Schizoid Man

Default Suggestions for receiver and speakers

I've been using a pair of JMLab Chorus 706 bookshelfs with a Cambridge
Audio 500SE CD player and a Marantz SR4120 receiver for the last couple of
years and have been exceedingly happy.

I was thinking of replacing my receiver first. Any suggestions for a good
sub-$400 receiver? I considered an integrated amp, but I really do need a
tuner. I would even consider a power amp and use the Marantz as a pre.

My next project is to replace my JMLabs. There's a shop called Audio Vision
San Francisco close by and they seem to be a big Triangle dealer, which is
another brand that I have heard good things about. Any recommendations for a
good pair of sub-$800 bookshelfs?

Schiz

MINe 109

"Schizoid Man" wrote:

I've been using a pair of JMLab Chorus 706 bookshelfs with a Cambridge
Audio 500SE CD player and a Marantz SR4120 receiver for the last couple of
years and have been exceedingly happy.

I was thinking of replacing my receiver first. Any suggestions for a good
sub-$400 receiver? I considered an integrated amp, but I really do need a
tuner. I would even consider a power amp and use the Marantz as a pre.

My next project is to replace my JMLabs. There's a shop called Audio Vision
San Francisco close by and they seem to be a big Triangle dealer, which is
another brand that I have heard good things about. Any recommendations for a
good pair of sub-$800 bookshelfs?

I think Triangle has just changed their model lineup; the dealer here is
discounting their Titus bookshelf demonstrator pair. Maybe you could get
a similarly good deal.

Amp-wise, NAD 320BEE and keep the Marantz as a tuner. Or maybe Parasound
still has cheap amps.

Stephen
Marc Phillips

Jeff S said:

I have heard that the Triangle speakers are very good,Made in France I
believe,a friend of mine has a pair and his only complaint was that the high
end is sometimes harsh,

French speakers in general can have a slightly lightweight balance when
compared to British and American speakers. The French seem to like their hi-fi
on the cool, detailed, and analytical side, and aren't really too concerned
with the deepest of bass. Still, the Triangles are really nice for the money,
and the new cosmetics are a big improvement over the old.

Boon
Michael McKelvy

"Jeff S 386 Fla" wrote in message
I have heard that the Triangle speakers are very good,Made in France I
believe,a friend of mine has a pair and his only complaint was that the
high
end is sometimes harsh,

That seems to me to have more to do with the recordings and the artist's
choices than with good speakers. I find that much of current popular music
sounds that way when heard live, even in very good venues.

If the response is reasonably flat in the upper octaves, then you are
probably getting the sound that you were expected to hear.

The way most speakers are designed these days, I find many of them sound
similar in a given price range. You can look at other brands that you know
have good support for their products and choose what sounds best to you,
besides, you can always turn the treble down.