Mark & Michelle Barrett

Default Nakamichi LX-3 Logic Problem

HI Folks,

Just bought an LX-3 "everything works" off eBay and it arrived today.
After a major cleaning and a partial alignment; the deck plays just
fine. However, it will not record. Pushing rec + play puts the deck in
some unknown mode - the head assy lifts, but, there's no movement from
the reels - the tape will not advance. As I said, it plays, ff's, rw's
fine. I removed the front cover and cassette well faceplates and noticed
the control cam gear does not exactly line up in "S" and "PY" when in
those modes - its close though. In rec + play, the cam gear almost lines
up in the "CU" position. Using an LX-5 service manual, I performed the
cam offset adjustment with VR's 602 & 603. It now lines up in "S" and
"PY" on the mark. "PS" and "FF" are close. Rec + Play still gives "CU"
(not "PY" as I think it should).
Does anyone have an idea of what may be wrong ?
I guess the only suspicion I have is maybe I have a defective component
on the Control Switch PCB assy associated with the rec button (??)
although the red light next to the rec button lites up. The only thing
I'm for sure of is that the cam gear is displaying "CU" when rec+play is
pushed and it should be displaying "PY" which leads me to believe it is
not getting into Rec mode. Looks like the deck is going into cue mode
when rec+play is pushed.
I could use any of your suggestions.
Thanks,

Mark
Trevor Wilson

"Mark & Michelle Barrett" wrote in message
[...]

**I can't recall seeing this problem, but I would bet that the position
sensor pot is buggered. Try cleaning it, to see what happens. I presume you
installed a new assist belt?

--
Trevor Wilson
www.rageaudio.com.au

Tim Schwartz

Hello,
Is the mode motor off to the right of the mechanism finishing its
cycle? A loose belt on the motor will cause all sorts of problems, and
record is the first mode to have problems as it it the toughest on the
belt. Make sure that the motor is not still running, which is
indicative of a loose belt.

Regards,
Tim Schwartz
Bristol Electronics

[...]

unitron

[...]

I was going to suggest that you find the Nakamichi thread on
rec.audio.misc and talk to the guy offering his services until I
realised that apparently you are that guy :-)