Mike Faust

Default Help installing Infinity speakers...

First let me start off by saying I don't know a whole lot about installing
car audio systems. My sister bought a pair of Infinity Kappa 63.5i's and I
told her I would install them figuring I would just take the old ones out
and put these in until I opened the box and the speakers came with two
little crossovers which I have absolutely no clue how to install. In the
installation guide it says that they connect in-line to an amplifier output
and is required for proper operation. It also says not to leave out the
crossovers or it will damage the speakers. So do I need a seperate amplifier
to install these or can I use the pre-amp on the reciever? If I can use the
reciever, how do I connect the wires to it, there are no connectors on the
ends of the wires. If anybody has installed speakers like these or if you
know about this kind of stuff, please help. Here is the link to the web page
for these speakers, when you get there click on Owners Manual and you can
see what I am talking about. Thanks alot in advance.

http://www.infinitysystems.com/carau...ProdId=KAPPA63.
5I

Daniel Snooks

Mike Faust wrote
First let me start off by saying I don't know a whole lot about installing
car audio systems. My sister bought a pair of Infinity Kappa 63.5i's and I
told her I would install them figuring I would just take the old ones out
and put these in until I opened the box and the speakers came with two
little crossovers which I have absolutely no clue how to install.

The crossover is very necessary. It seperates the low frequency and high
frequency signals. You will notice that there are 4 speakers in the set. Two
large ones (the 6 1/2") and two small ones (the 1"). There is a diagram
included in the instructions that shows how to properly wire the system.

In the
installation guide it says that they connect in-line to an amplifier

output
and is required for proper operation. It also says not to leave out the
crossovers or it will damage the speakers. So do I need a seperate

amplifier
to install these or can I use the pre-amp on the reciever?

You can use the head unit. The reason you would want a separate amp is
because the head unit is not very powerful (~18W RMS at full volume). If
your sister is happy with the results of running the speakers from the head
unit ... great :-)

If I can use the
reciever, how do I connect the wires to it, there are no connectors on the
ends of the wires.

You need to remove the factory connectors that are/were attached to the
factory speakers (which you are now replacing) and splice them onto the
wires of the crossover.

If anybody has installed speakers like these or if you
know about this kind of stuff, please help. Here is the link to the web

page
for these speakers, when you get there click on Owners Manual and you can
see what I am talking about. Thanks alot in advance.

http://www.infinitysystems.com/carau...ProdId=KAPPA63.
5I

Hope any of that helps at all.

--
Regards,
Dan Snooks

james w

The speaker wires that went to the old speakers should now go to the "in"
side of the crossover. Follow the directions to connect the tweeters and
woofers to the "output" side of the crossovers. Amplify at your (or your
sister's) discretion. You will probably find they are underpowered with the
headunit's speaker amp. The the rca outs on your head unit will not power
those speakers (or any other speaker that I know of).

. ..