Achilles Vassilicos

Default WTB Phono stage

I want to buy a phono stage for my system. I have been out of the loop for
a few years, don't know what's out there now.

I have been using a Mark Levinson No. 28 preamp with built-in phono stage,
VPI MkIV, Glider. The phono stage of the ML is now shot. I could have it
fixed, but I am thinking maybe not.

Can you folks give me some info? I enjoy a lot my vinyl collection.

Thanks - Achilles

lilanick

Yaesu Achilles,

Depends how much you want to spend.

I use a sonic frontiers signature phono preamp which I like very much.
It's a tubed unit which got excellent reviews a few years ago in
Stereophile. You can use magnetic, low to high output moving coils.
They are warm yet detailed and very musical. This preamp, by the way,
was designed by a gentleman who now works for Audio Note.

They show up on audiogon.com and canuckaudiomart.com (a Canadian audio
site) once in a while, and I've seen some go for as little as $500. I
paid $1600 CDN for mine and it was a demo. .

I've two tables: a Linn LP12 and Oracle Alexandria II. I use the Glider
on the Oracle and a Troika on the Linn. It's easy to switch from one to
the other with the sonic frontiers. If you don't want to spend the
money, and your Glider is a high output version then there are quite a
few less expensive solid state units out there.

Good luck,

Nick Pulos (Anagnostopoulos)