SaxoBoy

Default Sony STRDB 1080 problem - Video but no sound,says "PROTECTED"

hi all,
my friend's sony strdb 1080 (which he's had for about 2 1/2 years) was
working perfectly one night,switched it on the next day and has no sound at
all. video still comes through fine.
the display says "PROTECTED"
we've opened it up and everything looks fine,fuses ok etc.
have also tried holding the power button ,which resets it,no difference at
all.
any help much appreciated,
cheers,
col

anybody-but-bush

Either there is something wrong with the speaker and wiring, or the amp thinks there is
something wrong with the speaker and wiring, or the amp has gone south. That usually means the
protection circuitry is preventing the amp from smoking the speaker. Did you used to hear a
relay click right before the sound came on?

Phil Abbate
"SaxoBoy" wrote in message
: hi all,
: my friend's sony strdb 1080 (which he's had for about 2 1/2 years) was
: working perfectly one night,switched it on the next day and has no sound at
: all. video still comes through fine.
: the display says "PROTECTED"
: we've opened it up and everything looks fine,fuses ok etc.
: have also tried holding the power button ,which resets it,no difference at
: all.
: any help much appreciated,
: cheers,
: col
:
:

Murray Peterson

"SaxoBoy" wrote in
:

my friend's sony strdb 1080 (which he's had for about 2 1/2 years) was
working perfectly one night,switched it on the next day and has no
sound at all. video still comes through fine.
the display says "PROTECTED"

Check the speaker wires and connections -- a short circuit will cause this.

SaxoBoy

"Murray Peterson" wrote in message
"SaxoBoy" wrote in
:

my friend's sony strdb 1080 (which he's had for about 2 1/2 years) was
working perfectly one night,switched it on the next day and has no
sound at all. video still comes through fine.
the display says "PROTECTED"

Check the speaker wires and connections -- a short circuit will cause

this.

thanks guys,
am seeing him fri. night,so will check it all then
he has it wired to speakers in the kitchen aswell (everythinhg has been
working fine the time he's had the amp) so will check it all,try unplugging
kitchen speakers etc.
cheers,
col