smullen

Default Charging System Questions

I have a few questions on the charging system in my truck; which is a 2000
Chevy S-10 Blazer w 4.3L Vortec.

This winter I am re-doing my audio system. I already have most of the audio
components and I can already tell the current draw is gonna kill me...

Althgether, I will have about 7000 Watts. What kind of charging system will
I need to handle this? I'd rather have overkill than be lacking as I want
this to be reliable...

I really don't want to waste money, but I want to do it right if that makes
sense...

I guess what I am looking for is a few ideas, from the front of truck all
the way back to the Power Distrubution Blocks... I'll handle the rest..

--
Scott Mullen
V.P. Team X Rated

Http://www.teamxratedstl.com

Brandon Buckner

What equipment will you be using and do you know the max current draw? A
decent guesstimate would be to count up all the fuse ratings. You will
probably never hit it, but you definitely wont be lacking. If it is a
signifigant amount higher than your stock alt, you may want to look into
a new HO alt.

Brandonb

smullen wrote:
I have a few questions on the charging system in my truck; which is a 2000
Chevy S-10 Blazer w 4.3L Vortec.

This winter I am re-doing my audio system. I already have most of the audio
components and I can already tell the current draw is gonna kill me...

Althgether, I will have about 7000 Watts. What kind of charging system will
I need to handle this? I'd rather have overkill than be lacking as I want
this to be reliable...

I really don't want to waste money, but I want to do it right if that makes
sense...

I guess what I am looking for is a few ideas, from the front of truck all
the way back to the Power Distrubution Blocks... I'll handle the rest..

Gravity

For 7000 you'll prolly need 2 HO alternators. And plenty of deep cycle
batteries . The GM stock alternator on S-trucks puts out 100 Amps, and
(According to my MotoMaster power inverter) 900 Watts is 75 Amps.

:-D I just cut the cheese!

smullen wrote:
[...]

Daniel Snooks

smullen wrote
I have a few questions on the charging system in my truck; which is a 2000
Chevy S-10 Blazer w 4.3L Vortec.

This winter I am re-doing my audio system. I already have most of the

audio
components and I can already tell the current draw is gonna kill me...

Althgether, I will have about 7000 Watts. What kind of charging system

will
I need to handle this? I'd rather have overkill than be lacking as I want
this to be reliable...

In my response I made the assumption that the 7000W is at 14.4V. Please
provide more detailed information ... what amps?
I really don't want to waste money, but I want to do it right if that

makes
sense...

I guess what I am looking for is a few ideas, from the front of truck all
the way back to the Power Distrubution Blocks... I'll handle the rest..

@ 7000W you would in the ballpark of 500A (at 14.4V). The chances of
surviving while physically being in the car with the system pinned are
pretty much non-existent. That being the case, I would think the alternator
only needs to deliver about 1/3 of that juice, so ~160A.
This would allow the sound system to soak up around 2000W while driving the
vehicle (a bit excessive, but it is your call, note that this allows for the
car using around 20A for things besides audio)
As for burping the system while the car is not running, you want the
batteries to be able to deliver the full 500A for as long as possible
without the voltage dropping off. I am not an expert on multiple battery
setups, so I won't try to BS some crap about you needing 5 Optima Yellows or
what ever ...

anyone else on the battery setup?

--
Regards,