James Nipper

Default Decent Turntable for College Student??

My son wants a decent turntable for occasional use. Single play type is
preferred.

He can't spend much money, but wants something decent and with a decent
cartridge and needle.

Any tips would be helpful. Thank You!

--James--

Mark D. Zacharias

Mid-late '70's to mid-'80's Technics direct drive, except for the Mk II
series which had chronic cueing problems, find them on eBay.

Don't get the belt-drive versions - their motors are dying like flies with
no replacement parts available. The DD models last almost forever.

Grado cartridge, or good condition used Shure. Don't recommend Pickering or
Stanton except for ruggedness. They just don't sound very good. Grado
Prestige Black is all the cartridge most people will ever need, and can be
found all over the 'net for 40.00 or less.

Mark Z.

"James Nipper" wrote in message

My son wants a decent turntable for occasional use. Single play type is
preferred.

He can't spend much money, but wants something decent and with a decent
cartridge and needle.

Any tips would be helpful. Thank You!

--James--

James Nipper

Thanks Mark !!

--James--
New Geoff

"James Nipper" wondered...

My son wants a decent turntable for occasional use. Single play type is
preferred.

He can't spend much money, but wants something decent and with a decent
cartridge and needle.

Any tips would be helpful. Thank You!

I'm guessing you are Stateside, so you would need to check on dealers in
your area, but the 'Project Debut' is inexpensive and makes nice noises.
They even have a version with a built-in RIAA unit to bring it up to line
level. A basic Ortophon cartridge comes as standard fitting, but here in
the UK they offer a discount if you want to 'upgrade' the cartridge.

_______
Geoff B

Ron Hardin

The Audio Technica AT-PL50 is cheap and I like mine, for getting at
those ancient LPs that I have a few boxes of.

I think J&R had it for $69 recently if briefly, and it's not much more
now

http://www.jr.com/JRProductPage.process?Product=3307829

--
Ron Hardin