James \Cubby\ Culbertson

Default Receiver, Speakers, etc...Question

Hiya,
First off, I've been out of the audio "knowledge" if you will for some time.
The last component I bought was a Nakamichi
reciever some 15 years ago. I'm in a new home and am looking for some help
in deciding how to outfit it. I'm leaning towards
a Home Theater type setup with a Yamaha RX-V650 (or maybe the 750....I'd
still like to listen to my vinyl) to start. I should mention,
neither me or my wife are audiophiles and I really don't want to spend more
on the system than I did on my house! A few dilemmas I was
hoping to get some advice on:

1. Will this receiver work ok to play audio cd's? I know it's largely
geared towards DVD's and home theater but was hoping it would work
ok with audio CD's as well.
2. The receiver is probably a bit of overkill actually for my application.
I won't be able to run rear speakers unless wireless and my understanding
is wireless units are still pretty poor. I'm hopeful that a few years down
the road, there will be wireless speakers that are decent. I can't run
wiring in the location, hence no rear speakers.
3. What sort of speaker setup would you recommend for this application
given #2 above?

Any other general advice you may have is most appreciated.
Cheers,
jlc

Kalman Rubinson

On Wed, 8 Dec 2004 20:27:14 -0700, "James \"Cubby\" Culbertson"
wrote:

Hiya,
First off, I've been out of the audio "knowledge" if you will for some time.
The last component I bought was a Nakamichi
reciever some 15 years ago. I'm in a new home and am looking for some help
in deciding how to outfit it. I'm leaning towards
a Home Theater type setup with a Yamaha RX-V650 (or maybe the 750....I'd
still like to listen to my vinyl) to start. I should mention,
neither me or my wife are audiophiles and I really don't want to spend more
on the system than I did on my house! A few dilemmas I was
hoping to get some advice on:

1. Will this receiver work ok to play audio cd's? I know it's largely
geared towards DVD's and home theater but was hoping it would work
ok with audio CD's as well.

It will work just fine.

2. The receiver is probably a bit of overkill actually for my application.
I won't be able to run rear speakers unless wireless and my understanding
is wireless units are still pretty poor. I'm hopeful that a few years down
the road, there will be wireless speakers that are decent. I can't run
wiring in the location, hence no rear speakers.

OK.

3. What sort of speaker setup would you recommend for this application
given #2 above?

2 for stereo. Mebbe a subwoofer, if needed.

Kal
Rui Pedro Mendes Salgueiro

"James \"Cubby\" Culbertson" wrote:
I'm leaning towards
a Home Theater type setup with a Yamaha RX-V650 (or maybe the 750....I'd
still like to listen to my vinyl) to start.

Get the 750. Apart from the phono input, it has a better remote. You can
read the manuals
http://www.yamaha-audio.co.uk/pdfs/manuals/RXV650.pdf
http://www.yamaha-service.de/service...50_english.pdf

1. Will this receiver work ok to play audio cd's? I know it's largely
geared towards DVD's and home theater but was hoping it would work
ok with audio CD's as well.

Yes.

--
http://www.mat.uc.pt/~rps/

..pt is Portugal| `Whom the gods love die young'-Menander (342-292 BC)
Europe | Villeneuve 50-82, Toivonen 56-86, Senna 60-94
Michael McKelvy

"James "Cubby" Culbertson" wrote in message
[...]

Check with Home Depot, they sell some self adhesive plastic duct that is
fine for running wires, I used it for my rear channel speakers. You can
paint it and it just looks like regular molding. Wireless speakers seem
iffy to me, I believe they can pick up interference from other radio
sources.

I'm hopeful that a few years down
the road, there will be wireless speakers that are decent.

There may be now, and I'm not aware of them.

I can't run
wiring in the location, hence no rear speakers.
3. What sort of speaker setup would you recommend for this application
given #2 above?

If you can find good wireless speakers and they are shielded so you could
have a center channel near the TV, get as many as you want to have channels,
plus a sbuwoofer. You will have to run wire to the sub or do without one,
but I think the duct I spoke of will do the trick.

Any other general advice you may have is most appreciated.
Cheers,
jlc

James \Cubby\ Culbertson

Thanks folks. Appreciate the inputs. I am really dependant on the
industry putting out decent wireless speakers
however as there is no way to run wires without running them over openings
(such as sliding doors, and wide openings into the
dining area) etc.... The small ducts from HD won't work unfortunately.
I'm actually considering one of the Yamaha "Theater
in the box" type of setups as well. I may just have to use wired speakers
and pull them out when we watch movies.

Anyway, thanks for helping me out.
Cheers,
cc

Joseph Oberlander

James "Cubby" Culbertson wrote:

Thanks folks. Appreciate the inputs. I am really dependant on the
industry putting out decent wireless speakers
however as there is no way to run wires without running them over openings
(such as sliding doors, and wide openings into the
dining area) etc.... The small ducts from HD won't work unfortunately.
I'm actually considering one of the Yamaha "Theater

They sell molding for your room/baseboards that had a channel
cut into it for running cables.

James \Cubby\ Culbertson

I know. Unfortunately, I have a tile floor and tile baseboards (saltillo).
A plastic moulding won't work for this especially
as there are 8' openings as well to somehow traverse. Unless I dig into
the walls or tile, I'm pretty well stuck with wireless options for
rear speakers.
Thanks,
cc

"Joseph Oberlander" wrote in message
ink.net...

James "Cubby" Culbertson wrote:

Thanks folks. Appreciate the inputs. I am really dependant on the
industry putting out decent wireless speakers
however as there is no way to run wires without running them over
openings (such as sliding doors, and wide openings into the
dining area) etc.... The small ducts from HD won't work unfortunately.
I'm actually considering one of the Yamaha "Theater

They sell molding for your room/baseboards that had a channel
cut into it for running cables.

Joseph Oberlander

James "Cubby" Culbertson wrote:

I know. Unfortunately, I have a tile floor and tile baseboards (saltillo).
A plastic moulding won't work for this especially
as there are 8' openings as well to somehow traverse. Unless I dig into
the walls or tile, I'm pretty well stuck with wireless options for
rear speakers.

Sorry. I meant tile and wood moldings exactly like the ones
you have, or you can alter some yourself if the tile is thick
enough. They also make flat cable.

Rui Pedro Mendes Salgueiro

"James \"Cubby\" Culbertson" wrote:
I know. Unfortunately, I have a tile floor and tile baseboards (saltillo).

What colour ir your ceiling ? If it is white, you may able to glue
a white (not too thick) speaker cable on the junction between walls
and ceilings and get something discrete.