in
different countries. Several years ago, a provision (some would call it
a loophole) in the U.S. trademark law allowed someone who, as far as I
know, had no previous relationship to Telefunken or AEG, to acquire the
Telefunken name and trade marks in North America. Those trade marks
weren't being used here and hadn't been renewed by their owner (which,
as far as I can determine from a few hours' research on the Web, might
actually be Daimler/Chrysler).

Then a Mr. Fishman who, as far as I know, also had no previous relationship
to Telefunken or AEG, licensed the use of those trademarks in North America
(only) from the first person, and began to make and sell copies of various
discontinued Neumann and AKG microphone models with "Telefunken" markings.

Wow, that sure is gonna make his copies sound just like the originals!
I mean, as long as they are used in North America (only). Because, like,
paying someone a fee to license those trademarks--that carries some very
potent magic, man.

Here, now, have another toke ...

OK, for real: Telefunken acted as North American distributor for the
Neumann U 47, but apart from the Telefunken VF 14 tube in the amplifier
circuit, they played no known role in the design or production of the
microphone. So even if the original Telefunken company still existed,
there'd be nothing to license from them except the name and logo. And
even those things were never really original in the case of the U 47;
they were only added on to the Neumann product for its distribution via
Telefunken.

A similar arrangement existed with Schoeps, Sennheiser and Beyer--stock
microphones of all those companies were sold with Telefunken logos on
them, but [AEG] Telefunken had no clue about how to make them. And other
companies played roles similar to Telefunken's, such as Siemens and
Philips; that doesn't mean that Siemens or Philips knew, let alone
determined, what went into the products.
Gord

Are you serious?

Their Elam 251 has received nothing but praise from absolutely every
review I've ever read of it. Don't you think that with the reissue 251
they might deserve some credit for knowing how to accurately reproduce
a vintage classic? If they can build a replica 251 that, to the best
of my knowledge, everyone thinks it sounds *exactly* like an original,
could they not replicate a great sounding example of a U47? What's the
difference?

At the risk of sounding stupid, I am serious. I am planning on
ordering a 251 this year, and was contemplating their U47, but it
seems like no one here's tried it and I'd be afraid to be the first,
unless they have a cool return policy.

I've noticed that http://www.mistyhillaudio.com has a bunch of cool
old mics. Are they reputable?

Cheers,
Gord
Scott Dorsey

Gord wrote:
Are you serious?

Their Elam 251 has received nothing but praise from absolutely every
review I've ever read of it. Don't you think that with the reissue 251
they might deserve some credit for knowing how to accurately reproduce
a vintage classic? If they can build a replica 251 that, to the best
of my knowledge, everyone thinks it sounds *exactly* like an original,
could they not replicate a great sounding example of a U47? What's the
difference?

They got some things right about the 251 copy, and they got some things
wrong. I can't really talk about either one right now.

But, I'll say that making a 251 is easier than making a U47, especially
when you have the original drawings for the 251 and some of the original
tooling. The 251 tube is a current production item and not a big deal.
The U47 tube is unobtainable.

We also have the marketing issue that everybody out there has a different
sense of what the U47 should sound like, since they have all been listening
to mikes with a huge variation in sound due to poor aging. No matter what
you do, you can't please all of them.

At the risk of sounding stupid, I am serious. I am planning on
ordering a 251 this year, and was contemplating their U47, but it
seems like no one here's tried it and I'd be afraid to be the first,
unless they have a cool return policy.

They do have a cool return policy, as do most of the high end mike
manufacturers. You have to, in order to sell into that market.

I've noticed that http://www.mistyhillaudio.com has a bunch of cool
old mics. Are they reputable?

Dunno them, but there are a lot of these things out there. Unfortunately
there is an even larger market for them now.

David Satz

I wrote:

[lots of stuff that was on the hotter side of cool]

and I'd just like to add, since no one else seems to have done so: The
"U 47M" offered by "Telefunken USA" is said to be a good microphone. My
rant was aimed solely at their branding strategy, which repulses me since
I perceive it as a particularly gross form of hype. In fact it is hype
on top of hype, since the entire notion of "vintage" microphones is, to
my way of thinking, more or less a trap for fools.

Unfortunately my marketing instincts tell me that it is also a relatively
effective form of hype, and that is the biggest reason for me to hate it.
I sympathize with those who struggle hard to put out a decent product, who
do not necessarily put a big promotional gloss on that product, and who
now have to compete with this image-based, borrowed-name-brand approach.
And I hate the fact that a person who has enough money and ambition can
buy his way into what I consider an unfair position of advantage.

But it is only a position of advantage to the extent that people _buy_
the hype, and that's the very sorriest piece of the whole sorry picture.

The parallels (and the practical overlap) between contemporary American
product marketing and contemporary American politics upset me greatly.
We are living in a time in which so many people have bought so much hype
for so long that enormous damage is being caused on a daily basis. I
don't wish to spell it out more plainly than that here, and should not
need to do so.

I probably shouldn't let those feelings determine my reactions to a
microphone which I've never used or heard--but in this case, I did. I
think I would be too embarrassed to own such a microphone even if one
were given to me for free. I would be more inclined (at least in my
imagination) to auction it off and donate the proceeds to a cause such
as Amnesty International.

If anyone, including Mr. Fishman, would like to test my resolve on that
score, I'm available to play my part in the experiment.

--best regards
Scott Dorsey

Bob Chandler wrote:
(Scott Dorsey) wrote in message news:

But, I'll say that making a 251 is easier than making a U47, especially
when you have the original drawings for the 251 and some of the original
tooling. The 251 tube is a current production item and not a big deal.
The U47 tube is unobtainable.

They mention on their website that they have a limited amount of NOS
VF 14 tubes. The model they sell with the VF 14 is about $1500 more
than without a tube for BYO VF 14 tube owners I presume.. I think
they're offering it with a nuvistor as well.

Yup. This makes sense.

There's no mention of the capsule except that it's made in Germany.
I've been under the impression that the PVC capsules don't sound the
same as mylar capsules even if they're brand new. They haven't
addressed the diaphragm material on their site.

Absolutely.

Doesn't Geffel make the M7 capsule with either PVC OR mylar
available?

Yes, and the PVC one is probably as close as you can get to the original.
The Telefunken reissue capsule is most definitely not made by Geffel,
though.

Gord

Thanks, guys. I really appreciate your help.

So.....What current new microphone on the market today best
approximates the sound of a good old U47? Blue Bottle? E47?

Take care,
Gord
Scott Dorsey

Gord wrote:

So.....What current new microphone on the market today best
approximates the sound of a good old U47? Blue Bottle? E47?

This is a hard question because I'm not sure what a good old U47 really
sounds like. I've heard dozens of U47s, and they all sound different.
I suspect most of this has to do with aging. The process by which the
PVC diaphragms get brittle and fail produces a particular sound that
a lot of people seem to like and some people don't like.

The thing is that the folks who have made modern U47 copies have basically
all started with their notion of what the U47 should sound like, from the
mikes they have preferred. A lot of folks have told me how dull-sounding
the Lawson is, for example, compared to their idea of what a U47 should
sound like, but I think it's close to what I remember the U47s at Master
Sound as being like years ago. It doesn't have the sharpness from the
brittle diaphragm. Is it accurate? I dunno. Is my memory accurate?
I dunno that either. But it matters less that it's accurate than that you
like it.

We don't have any U47s today that sound like they did originally so it's
hard to know what is accurate. Don't get caught up in all the hype, just
buy a microphone that you like the sound of.

Toni Fishman

To Mr. Satz,

Talk is cheap & so are most microphones made today.

I don't post to the forums often but some of you thoughts & views
have got my attention.

If you would like to demo our current microphone line up you can call
on us any time.

We'll be happy to put any of our mic's up against Original's or even
your personal microphones.

We're sure you will be able to hear a difference in our capsules, see,
feel the quality craftsmanship of our products.

As to some of your comments and thoughts & views posted in this forum.

You seem to have many opinions concerning our business practices,
marketing & US Trademark.

We would like to meet you face to face & go over the fact's.

That way you will be clear as to how this all came to light.

You can call my private LA cell # if you wish (323)823-0104

I'm currently located in Hollywood California.

We have sold aprox. 75) Ela M251's, 8) Ela M270's 15) U47 M & 12)
Ela M12's this year.

"So many of our microphones have made there way to the recording
industries top Producer's and Artist's."

-- Kind Regards,

Toni Fishman

www.telefunkenusa.com

Telefunken North America, LLC.
300 Pleasant Valley Road Suite (E)
South Windsor Ct. 06074 USA

Office (860)882-5919
Fax (860)882-5980
Cell (860)306-8080

I wrote:

[...]

Toni Fishman

Gord wrote:
Are you serious?

Their Elam 251 has received nothing but praise from absolutely every
review I've ever read of it. Don't you think that with the reissue 251
they might deserve some credit for knowing how to accurately reproduce
a vintage classic? If they can build a replica 251 that, to the best
of my knowledge, everyone thinks it sounds *exactly* like an original,
could they not replicate a great sounding example of a U47? What's the
difference?

They got some things right about the 251 copy, and they got some things
wrong. I can't really talk about either one right now.

Hello, I'd like to know what exactly you "think" we got wrong?
Absolutely every part is the same as the original in every way. We
even tested & sampled all of original materials in a forensic
laboratory. We have the documentation to prove it.

The only two changes in the entire system are in the Power Supply.

1) We deleated the world band voltage treminal.
2) We updated the termination between the power supply / mic cable?

If there is any questions please feel free to call me.

-- Kind Regards,

Toni Fishman