yvrwfc

Default with/without amp?

hi,
im a car audio newbie... i am going to upgrade my car stereo (new vehicle
from stock ).. and wonder the significance of adding an amp to the system?

given limited budget, i wud go for new front speakers/tweeters, wiring and
spend $ in a good installation (i'm not a handy type. and rely on others'
expertise)... if i hv surplus $, would you upgrade the Head Unit? or add an
amp? (of course, ideally doing both is the best, i assume.. but given budget
is limited)...

type of music i enjoy is more like - jazz/vocals/classical/easy listening
etc.

appreciate comments..

w.

Paul Vina

Upgrade the speakers first. They are without a doubt the biggest problem
with your stock setup unless you have a Bose system and that's a whole
different ballgame.

Paul Vina

"yvrwfc" wrote in message
hi,
im a car audio newbie... i am going to upgrade my car stereo (new vehicle
from stock ).. and wonder the significance of adding an amp to the system?

given limited budget, i wud go for new front speakers/tweeters, wiring and
spend $ in a good installation (i'm not a handy type. and rely on others'
expertise)... if i hv surplus $, would you upgrade the Head Unit? or add

an
amp? (of course, ideally doing both is the best, i assume.. but given

budget
is limited)...

type of music i enjoy is more like - jazz/vocals/classical/easy listening
etc.

appreciate comments..

w.

Larry Durst

Yea upgrading your speakers would help for doing it first. But when I
installed a head-unit to my old stock system... it would hit like it came
with a subwoofer in it. I would go for a head unit first then speakers.
Most head unit's will send signal's and frequences ( dunno how to spell it )
a different way and that may be the ticket your looking for.

Good luck.

--
You make fun of what you are really afraid of... and thats us......

2002 Dodge Viper Venom 1000 Twin Turbo by Hennessey Performance Engineering
( www.HennesseyPerformance.com )

Power Output: 900 - 1300 hp

Tested Acceleration: 0-60 in 1.85 sec., 1/4 mile in 8.93 sec. @ 150+ mph
(AND that's only with the optional auto transmission and drag tires).

"yvrwfc" wrote in message
[...]

Mark Zarella

Paul Vina wrote:
Upgrade the speakers first. They are without a doubt the biggest problem
with your stock setup unless you have a Bose system and that's a whole
different ballgame.

Not necessarily. This all depends on what the stock system is.
Sometimes it's advantageous to add an amplifier first.

Paul Vina

He wasn't complaining about the overall volume, just the sound. If he
wanted it louder I'd say add the amp, but for strictly a SQ upgrade all he
needs is speakers. I agree an amp would help, but I don't think it's
necessary.

Paul Vina

"Mark Zarella" wrote in message
.. .
Paul Vina wrote:
Upgrade the speakers first. They are without a doubt the biggest

problem
with your stock setup unless you have a Bose system and that's a whole
different ballgame.

Not necessarily. This all depends on what the stock system is.
Sometimes it's advantageous to add an amplifier first.

sanitarium

I agree with Paul.
If you are completely satisfied with the volume level then go for a speaker
upgrade first.

If you are dis-satisfied in any way with the db level then go for an amp
upgrade next.

I say go for the headunit upgrade last. Many times the SQ difference
between some OEM heads and after market units can not be fully realized
without a high end amp and speaker set, to expose the subtle differences.

Of course YMMV depending on the SQ of your OEM head.

Good Luck,
Garrett
"yvrwfc" wrote in message
hi,
im a car audio newbie... i am going to upgrade my car stereo (new vehicle
from stock ).. and wonder the significance of adding an amp to the system?

given limited budget, i wud go for new front speakers/tweeters, wiring and
spend $ in a good installation (i'm not a handy type. and rely on others'
expertise)... if i hv surplus $, would you upgrade the Head Unit? or add

an
amp? (of course, ideally doing both is the best, i assume.. but given

budget
is limited)...

type of music i enjoy is more like - jazz/vocals/classical/easy listening
etc.

appreciate comments..

w.

Mark Zarella

He wasn't complaining about the overall volume, just the sound.

He was complaining about the sound. That could be a speaker problem or
an amplifier problem, or both.

If he
wanted it louder I'd say add the amp, but for strictly a SQ upgrade all he
needs is speakers. I agree an amp would help, but I don't think it's
necessary.

How do you know?

Paul Vina

Having had lots and lots of customers complain of the same problem and
having solved it by changing speakers. Plus, he said he was on a limited
budget. If you don't have a ton of money I would go speakers since with an
amp you need all the additional wiring and labor not to mention he'd need an
LOC or two.

Paul Vina

"Mark Zarella" wrote in message
He wasn't complaining about the overall volume, just the sound.

He was complaining about the sound. That could be a speaker problem or
an amplifier problem, or both.

If he
wanted it louder I'd say add the amp, but for strictly a SQ upgrade all

he
needs is speakers. I agree an amp would help, but I don't think it's
necessary.

How do you know?

Mark Zarella

Paul Vina wrote:
Having had lots and lots of customers complain of the same problem and
having solved it by changing speakers.

It can often be slved more effectively with an amplifier. Why do you
insist on all these sweeping generalizations? What about the many stock
systems out there that have decent enough stock speakers but are
woefully underpowered? What about the people out there that like to
listen at perhaps a slightly louder volume than the stock HU can provide
(you know, about 90% of people out there).

Plus, he said he was on a limited
budget. If you don't have a ton of money I would go speakers since with an
amp you need all the additional wiring and labor not to mention he'd need an
LOC or two.

Bang for the buck, Paul.

Paul Vina

So you're telling me adding an amp will make a bigger difference than
changing the speakers. The things that actually produce the sound. No way.
I'm not saying there won't be some audible differences, especially with
stock speakers, but *nothing* will change it as dramatically as replacing
the speakers.

now that I reread the post he said he was going to change the speakers first
anyway so this is a moot point. His question was deciding between a HU or
an amp. In that case I'd say go with the amp.

Paul Vina wrote:
Having had lots and lots of customers complain of the same problem and
having solved it by changing speakers.

It can often be slved more effectively with an amplifier. Why do you
insist on all these sweeping generalizations? What about the many stock
systems out there that have decent enough stock speakers but are
woefully underpowered? What about the people out there that like to
listen at perhaps a slightly louder volume than the stock HU can provide
(you know, about 90% of people out there).

Plus, he said he was on a limited
budget. If you don't have a ton of money I would go speakers since with

an
amp you need all the additional wiring and labor not to mention he'd

need an
LOC or two.

Bang for the buck, Paul.

Mark Zarella

So you're telling me adding an amp will make a bigger difference than
changing the speakers.

That's not what I'm saying. I'm saying it CAN. You, on the other hand,
are trying to convince us that all stock systems are the same, all
listener tastes are the same, and so all people need to upgrade their
speakers first. I disagree with that stance.

The things that actually produce the sound. No way.
I'm not saying there won't be some audible differences, especially with
stock speakers, but *nothing* will change it as dramatically as replacing
the speakers.

Sometimes, sometimes not. If his stock HU is woefully lacking in power,
then it's probable that he's significantly driving it into clipping even
at moderate volume levels. If this is the case, then the best speakers
in the world will sound like total hell. In addition, it's not uncommon
to change out the stock speakers and then have the system sound WORSE!
Do a google search if you haveb't encountered this symptom before.

wicked1

I agree on the amp first idea. That has always made a HUGE difference in my
experience. Even adding a little Jensen 25x2 amp and ran all 4 spks for a 2
ohm load for years in my 84 bronco. That amp was so small it fit up behind
the radio.It was alot better to listen to as you could finally hear
it.Another experience was replacing all 4 spks in my 92 escort with a set of
kenwoods with factory headunit no amp. It sounded worse.No bass at all. Just
real tiny from so little power.Everytime I get another car I throw in a high
power cd deck on the stock spkrs and its a world of difference.Not to say
the spkrs wont help but not with wimpass factory heads.damn in high