Bob Simon

Default Jogging Radio

I like to listen to FM while jogging because I don't have to
pre-record anything. (I also put it on if I want to continue with an
NRP news story when I get to a store.) I need several presets so I
can quickly jump stations when a commercial comes on.

I bought a Panasonic RF-SW50 but the sensitivity and selectivity are
surprisingly poor. Does anyone know of a sports radio that has a
decent fm section?

--
Bob Simon
remove both "x"s from domain for private replies
TCS

On Thu, 02 Dec 2004 17:29:36 -0600, Bob Simon wrote:
I like to listen to FM while jogging because I don't have to
pre-record anything. (I also put it on if I want to continue with an
NRP news story when I get to a store.) I need several presets so I
can quickly jump stations when a commercial comes on.

I bought a Panasonic RF-SW50 but the sensitivity and selectivity are
surprisingly poor. Does anyone know of a sports radio that has a
decent fm section?

no. they're all poor due to the antenna design.

Bob Simon wrote in message . ..
I like to listen to FM while jogging because I don't have to
pre-record anything.

Suggest you look around the following web site:

http://www.fixup.net/

http://www.fixup.net/products/index.htm

http://www.fixup.net/tips/index.htm

http://www.fixup.net/tips/pktradio/pktradio.htm

The owner of the above web site comments on, sells, and modifies the
little Walkman-style radios. It's an interesting web site and he has
some worthwhile thoughts on other matters.

You might also look for the portable Sangean radios, which I haven't
ever seen or heard, but I've read on the web are good. Sangean makes
some of the Radio Shack radios too. See:

http://www.sangean.com/pocket.html

Also search newsgroups and web via Google.com for more comments on
models such as the Sangean DT110.

An interesting (although expensive) new alternative, which I haven't
tried:

http://www.xmradio.com/myfipromotion/index.jsp

http://www.xmradio.com/

I'm guessing there will be similar products eventually from both
Sirius and XM, and that eventually these satellite rario receivers
will shrink in size.

I'm guessing that if you Google around newsgroups and the web, there
might be an increasing amount of info about the Delphi portable XM
receiver.

For example:

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=delphi+xm+myfi

http://groups.google.com/groups?q=de...sa=N&scoring=d

(I also put it on if I want to continue with an
NRP news story when I get to a store.) I need several presets so I
can quickly jump stations when a commercial comes on.

I think you can get NPR from Sirius and/or XM. Also, the portable XM
receiver has a built-in recorder, so you can record your shows, even
if you need to step into a store.

I bought a Panasonic RF-SW50 but the sensitivity and selectivity are
surprisingly poor. Does anyone know of a sports radio that has a
decent fm section?

See above. For portable FM radio, there may be other sites beyond Dr.
Xin's, but I admit I haven't looked beyond his.

I'm no expert on these portable FM radios, so I can't offer much
advice. Unfortunately, I live in a terrible area for radio reception,
so unless I'm willing to put up an outdoor antenna someday, I won't
get decent FM reception, so I don't think much about FM, including FM
portables. Very frustrating, because I get great reception in my car
and in every other part of my city that I ever lived in before!
Bob Simon

Thank you for the informative reply. I will check out all the sites
you referred me to.

Re XM: I'm still hopeful that I can find a quality FM receiver in a
"sports radio" package.
Bob