Joe Foe

Default Upgrade or go with new?

I'm considering on getting a used Pioneer SP-99D (which is a older unit/not
made any more)
http://www.innerear.on.ca/electronic...eer-sp-99.html
to add to my system that includes a Pioneer VSX 9900S (that I have had
since new 1991)
http://tinyurl.com/337bg
DVD/CD player, two VCR's, Digital Cable, self powered sub and speakers
(speakers purchased 1991) I'm happy with but want better surround sound
basically.
I'm not sure if this is a good idea or I would be smarter to just go with a
new head unit and leave my VSX 9900S to gather dust. Please offer the pros
and cons. Thank you in advance.
Joe Foe from Buffalo :-)

Steve Yeung

I have been using the SPD99 with a 6 channel Kenwood power amp for years and
have been very satisfied.
I am so satisfied that I still can not justified to spend money to upgrade
to a pre with 6.1 or 7.1 and DTS or
a receiver with such features. The only problem I found with the SPD99 is
that it do not have enough inputs.
I have the following boxes that I want to hook up to it - Sat receiver that
uses optical link. one LD player that
uses AC3 RF and 2 DVD players ( one is all region and NTSC/PAL but does not
give as good picture as
the other one ). So I am short of a digital input.

I think you can buy a used SPD99 ( as long as it is cheap ) and use the
VSX9900 as power amp.

Steve