sanitarium

Default Simple DVC question...

If I have a dual voice coil subwoofer can I use 2 separate mono amps, one to
power each coil?
Will I damage the voice coil?
In this setup how do you ensure each amplifier gain is set at identical
levels? (many amp gain levels screen printed on the amp are not exactly
identical from amp to amp.)

Thanks,
Garrett

Mark Zarella

If I have a dual voice coil subwoofer can I use 2 separate mono amps, one
power each coil?

Yes.

Will I damage the voice coil?

Not unless you overpower the coils.

In this setup how do you ensure each amplifier gain is set at identical
levels?

You can do it with an o-scope, or even a meter with a cd with relatively
low frequency sine waves. Or you could simply set them to the same point on
the dial. Contrary to popular belief, it's not essential for you to set
them at identical levels.

Kevin McMurtrie

In article ,
"Mark Zarella" wrote:

If I have a dual voice coil subwoofer can I use 2 separate mono amps, one

power each coil?

Yes.

Will I damage the voice coil?

Not unless you overpower the coils.

In this setup how do you ensure each amplifier gain is set at identical
levels?

You can do it with an o-scope, or even a meter with a cd with relatively
low frequency sine waves. Or you could simply set them to the same point on
the dial. Contrary to popular belief, it's not essential for you to set
them at identical levels.

A much easier way is to temporarily cross-bridge the two amps out of
phase. There's no sound when the levels are matched. If both amps have
bridged outputs, you can cross bridge them to produce two perfectly mono
signals from a stereo source.

Level test, adjust for no sound

\ /
+---||-----+
| |
| | | |
| | | |
- + - +
amp amp
mono mono

Two mono signals from stereo bridged amp outputs:

\ /
+------||------+
| |
| \ / |
| +--||--+ |
| | | |
| | | |
- + - +
amp amp
L R

Simple question, but I don't know the answer misifus General 4 February 20th 04 02:32 PM
Newbie question: What software 2 use 4 recording 2 x AES/EBU (2xstereo) bERt General 0 January 26th 04 03:27 PM
Simple Radio Gravity Car Audio 0 August 8th 03 08:08 AM
simple question Mark Zarella Car Audio 1 August 1st 03 12:25 PM
simple crossover question Jive Dadson General 1 July 25th 03 07:23 PM