Lee

Default Alpine 9815 Questions & Advice

Hi there,

I wonder if some of you could offer me some advice, and/or point me in
the direction of some useful URLs? I'm planning to upgrade my factory
stereo system to something that will "sound damn good" TM, but I'm
pretty ignorant when it comes to car (or 'home' for that matter) audio.

I'm pretty certain that I'll buy the Alpine 9815 Head Unit. I think most
of you will agree that it's a good deal? The product spec reads:
Preamp Outputs: 3 pair
Peak Output: 60 Watts
RMS Power Output: 27 Watts

It also mentions that it has it's own internal amp, but I've been told
to get an amplifier anyway as the difference in performance will be very
noticeable.

By budget is around $1000, which I'm hoping is more than enough. I don't
want a system that will wake the neighbourhood up - just something
that's crisp, clean, bassy! As well as the Alpine 9815, I'd like to buy
an amplifier, a subwoofer, and at least one new set of speakers. Do I
need to replace both sets? Should I?

Okay, so here are my questions:

1) What am I looking for in an amplifier? What kind am I looking for?
Any recommendations?

2) If I replace both sets of speakers, should they all be the same, or
are there advantages to different sets at the front/rear?

3) What am I looking for in a subwoofer? I'm not bothered whether it
sits in the trunk, or on the floor of the back seat. It can look ugly as
sin for all I care.

I'd read the manual if there was one.

Thanks very much in advance for any replies.

- Best regards,
Lee

PS: What would a typical install price for a complete system in the
SouthWest be? A ballpark figure is good enough...

Paul Vina

Do I need to replace both sets? Should I?

Nope, just worry about the fronts.

1) What am I looking for in an amplifier?

I'd use a 4-channel model for now to run the fronts and sub(s) so if you
decide to add more power for the sub you can add a dedicated sub amp and run
the 4 channel to the rears as well as the fronts.

What kind am I looking for? Whatever fits your budget and will power your
speakers adequately.

Any recommendations? Bazooka EL460, JBL 80.4 both come to mind for a

solid budget amp.

2) If I replace both sets of speakers, should they all be the same, or
are there advantages to different sets at the front/rear?

Don't worry about the rear since the fronts will be doing 90% of the work.
Spend more money on a nicer set of front speakers.

3) What am I looking for in a subwoofer? I'm not bothered whether it
sits in the trunk, or on the floor of the back seat. It can look ugly as
sin for all I care.

I'd look at an Image Dynamics IDQ10 or 12 for your budget. Put it in an
appropriately sized sealed enclosure and you'll be good to go.

Paul Vina

Steve Grauman

I'm pretty certain that I'll buy the Alpine 9815 Head Unit. I think most
of you will agree that it's a good deal?

It is. Although I found the Eclipse CD8443 and Blaupunkt San Francisco CD72 to
be more attractive for the price. OTOH, that had more to do with the fact that
I hate Alpine's user interface than anything else.

It also mentions that it has it's own internal amp, but I've been told to
get an amplifier anyway as the difference in performance will be very
noticeable.

On a tight budget, and with lower-line speakers designed for low-power, the
deck's internal amp will work OK. If you want to get into mid-level and higher
speakers, you'll want an external amp. The difference will be noticeable.

By budget is around $1000, which I'm hoping is more than enough.

$1,000 is more than enough for a strong, basic system. But with only $1,000 for
everything, you might want to consider not spending $500 or more of it just on
the deck. Pioneer and Blaupunkt will give you more for your money at a lower
price point. Say, around $250-300.

I don't
want a system that will wake the neighbourhood up - just something
that's crisp, clean, bassy!

Take a serious look at Alpine's Type R components. *Great* mid-bass and
reputable build quality, without blowing up the bank. You didn't say what kind
of car that this is going in, or if you're concerned about good sound for your
passengers. But a front-stage setup (which is usually ideal) with Type R's up
front and a competant sub in the back should provide exactly what you're
looking for.

As well as the Alpine 9815, I'd like to buy
an amplifier, a subwoofer, and at least one new set of speakers. Do I
need to replace both sets? Should I?

That depends on how happy you are with the rear speakers, how well they work,
and what you want to use them for. If you're looking for a system where the
rear passengers are getting sound as good as what you are, then you'll probably
find the stock speakers seriously lacking aganist the new front units. On the
other hand, you can upgarde the fronts, and run the rear speakers at low volume
for fill, or cut them out of the loop completely. These are options you should
consider, and will probably more easily allow you to keep the rear speakers
that you've already got.

1) What am I looking for in an amplifier? What kind am I looking for?
Any recommendations?

You have a couple of options:

1. Buy a 2-channel for the front speakers and a mono amp for the sub

2. Buy a 4 channel amp, use 2 channels to run the front speakers, with the 2
channels normally used for rears bridged down into one channel to drive the
sub.

3. You can buy a 4 channel amp and let it drive the front and rear speakers,
and buy a mono amp for the sub.

4. You can use a 2-channel to drive the front speakers, the deck's internal amp
to drive the rears for fill-sound, and a mono amp to drive the sub.

5. You can cut the rears out totally and use the amp setup from option one to
drive the fronts and sub.

2) If I replace both sets of speakers, should they all be the same, or are
there advantages to different sets at the front/rear?

The best option for the rear, if you must put speakers back there, is a pair of
2 or 3-way speakers. Rear components with a seperated tweeter tend to want to
pull the sound backwards, away from where it should be, up front with you. This
can be taken care in a couple of different ways, but why go through the hassle?
If you go with those Type Rs in front, a set of Type R or even Type S speakers
in back would be great.

3) What am I looking for in a subwoofer? I'm not bothered whether it
sits in the trunk, or on the floor of the back seat. It can look ugly as
sin for all I care.

I'll make this easy for you. Get Type R components for the front, a pair of
Type R 2 way speakers for rear fill, and a Type R or JL W3 series sub for the
back. If what you're looking for is a clean, crisp sound with good bass, and
without blowing the bank, this is a fantastic setup. Alpine now sells the Type
R subs in pre-made boxes.

I'd read the manual if there was one.

It's called the Car Stereo Cookbook. Pick up a copy.