Gary Fritz

Default What should I use for in-wall wiring?

I'm building a home theater, and I want to wire it for 5.1 (or maybe
7.1) sound. But I'm not quite sure what I should use for wiring.

I'm on a very limited budget so I'm not going to use any solid-gold
alternatives like Monster Cable. I just want some decent conductors
that won't degrade the signal noticeably and that won't pick up excess
noise from AC wiring &etc.

Should I just run vanilla 12ga or 14ga oxygen-free copper speaker wire
in the walls? Or should I use some kind of shielded wire? (I plan to
keep the speaker runs at least 12-16" from all AC power where possible,
and cross at right angles where unavoidable.)

What about runs to a powered subwoofer? RG-6/U, or...? Is there any
real difference between RG-6/U and RG-59/U?

I also want to run a pair of lines from my preamp to an amp in another
room about 30' away. Should I use coax for that?

Thanks!
Gary
remove xxx's to email me