jsmooth

Default Alpine MRV amps any good? run cool?

I am looking at an Alpine MRV-F303. Any thoughts on this unit?

John

Steve Grauman

Alpine's V12 series amps have always been of good quality. The chances of it
frying itself or being otherwise troublesome are slim. Although I've heard that
they took a quality dip since Alpine switched from their old manufacturing
plant to a new one in China, which is reportedly not as good.
Gmac

I like the alpine amps for speakers not subs. Yes they run coool

--
Gmac

Paul Vina

Why don't you like their subs? They're freakin' awesome, especially for the
price. They've gotten worlds better since the old Bass2000 pieces of crap.
One of the Best sounding out IMO.

Paul Vina

"Gmac" wrote in message

I like the alpine amps for speakers not subs. Yes they run coool

--
Gmac
Gmac's Profile:

http://www.realcaraudio.com/forums/m...info&userid=10
View this thread:

http://www.realcaraudio.com/forums/s...threadid=11008

Jason Whorton

Hi. I think he is saying that he doesn't like to use Alpine amplifiers to
run subwoofers, but he likes to use them to run other frequency range
speakers.

Thank you,
Jaosn Whorton

********************************

"Gmac" wrote in message

I like the alpine amps for speakers not subs. Yes they run coool

--
Gmac
Gmac's Profile:

http://www.realcaraudio.com/forums/m...info&userid=10
View this thread:

http://www.realcaraudio.com/forums/s...threadid=11008

Steve Grauman

Why don't you like their subs? They're freakin' awesome, especially for the
price.

I've listened to the Type R subs several times with a friend considering their
use in his car. While I'll agree that they are *good* subs, both in terms of
sound quality and build quality, I've never been overly impressed by them.
Maybe I've been listening to them improperly, but they seem easily overworked
in comparison to the similarly priced JL Audio product. Although this doesn't
mean I entirely dislike them, at lower and medium volume levels, they produce
good, strong bass, and will probably never have any problems related to build
quality.
capone

alpine amps are good...i like the new digitals..nice design

--
capone

Paul Vina

I've listened to the Type R subs several times with a friend considering
their
use in his car. While I'll agree that they are *good* subs, both in terms

of
sound quality and build quality, I've never been overly impressed by them.
Maybe I've been listening to them improperly, but they seem easily

overworked
in comparison to the similarly priced JL Audio product. Although this

doesn't
mean I entirely dislike them, at lower and medium volume levels, they

produce
good, strong bass, and will probably never have any problems related to

build
quality.

I agree that the JL's (except the W7's) are more efficient, but I think the
Type-R's had a little more midbass energy. Right out of the box I think the
JL's are a better SQ sub, but with eq I like the Alpine's better since there
is less boosting to do and sub seems less strained at high volumes. Again,
this was with eq and without I'd go the other way.

Paul Vina

Ge0

What do you know about their design? Interested...

--
Ge0
TeamAMP #4 - tech whiz type of guy
Low cost car stereo equipment repair/ modification
Contact me for advice or a quote.
Always interested in buying dead equipment too.
Looking for answers on car stereo topics?
www.mobileaudio.com
www.teamrocs.com
http://go.to/bcae/
Geo uses:
Main Stage = a/d/s/ 336is.2
Rear fill = a/d/s/ 335is.2
Subs = Audiomobile Mass 2012 S24
Head unit = Alpine DVA-7996
Processor = Alpine PXA-H700
Sub Amp = a/d/s/ P4100.2
Main & rear fill amp = a/d/s/ P840.2
www.microheat.com
"capone" wrote in message

alpine amps are good...i like the new digitals..nice design

--
capone
capone's Profile:

http://www.realcaraudio.com/forums/m...fo&userid=1723
View this thread:

http://www.realcaraudio.com/forums/s...threadid=11008

Steve Grauman

but I think the
Type-R's had a little more midbass energy.

I'll agree there. But I tend to prefer a sub with better low freq. response and
"tighter" bass to one with strong mid-bass response. In addition, my big
complaint of the Type R subs is that they seem to go to hell when driven hard.

Paul Vina

I like them with extended low end as well, which the Alpine has, but it's
not as noticeable because of the midbass. Kind of like a JL in that
respect. I never ran into a situation where the sub lost control or "went
to hell" when I was cranking the crap out of mine, but that could be
anything like the amount of power, type of box or the program material.

Paul Vina

"Steve Grauman" wrote in message
but I think the
Type-R's had a little more midbass energy.

I'll agree there. But I tend to prefer a sub with better low freq.

response and
"tighter" bass to one with strong mid-bass response. In addition, my big
complaint of the Type R subs is that they seem to go to hell when driven

hard.

Steve Grauman

I never ran into a situation where the sub lost control or "went
to hell" when I was cranking the crap out of mine, but that could be
anything like the amount of power, type of box or the program material.

Any number of factors could have affected my experiances with the Type R subs I
listened to. The last time I heard one, we were using it during playback of the
Audislave CD. There were a couple of tracks, number 7 in particular, where at
high volume, the sub got "clappy" and seemed overwoked. It just didn't sound
composed. Given, this is not a particularly expensive subwoofer, so maybe it's
just held back by the price point Alpine built it to be at.

Gmac

Jason Whorton wrote:
*Hi. I think he is saying that he doesn't like to use Alpine
amplifiers to
run subwoofers, but he likes to use them to run other frequency
range
speakers.

Thank you,
Jaosn Whorton